Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2006   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak hinting at lost confidence

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News

(on what the team is doing different between the good and bad times) “Well, just look at it. If you look at the offensive side of the ball, we have a nice drive then we come back and, I don’t know if I have the plays in sequence correctly, but we come right back and (QB) David (Carr) comes back and makes a great play on second-and-10 on a blitz, getting the ball to (RB) Ronnie (Dayne). So we get another first down there, and here we go. We got a play called with a particular type of cadence that we like to use as an advantage, and we had just done it, four plays later as a football team. And all of a sudden we can’t do it this time. We snap the ball, (and) we’re lucky that’s not a turnover. It’s just lucky that the ball bounces back to us, so some of those things like that. Then the next series we put a snap on the ground, (and) we had two false starts. It’s like a snowball, and bad teams do that. Bad offenses do that. That’s what I told the players today, and until we can get that out of our system it is hard to grow from that standpoint because it just starts happening and snowball effect. It’s hard to fight out of that. And if you look at it from a defensive perspective, we have a three-and-out to start the game. After we score, we kick off to them. They have a penalty. We really have them pinned back. We’re pretty good on first down, pretty good on second, and now we have them third-and –six. They run a shovel pass where, just between us, in all honesty, the stunt we have going on inside, it couldn’t have been any better. It couldn’t have been a better stunt to stop that play. And we got a guy out of position and we don’t make that play. And the guy goes seventy-something yards. That’s the difference in winning and losing in this league. If you’re wrong with a snap or you’re wrong with a stunt you get exposed real quick, but those are plays. And the thing we have to look at is the big picture because after those plays it continues on for a very long time. Just like I said, we have to figure out a way to fix it.”

(on how to keep the players from turning negative) “First thing you’ve got to do it convince them of some of the things that they are doing that are positive, and there are some things that we can pull from. There are some performances from people that we can pull from that we can say we need more people playing like this and doing things like this. But until something positive, something good starts to happen, I think it’s very, very difficult as a group because of the negative effect. But the only way to fight through that is to fight through that. If you’re not willing to do that, its not going to change. As I tell them, I’m willing to fight through it. It’s hard. I see a group that is willing to fight through it. I have had no problem with the group, as far as doing their work and having a positive attitude about what they’re doing. And I know these coaches are willing to fight through it. It just has to be a lot of people willing to pay a price, from an organization standpoint, to turn it around. And not one person is going to do it; it’s going to take everybody to do that.”

Sounds like alot of the teams problem is mental.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

not to be rude .. but

hellooooooooooooooo

hehe . Its definatly mental.. we just came off a 2-14 season and when things start to go wrong, the team crumbles like they just had a flashback.

Confidence and having that mental fortitude that "we can win this game, no matter what" are weaknesses for us right now. But how do you fix it? Some people say leaders in the locker room.. id say thats part of it but mostly we just need to go out there and work through it.. put in some solid play..and win some games to build our confidence back up.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep, the Texans have a mental problem.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

So maybe whoever we bring on to this team will not live up to expectactions because the team is in such a bad state. But also I wanted to discuss was how some of these players might have lost their confidence permanently.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #5
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

This may be an odd question, but does anyone know if the organization has a sports psychologist on the payroll? Several NFL teams, and many NBA and MLB teams take advantage of these consultants. One of their strengths is building players up and teaching them techniques to improve their concentration. It's an area that is underrated by many coaches, but has been shown to aid teams/players positively.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #6
tex
Veteran

Speaking of confidence has Kubiak given up on Lundy?He was talking about Dayne and Gado but nothing about Lundy.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #7
touttail
All Pro

Lundy isn't anything to talk about. Hell i thought Taylor was better than Lundy.

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2006   #8
joshri
Rookie

I think that we should just select a fan every game out of the stands and let him/her play quarterback. At least it would be interesting to watch............
joshri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshri View Post
I think that we should just select a fan every game out of the stands and let him/her play quarterback. At least it would be interesting to watch............
Old 09-26-2006   #10
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, if the problem is even 50% mental - and even I can see the snowball effect after David has a bad series and that goes double for the defense - we need to find Zig Ziglar if he is even still alive and get him down here pronto! Let him give the old bumblebees can't fly but don't know it so they do motivational speech...or anything else in his arsenal that will work.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #11
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

I was reading in a past sports illustrated, that if your team wins all the time, that attitide sticks, same as if you are losing all the time it sticks with you as well..........how do you get out of that mental mind set.....I really thought having a great pre-season outing this year.....was able to get the team in a winning mode........even after listening to Steve McKinney on sports radio 610 this morning you can tell he was even down.....he stated out of the last two years doing the radio show, they have a record of 18 losses out of 20.....only 2 wins.....how do you as a player or a coach pick yourself up from the start of a dismal beginning at 0-3......
Old 09-26-2006   #12
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS View Post
they have a record of 18 losses out of 20.....only 2 wins.....how do you as a player or a coach pick yourself up from the start of a dismal beginning at 0-3......
In the real world life is not always perfect you loose your wife, your job, you dog dies etc... But what do you do?

You SUCK IT UP and be a MAN

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read