Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2006   #1
redbul41
Rookie

Default Stop Bashing Mario Williams!!!!!!!!!

Guys, you are so pesimistic. You have to remember that he is a rookie. He will get better as the season comes along. You cant expect him to have sacks yet. He is not a speed rusher. He is a power rusher and player who MUST use technique. he is very raw, but he has all the tools to be great with GOOD coaching.
redbul41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we can bash him all we want.
#1 - He was sold to us as an all around rusher (meaning SPEED as well as power)

#2 - He has been stood up by RBs. Benching a lot doesn't mean you are a good power rusheer, and he's shown nothing other than combine #s to indicate he's a power rusher.

#3 - We were told we couldn't draft VY because he was a project. We were told we didn't draft Bush b/c we already had Davis. We were told Williams would help us out right now. So why do we have to wait for him?

Basically, he did little in college against good teams. He had a great combine, and has now shown us zero, zippo, nada on the field. I think we can complain. If it takes us 3 years to coach himinto a probwol player, it was a bad pick. A #1 overall DE should be NFL ready in his first year. Look at Peppers, Freeney, Rice, etc's numbers.
Old 09-25-2006   #3
redbul41
Rookie

He does gather double teams on almost every play, which SHOULD open up things for the other players on defense. He is getting tackles, but i agree with you, he should have at least 1 sack. Just dont forget he is a rookie.
redbul41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #4
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbul41 View Post
He does gather double teams on almost every play, which SHOULD open up things for the other players on defense. He is getting tackles, but i agree with you, he should have at least 1 sack. Just dont forget he is a rookie.
He is getting double teamed as much as I am. Sorryo is a big boy i'm sure he does not need anyone to coddle him.
Old 09-25-2006   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, you shouldn't expect pro bowl #s for a rookie. But also remember, he is the #1 OVERALL pick. That means he should be better than every other player in the NFL who is also a rookie, and we haven't seen that.

Also, watch the games again. I have only seen double teams on MW during the Philly game. He was being blocked by TEs and RBs in the Washington game. They were toying with him
Old 09-25-2006   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
If it takes us 3 years to coach him into a probwol player, it was a bad pick. A #1 overall DE should be NFL ready in his first year. Look at Peppers, Freeney, Rice, etc's numbers.
i'll take a sub-par 2 years from mario if he developes into a probowler from year 3 on ... it worries me that you wouldnt. mario williams is a very RAW talent and that was obvious before the draft. he was not going to get 3 sacks and 8 tackles in his first game, and was probably going to be slow to adjust because he's young and inexperienced. i'm not sure why people think we got him to make an immediate impact because i dont see how that'd be the case. we got him because he was the best defensive player on the board, and someone we could build this new defense around. we are an expansion team again, this time we're doing it right by drafting defense and offensive line. anybody that thinks those arent what wins games, obviously hasnt ever watched a texans game.

and for the whiners, mario williams has as many sacks as reggie bush and vince young's touchdown totals COMBINED! quite a feat when the saints played green bay and cleveland (two very poor teams).
Old 09-25-2006   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

VY has a TD pass scooter

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2006   #8
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I think we can bash him all we want.
#1 - He was sold to us as an all around rusher (meaning SPEED as well as power)

#2 - He has been stood up by RBs. Benching a lot doesn't mean you are a good power rusheer, and he's shown nothing other than combine #s to indicate he's a power rusher.

#3 - We were told we couldn't draft VY because he was a project. We were told we didn't draft Bush b/c we already had Davis. We were told Williams would help us out right now. So why do we have to wait for him?

Basically, he did little in college against good teams. He had a great combine, and has now shown us zero, zippo, nada on the field. I think we can complain. If it takes us 3 years to coach himinto a probwol player, it was a bad pick. A #1 overall DE should be NFL ready in his first year. Look at Peppers, Freeney, Rice, etc's numbers.
Its only been 3 games gimme a break lol what player in the top ten drafted this year has blown the nfl out of the water so far this year please tell me i really would like to know. All rookies have to have some kind of adjustment period allow OUR OWN to have his.. of course we want him to be the best right away but time will tell and if it takes 3 seasons for him to become a pro bowler i say that is just in time... THE 1ST OVERALL PICK CRAP IS WAY OVERRATED.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'll take a sub-par 2 years from mario if he developes into a probowler from year 3 on ... it worries me that you wouldnt. mario williams is a very RAW talent and that was obvious before the draft. he was not going to get 3 sacks and 8 tackles in his first game, and was probably going to be slow to adjust because he's young and inexperienced. i'm not sure why people think we got him to make an immediate impact because i dont see how that'd be the case. we got him because he was the best defensive player on the board, and someone we could build this new defense around. we are an expansion team again, this time we're doing it right by drafting defense and offensive line. anybody that thinks those arent what wins games, obviously hasnt ever watched a texans game.

and for the whiners, mario williams has as many sacks as reggie bush and vince young's touchdown totals COMBINED! quite a feat when the saints played green bay and cleveland (two very poor teams).
VY has played minimally and has recorded a TD. Bush doesn't get goalline carries. MW has been on almost every single defensive play. And our defense is on the field A LOT.

I don't think we should have to wait 3 years for a DE to develop if he's the #1 overall pick. I can understanding waiting for a QB to develop. Maybe even a skill player. But someone like MW should make an immediate impact. And even if he doesn't, at least he shouldn't be making a negative impact (which he is)
Old 09-25-2006   #10
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
VY has a TD pass scooter
i must've missed it, i thought he got his TD off of a fumble or something like that. either way he's got a rating of 58 and has as many INT's as TD's so i'll stand by the statement.
Old 09-25-2006   #11
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Oh, how soon we forget. What in the heck is DeMeco's excuse? He's a rookie? That kid, whom by the way is half the size of Sorryo, plays his heart out every Sunday. But you guys are right, we shouldn't expect a ROOKIE to play like a pro-bowler. The player SHOULD have it in their heart or not!

And for the record, VY threw a TD. So please stop with all the player comparisons. Bush and VY don't play here. So stop bringing up their names when Sorryo does not perform. It is pretty weak.
Old 09-25-2006   #12
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

I tend to think we should bash management for making the choice rather than Williams for being what he is...

From what I have read around here, it doesn't seem like Williams is just slacking because he was picked #1...

I think it will just be a while...he does not appear to have that fire that makes him naturally terrorized everybody on the field...thus if he is to have any chance of being worthy of his selection, he must master the mental part...that will just take time...not his fault...bash management for selecting him at the wrong spot...bash coaches for not bringing him along properly. By that, I mean moving him all over the line, I think he needs to work on technique for just one spot.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #13
gtexan02
Working?

You do realize that Bush is used as an extra offensive weapon, not the featured back. And that Vy has played only a few series, right?
Old 09-25-2006   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i must've missed it, i thought he got his TD off of a fumble or something like that. either way he's got a rating of 58 and has as many INT's as TD's so i'll stand by the statement.
no, it was a nice drive and a pass in the deep middle of the end zone. Spin isnt your strong suit.

Tennessee Titans at 07:59
1-10-TEN31 (7:59) V.Young pass short right to B.Jones to TEN 41 for 10 yards (Q.Jammer).
1-10-TEN41 (7:24) V.Young pass short left to R.Williams ran ob at SD 42 for 17 yards.
1-10-SD42 (6:53) (Shotgun) L.White left end to SD 36 for 6 yards (D.Florence).
2-4-SD36 (6:22) L.White right tackle to SD 31 for 5 yards (J.Cesaire).
1-10-SD31 (5:45) L.White left tackle to SD 31 for no gain (D.Robinson, C.Polk).
2-10-SD31 (5:05) V.Young pass incomplete deep right to B.Jones.
3-10-SD31 (4:59) V.Young pass incomplete deep left to R.Williams (B.Jue).
4-10-SD31 (4:53) V.Young scrambles up the middle to SD 19 for 12 yards (D.Edwards).
1-10-SD19 (4:15) C.Brown left end to SD 19 for no gain (T.Kiel, C.Polk).
PENALTY on TEN-B.Troupe, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SD 19 - No Play.
1-20-SD29 (4:08) (Shotgun) V.Young up the middle to SD 22 for 7 yards (C.Polk, S.Cooper).
2-13-SD22 (3:23) V.Young pass incomplete short right to D.Givens.
PENALTY on SD-S.Phillips, Defensive Offside, 4 yards, enforced at SD 22 - No Play.
2-9-SD18 (3:19) V.Young pass incomplete short right to B.Wade.
3-9-SD18 (3:13) (Shotgun) V.Young pass deep left to D.Bennett for 18 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...0060917_TEN@SD

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Everyone was so excited when Williams' story about quitting football to take care of his sister came out. We should have been scared, and realized he didn't have that obsessive love of the game that the great ones do. I think he lacks a little motivation

PS: No matter how great or terrible Vy and RB play, MW's value is determined solely by his play. So far, he's been awful
Old 09-25-2006   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder what Weavers excuse is?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I wonder what Weavers excuse is?
Weaver - 3-4 DE brought in to play 4-3 DE. Too slow to be a pass rusher?
Old 09-25-2006   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

too slow to stop the run either?

I mention him because he was our prize too and no production out these guys..

Robaire Smith? would he have helped this defense? ( I believe that was a salary cap casualty for the future)

I am flabbergasted at our front 4 and how easily this should be the most talented group of guys we have had ...(1-7)

has Gary Walker been picked up by anyone yet?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #19
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda View Post
Oh, how soon we forget. What in the heck is DeMeco's excuse? He's a rookie? That kid, whom by the way is half the size of Sorryo, plays his heart out every Sunday. But you guys are right, we shouldn't expect a ROOKIE to play like a pro-bowler. The player SHOULD have it in their heart or not!

And for the record, VY threw a TD. So please stop with all the player comparisons. Bush and VY don't play here. So stop bringing up their names when Sorryo does not perform. It is pretty weak.
wow, sorryo. i didnt know we had that many titans fans around here that were mad at the pick. do you even watch the games? point out a play where mario displays "no heart". dont worry, i'll wait. since you missed it, mario's always chasing the play and trying to pump up his teammates. he hasnt quit on a single down. where he's getting beat is on his recognition skills, something that since you're new to football, happens a lot with younger players. he misreads offensive plays and gets beat on poor decisions. the tight end that blocks mario that everyone loves to mention ... follow the whole play. once mario figures out it was a cutback on his side (which at that point is too late), mario throws the TE to the ground effortlessly. he's going to take time to learn.
Old 09-25-2006   #20
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbourda View Post

Demeco's job is read and react....mario's job is contact AT THE SNAP you cant compare the 2 mario's job is much more challenging the only thing is meco is better at what he does than mario is at his job right now.. mario needs time this is not a 3 game judgement project give it time.. realisticly how much could a few sacks by mario matter so far anyway... not much!!! our problems are much deeper than mario himself. focus on the real problem THE ENTIRE DEFENSE!!
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read