Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2006   #1
Rightnow
Veteran

Default If Capers was gone with 2-14 does Kubiak go with 1-15?

Iím not calling for Kubiakís head, but there is a possibility the only team we will beat is the Raiders. It isnít out of the question that the Titans could beat us twice. We just gave up 495 yards against the Redskins and have progressively gotten worse every week.

Nearly everyone thought that we were getting better year-by-year when we went 7-9, but demanded (including myself) Capers to be let go after a terrible season. Last yearís losses were much closer too. There is no way around it; we are a terrible football team who is worse than last yearís team.

What does this mean if we are 1-15? Does Kubiak keep his job? Are most of the assistant coaches fired? I wonderÖ
Old 09-25-2006   #2
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 79824 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice to finally see some optimism on this board. Hopefully we will get that win this season.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Dumb thread.
Old 09-25-2006   #4
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

No.

There's a huge difference between 2-14 in a coach's 4th season and 1-15 in a coach's 1st season.

Some records for 1st year head coaches:

Quote:
Bill Walsh, 2-14 (followed by 6-10).

Jimmy Johnson, 1-15.

Bill Parcells, 3-12-1.

Tom Landry was 18-46 in his first five seasons at Dallas.

Chuck Noll, 1-13.

Bill Belichick, 6-10.

Joe Gibbs, 8-8.

Bud Grant, 3-8-3.

Marv Levy, 4-12.

Dick Vermeil, 4-10.

Don Coryell, 4-9-1.

Mike Ditka, 3-6.

Weeb Ewbank, 3-9.

Tony Dungy, 6-10.

Andy Reid, 5-11

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...B?OpenDocument
Old 09-25-2006   #5
sleepwalker
Veteran

No, absolutely not.
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it depends on how that 1-15 looks. I think that firing a first year coach is always a strange thing to do.

You have essentially given the man one year to fix a 2-14 team so obviously you are asking something of him that's nearly impossible.

Having said that I think it's entirely possible that the Texans offense could start clicking and we could still end up losing games because the defense couldn't stop anyone. I'll even assert that the defense could get it together and start stopping people but we keep losing because the offense never gets on track.

If I saw one side of the ball start playing like they should be then I'd have to say we give him another year. If I saw both sides get somewhat better but it didn't translate to the win column then I'd again give him another year.

If we're giving up 500 yards a game and 30 points while our offense keeps up this 10-14 points a week with a vanishing act in the 2nd and 3rd quarters I think that he could be a candidate for the door.

That could just be leftover from my Oiler days (Bud would fire you because he didn't like the look on your face that morning) but I think if this team craters and Gary Kubiak has clearly lost them by the end of the year (which would mean he never really "had" them) then I could see it happening.

Edit
-------------------

I'd like to add that I think this very unlikely and I sure don't want to see it happen. I just think it's possible in a "worst case scenario"
Old 09-25-2006   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Dont forget John Fox in Carolina. If im not mistaken, he went 1-15, then playoffs his second year. Just an FYI
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2006   #8
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Absolutely NO chance Kubiak will be fired after this season.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink hypothetical situation question only

What if we go 0-16 and Jeff Fisher is available in the off-season?
Old 09-25-2006   #10
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Give me a break...Kubiak is in his 1st yr and has the HUGE task ahead of him to rebuild the Texans.

The only coach to get fired if we go 1-15 will be Def. Coordinator Richard Smith. It will be his head that rolls....long before Kubiak would ever be fired.
Old 09-25-2006   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
What if we go 0-16 and Jeff Fisher is available in the off-season?
Now that's just wrong man.

IF that happens this is going to be an ugly place to try and talk football so I don't want to start borrowing trouble before it gets here.

Double Barrel stop agitating the dots!
Old 09-25-2006   #12
profan
Veteran

no, we keep kubes, because i see think you will see the offense getting better. Probably will have to fire the DC as words cannot describe how bad they are playing.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Now that's just wrong man.

IF that happens this is going to be an ugly place to try and talk football so I don't want to start borrowing trouble before it gets here.

Double Barrel stop agitating the dots!
heh-heh-heh

For the record, I like Kubiak and think we should give him as long as we gave Dom to make something happen.
Old 09-25-2006   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the D coordinator could go. Not Kubiak.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #15
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
If we're giving up 500 yards a game and 30 points while our offense keeps up this 10-14 points a week with a vanishing act in the 2nd and 3rd quarters I think that he could be a candidate for the door.
Agreed, I think it could be an issue if this team continues to play this way week in and week out. Kubiak is going to have a problem if doesn't show improvement.

No reasonable people were asking for a winning season, and reasonbale expectations were 4 games as victories.

But, getting worse from last year's squad just seems to be unacceptable. How do you extend Carr's contract with the reason to make a Super Bowl championship team and your team has gets worse?

Bottom line, as bad as the team was last year, it shouldn't be that hard to expect from the new coaching staff to show improvement from the previous year. If they can't, I don't know how they will build a championship team, which was the point of David Carr's exentension and hiring Gary Kubiak.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Last time I say this: we are rebuilding, as in, we're setting ourselves up for the future. Tell me, what do the coaches in Tulip's list have in common? They went on runs, they weren't a one-and-done team, they were built for continuing success. It may be hard to go through tough times, just remember the season Dallas had before their dynasty started.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
heh-heh-heh

For the record, I like Kubiak and think we should give him as long as we gave Dom to make something happen.
Therein lies the question: does Kubiak get the same length leash Capers had? Capers took over an expansion team, but Kubiak has had more success and is installing a complicated system.
Old 09-25-2006   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Therein lies the question: does Kubiak get the same length leash Capers had? Capers took over an expansion team, but Kubiak has had more success and is installing a complicated system.

I don't think he does but I'm not saying that I think that's a good thing. I'm saying that I think he gets a little shorter leash because he's not starting from the ground up in Bob McNair's eyes and because if he tacks 3 years of failure on to Dom's 4 years of failure it will mean that the teams owner is sitting on a 7 year old franchise that's sucked from day one.

I believe that Bob McNair is a patient man but I think losing for 7 years and from day one is going to be a tough thing to get past. I think if Kubiak performs as badly as any of us can imagine he probably gets two years and is fired in or after the third.
Old 09-25-2006   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Another thing they have in common is they all started as head coaches before the advent of the salary cap and the proliferation of free agency.
...as well as the time before the extensive scouting. Teams aren't built through FA, they're built through the draft.
Old 09-25-2006   #20
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Last time I say this: we are rebuilding, as in, we're setting ourselves up for the future. Tell me, what do the coaches in Tulip's list have in common? They went on runs, they weren't a one-and-done team, they were built for continuing success. It may be hard to go through tough times, just remember the season Dallas had before their dynasty started.

Nothing was ever built when it comes the Texans!

This team has no base and Kubiak can't even field a team more competitive than last year's squad so far this season.

I'm sorry, I don't think getting worse in the situation is a good sign. Generally, I think a 1st year coach should be given a chance even if things get worse. But not in the situation because of how bad the team was last year, particularly because Kubiak's background and that he is supposed to an offensive mastermind and David Carr is supposed to be Super Bowl caliber QB to build a team around. At least that is what remember McNair saying to me as a season ticket holder.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read