Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is Mario Williams NFL ready?

There was a lot of talk about how drafting Wiliams #1 would allow us to play the #1 pick more than if we drafted Young (1-2 year project) or Bush (split carries).

All the commentators thorughout the game, a lot of the posters, and even I have noticed recently that despite having great athletic ability, he seems utterly confused in the NFL. He bites on fakes, misses on screens, and reacts too slowly almost every other time. He's not quick off the snap. He doesn't have any move other than the bull rush. He often launches himself as a tackler instead of making the solid wrap-up hit.

So here is my question: Are we rushing him into the starting lineup? We have some decent backup DEs, so why not start them and let Williams sit for a few weeks? Is it the media? Is it his confidence? Right now I actually think he is more of a liability than threat, and I would rather play Babin or Peek than continue getting poor play from someone just because he's getting $60+ million
Old 09-25-2006   #2
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

he's might be rushed into the starting lineup, but he sho' hasn't rushed no quartabacks.

(said it before anyone else to get it out of the way.)
Old 09-25-2006   #3
D-Vizzl
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 D-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballotD-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I want to hear from people who attended practices, has he ever showed any of you that he has a swim move, or did he lower his shoulder and degree his body, I have yet to see any of these two and even Courtney Brown possessed this, heck even Thomas Johnson displays signs of it.
Old 09-25-2006   #4
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Every sports news station in the country is saying Mario is raw........he might need some time to watch from the side as you stated, the pressure on him is enormous, I'm sure that does not help neither.....
Old 09-25-2006   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

If he was to sit and watch. Who's going to fill the spot? Has anyone noticed someone stepping up? From what I saw yesterday, no.
Old 09-25-2006   #6
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

he looks unready, but who doesnt look unready on this defense? mario probably isnt the weakest link on our defense. the only reason why people exploit him as being the weakest link is because we drafted him over bush.
Old 09-25-2006   #7
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

and im not a big fan of what the coaching staff has done with him by moving him around the line. sure it says alot about how the coaches feel about his potential, but its hard to get comfortable when u are lining up at different spots. they need to keep him in one spot and let him get comfortable b4 transitioning him around.
Old 09-25-2006   #8
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

Mario is seeming more and more like a long-term project, but there is no reason to not have him in there getting game experience vs. seasoned pros.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Williams is raw...he has zero football instinct. He runs himself out of plays, has zero bull rush, and stands upright way way way too much and loses all his leverage. He is easily blocked by TE's right now...hell, even blocking backs are stoning him. Too bad Wake Forest isn't on our schedule.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #10
joetexan
Rookie

He has not shown a shred of evidence that he was deserving of being No. 1 overall. Maybe Reggie Bush hasn't put up monster stats yet (though he has produced), but he's definitely shown glimpses. I haven't watched Vince Young play to know whether he has or not, but he'll be starting in Tennessee later this year so he must be doing something right. D'Brickashaw had that monster block on a long run down the sideline, and the Jets are 2-1 and he's played a role in it. Vernon Davis has caught a TD, made a few nice plays, but then got hurt yesterday and is out for a month. AJ Hawk has made a couple of plays here and there in Green Bay.

Mario has done zero. He's shown zero prospects of anything like a top defensive player. And he's shown zero intensity. I'm thinking that's not "raw". He's just not that good.
joetexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #11
Htown34s
Veteran

If he is a bust, as a number 1 overall, that would set us back 2 years IMO.

Also IMO, you don't take that big of a project overall number 1, especially in this years draft class.

We were told that McNair wants to win now, not later, that is why we took Mario. That tells me that they didn't think he was that much of a project. That tells me that the head office made an assumption that was wrong.

Sad truth is that 3 of our D-Linemen we drafted in the first round who may not be able to start on most of the other teams in the league...
Old 09-25-2006   #12
SESupergenius

I agree, he's getting locked up too easily by weaker opponents in 1 on 1's. He should have a sack by now considering he's not double teamed and the TE is put on him. Inexcuseable. He needs to go look at tapes of Reggie White and learn how to do more moves.
Old 09-25-2006   #13
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote from Mario about the Skins.

“He was throwing the ball quickly for one thing, and I was getting double and triple-teamed. They were using play action pass with a tight end and a tackle blocking me. As a unit, though we still have to make strides to get better and get back there to disrupt the play.”

Was he getting doubled, and tripple teamed? I didnt see it.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Mario Williams is raw...he has zero football instinct. He runs himself out of plays, has zero bull rush, and stands upright way way way too much and loses all his leverage. He is easily blocked by TE's right now...hell, even blocking backs are stoning him. Too bad Wake Forest isn't on our schedule.
Exactly. I watched him every play he was on the field (through binoculars), and he was getting owned. He NEVER showed any flashes of greatness, to where you could say "now I see why they drafted him".

One play a TE blocked him and went on to catch a pass for a gain. Another had an o-lineman picking him up where Mario's feet kept running but there was no ground. It looked like a freakin' cartoon!

I've given him the benefit of the doubt...but that doubt is creeping into my inner being.
Old 09-25-2006   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anybody else see that Redskins TE tie him up for the block, let him go, and then catch the ball? They were toying with him.

I've been trying to take up for him but he's making it tough....

I'm thinking that Richard Smith is more of a problem than anybody playing...even D-Rob looks like a chump lately.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #16
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe he should be moved to defensive tackle and kept there.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Too bad Wake Forest isn't on our schedule.
We will have to settle for the Oakland Raiders.
Old 09-25-2006   #18
profan
Veteran

i did not zero in on mario every play, the few times i watched him, he was not getting double or triple teamed. He would try to rush from the outside and all the blocker had to due was just follow and push him out of the play. he took himself out of alot of plays with this outside rush and the back just slid inside on some plays. not impressive at all. no one in their right mind would triple team this guy. It is not necessary at this point in time.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #19
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown34s View Post
If he is a bust, as a number 1 overall, that would set us back 2 years IMO.
How does that set us back two years? If we are bad again this year, then we will likely draft in the top 5. We would basically be right back where we were coming into this year's draft.
Old 09-25-2006   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario should challenge the others to a bench press or 3 cone drill, in shorts....that will show you some upside.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read