Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Being a Texans fan is really hard.

Heres what I mean:

First and foremost, I'm a football fan. But because I'm born and raised in Houston, I love the Texans as if I had grown up with them. They are my team, and I will always cheer for me.

But herein lies the dilemma. Do you watch the Texans play, knowing they will be inept and embarassing, or do you watch a good, close game between towo better teams? yesterday I watched the Redskins Texans, but in retrospect, I don't know if it was a good choice. I Tivo'd the game, and ended up fast forwarding through all the defense posessions. It was just not good football to watch the defense stand up and let the Redskins walk right by them.

What do you do?
Old 09-25-2006   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Heres what I mean:

First and foremost, I'm a football fan. But because I'm born and raised in Houston, I love the Texans as if I had grown up with them. They are my team, and I will always cheer for me.

But herein lies the dilemma. Do you watch the Texans play, knowing they will be inept and embarassing, or do you watch a good, close game between towo better teams? yesterday I watched the Redskins Texans, but in retrospect, I don't know if it was a good choice. I Tivo'd the game, and ended up fast forwarding through all the defense posessions. It was just not good football to watch the defense stand up and let the Redskins walk right by them.

What do you do?
Right now I guess we just take the punch in the mouth and move on. I see the offense improving and the defense regressing.
Old 09-25-2006   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Old 09-25-2006   #4
K.D.
Veteran

To tell you the truth, I'm working off-shore and I haven't watched the game yet, but my son recorded it for me and the way I'm feeling right now I don't think I'm going to watch it Wednesday when I get home. I've seen hi-lites and read this MB and putting all of this into account, I have a pretty good picture of how the game went. Defense sucks, can't get a 3rd down stop, no pass rush, reciever's wide ass open, no sacks, no int's, CB lead the game in tackles(which really is pathetic). As for the O, fumbling snaps, run-game is wishy-washy, but actually the O shows some signs which is alil exciting, but man you got it right, it's getting pretty hard to root for this team.

BTW, it's painful to watch a replay of the game when you know they lost by a f##king blow-out.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #5
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

but we need
Old 09-25-2006   #6
Capster67
Veteran

Default Keep a Sense of Perspective

I can certainly relate to the frustrations of rooting for a losing Houston football team. When I was in high school (81-85), I had to endure 7-9; 1-8; 2-14; and 3-13 records. My buddies teases me about improving by saying if we kept winning one more game each year like we did between 82-85, we'd eventually be undefeated - by the year 1997 (little did they now the franchise would finally reach the Super Bowl in 2000! Anyway, while the down years were tough to endure, the good years (87-93 - the years when Houston had the long stretch of playoff appearances of any team in the league) even better. I'll hang in there knowing better days are ahead.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #7
D-Vizzl
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 D-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballotD-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.D. View Post
To tell you the truth, I'm working off-shore and I haven't watched the game yet, but my son recorded it for me and the way I'm feeling right now I don't think I'm going to watch it Wednesday when I get home. I've seen hi-lites and read this MB and putting all of this into account, I have a pretty good picture of how the game went. Defense sucks, can't get a 3rd down stop, no pass rush, reciever's wide ass open, no sacks, no int's, CB lead the game in tackles(which really is pathetic). As for the O, fumbling snaps, run-game is wishy-washy, but actually the O shows some signs which is alil exciting, but man you got it right, it's getting pretty hard to root for this team.

BTW, it's painful to watch a replay of the game when you know they lost by a f##king blow-out.
At least you are not watching sportscenter where they show you Mark Brunell's first 23 passes.
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2006   #8
K.D.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Vizzl View Post
At least you are not watching sportscenter where they show you Mark Brunell's first 23 passes.
Oh I've seen SC, but got so pissed off I HAD to change the channel. I had to endure the Colts/Jaguars game, BTW, which pissed me off even more yesterday. Working out here in Louisiana waters, I have to hear the Saint's **** about tonight's game. Man I am so rooting for the Falcons like it aint no joke!!
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #9
Mycco
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Mycco

I've tried and tried to root for this team, and the sad part is we have been getting worse and worse as the years go on.

New regime - same old eneptitude same lame attitude.

New O and New D - still can't put points on the board and still can't tackle, pressure, or cover anybody.

And they wonder why the fans don't get behind them. They need to give us some glimmer of hope or something to cheer about in order to get behind them. Otherwise, people will only attend the games to see the visitors play.
Mycco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #10
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

I stand by my 'any given Sunday' belief.

But I find myself, at a 2-18 stretch (regular season), giving up hope easier. You can only witness too many brutal losses before it affects you.

How? I told people in the third, if we didn't score, I was going out to the parking lot. Tailgating games, free food and drink. Sadly, everyone around me agreed. In fact, a large portion of the front rows of the Bullpen were gone (myself included) by the 4th.

I am sorry we aren't there to support our team and the cheerleaders, but hey, give us a win and we'll stick around.

I'll be there Sunday, 7:30 AM, expecting a win. I'll walk into the stadium believing that. But, if we're getting the beat down of a lifetime, expect to see me out tailgating again by the 4th quarter.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #11
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 925 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycco View Post
I've tried and tried to root for this team, and the sad part is we have been getting worse and worse as the years go on.

New regime - same old eneptitude same lame attitude.

New O and New D - still can't put points on the board and still can't tackle, pressure, or cover anybody.

And they wonder why the fans don't get behind them. They need to give us some glimmer of hope or something to cheer about in order to get behind them. Otherwise, people will only attend the games to see the visitors play.
I have to agree here, I am horse this morning from screaming in the first half, but it just got uglier as the game went on. I had no more enthusiasm by the 3rd quarter. So I spent the rest of the game harrassing the Redskin fan next to me! (in a friendly way of course) Although he didn't appreciate my throwing his hat onto the field!
Old 09-25-2006   #12
ItsAJtime
Rookie

Default Here's what you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Heres what I mean:

What do you do?
You need to thank God that you don't own a PSL. I am assuming this because of the tivo reference. If you do own a PSL, well I feel your pain and greetings from another sucker that bought into this team.
ItsAJtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #13
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

My oldest Daughter still keeps asking, are we ever going to win Daddy?
Old 09-25-2006   #14
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 925 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS View Post
Just simply tell her "Yes, honey. . .someday, and it will be a great day!"
Old 09-25-2006   #15
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I stand by my 'any given Sunday' belief.

But I find myself, at a 2-18 stretch (regular season), giving up hope easier. You can only witness too many brutal losses before it affects you.

How? I told people in the third, if we didn't score, I was going out to the parking lot. Tailgating games, free food and drink. Sadly, everyone around me agreed. In fact, a large portion of the front rows of the Bullpen were gone (myself included) by the 4th.

I am sorry we aren't there to support our team and the cheerleaders, but hey, give us a win and we'll stick around.

I'll be there Sunday, 7:30 AM, expecting a win. I'll walk into the stadium believing that. But, if we're getting the beat down of a lifetime, expect to see me out tailgating again by the 4th quarter.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #16
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:

I am just glad my son doesn't know who is winning yet; he just gets excited when the Texans tackle someone (and sadly lately so am I). Hopefully the Texans will turn it around before he starts to understand.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #17
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
I am just glad my son doesn't know who is winning yet; he just gets excited when the Texans tackle someone (and sadly lately so am I). Hopefully the Texans will turn it around before he starts to understand.
She was real quick to it yesterday, when fans were booing David Carr after the volleyball hit yesterday at the game........But I have told her someday we will have a winning team, but until then be proud to say your a Texan.....

Old 09-25-2006   #18
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

i will be happy again once smith gets toasted. when ur defense is allowing 500yds a game and u wont speak to the media after games like a coward, then i think something is not quite right.

im not even that concerned about the offense. i know the weak area is the lack of a running game, but maybe the texans can find a speedy guy on waivers that can actually break a big gain.

david carr is playing pretty good
Old 09-25-2006   #19
Mycco
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Mycco

Quote:
She was real quick to it yesterday, when fans were booing David Carr after the volleyball hit yesterday at the game........But I have told her someday we will have a winning team, but until then be proud to say your a Texan.....

Awww....the innocence of youthful optimism. Let's hope when someday comes we are all still young enough to enjoy it.
Mycco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC View Post
i will be happy again once smith gets toasted. when ur defense is allowing 500yds a game and u wont speak to the media after games like a coward, then i think something is not quite right.

im not even that concerned about the offense. i know the weak area is the lack of a running game, but maybe the texans can find a speedy guy on waivers that can actually break a big gain.

david carr is playing pretty good
I don't think we'll know much on the running game until the D can stop the other team from scoring an average of 32 pts a game. When you're playing from behind the run game basically becomes extinct. Until we stop them, we will not see our true running game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read