Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Where is our other Offseason "gem"?

Everyone is focused on Williams and his stats.

What about our other "Gem" that we got into the offseason?
Weaver 1 tackle today.

For those that rewatched the game.. what is going on? how is the scheme different this year that last?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #2
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

When you pass on the ESPN hype guy, Local favorite stud QB from Texas, or BAD LT with the name BRICK to take some other guy, he is going to be looked at more than a 3-4 down lineman from another NFL team.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm really not a fan of the weaver signing. he's a 3-4 DE and we dont play a 3-4 anymore. he doesnt have the burst needed to play DE in a 4-3 and doesnt shoot the gap like you want from your DT's. i'm afraid his salary is going to hurt us once we realize we've gotta go a different direction.
Old 09-24-2006   #4
underdog65
Veteran

Isn't that why we got rid of Robaire Smith?
Old 09-24-2006   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog65 View Post
Isn't that why we got rid of Robaire Smith?
unless it was purely money, i dont even know why we got rid of robaire. there's noone that can convince me that we're better off with travis & thomas johnson than we would've been with robaire.
Old 09-24-2006   #6
Mattheus_Rex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
unless it was purely money, i dont even know why we got rid of robaire. there's noone that can convince me that we're better off with travis & thomas johnson than we would've been with robaire.
Thomas Johnson. All I'll see now is Mr. Personal Foul. Orr must be pizzed.
Old 09-24-2006   #7
12Gage
Rookie

Does Ricahrd Smith take alot of blame for our completely terrible defensive play? Or is it on the players? Or both?
I don't see everyone on the field giving 100%, but I think most go all out every play. Both Johnsons look like they go hard inside, eventhough they don't produce much they look like they are at least trying. We know Dunta brings it every play, and I love him for it. Orr and Peek when they are on the field. Ryans. Glenn Earl. All these guys go 100% every play to me. I don't know what my point is but it doesn't feel like our players are not trying to me, we have holes, but we got a good young defensive core I think. Maybe its the playcalling and scheme. I can't decide. I think it's a mix of both. We got alot of holes player wise, but I don't think Ricahrd Smith is much improvment from last year.
12Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2006   #8
cowboys1
noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

Weaver 1 tackle today.

For those that rewatched the game.. what is going on? how is the scheme different this year that last?
Hey is Dexter MCcleon getting any playing time or what?
cowboys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #9
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Gage View Post
Does Ricahrd Smith take alot of blame for our completely terrible defensive play? Or is it on the players? Or both?
I don't see everyone on the field giving 100%, but I think most go all out every play. Both Johnsons look like they go hard inside, eventhough they don't produce much they look like they are at least trying. We know Dunta brings it every play, and I love him for it. Orr and Peek when they are on the field. Ryans. Glenn Earl. All these guys go 100% every play to me. I don't know what my point is but it doesn't feel like our players are not trying to me, we have holes, but we got a good young defensive core I think. Maybe its the playcalling and scheme. I can't decide. I think it's a mix of both. We got alot of holes player wise, but I don't think Ricahrd Smith is much improvment from last year.
it is a bit of both, but i'm going to put most of the fault on coaching. we're lacking talent and experience from our DB's, and our linebackers are thinned by injuries to wong & rainer. however, none of that matters when you dont blitz and sit in a soft cover 2 the ENTIRE GAME. no adjustments were made to man up as washington threw screen after screen, and we made no effort to clog the line of scrimmage as dallas did to force brunell into mistakes and take away the short patterns & draws that they used all day. blame goes to coaching here for these problems, and also for attitude. the defeated & wounded dog look that i saw is inexcusable, strong coaching needs to produce more determination and tenacity from their players. we see a lot more urgency on the offensive side, but smith's D looked like they knew the game was over in the first quarter.
Old 09-25-2006   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

Weaver 1 tackle today.

I had no idea who Weaver was when we signed him. Still don't. I don't remember his exact numbers at the time but its was like 50 tackles and a sack in four years, or something like that.

When we signed him it smelled an awful like like the Wade and Greenwood signing. As it is going now that is exactly how it is working out.

The way we it may work out in the future is drafting a DE and making Weaver a tackle. We need outside linebackers.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #11
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

lets not start bashing weaver now because our defense as a whole is sucking. weaver has made some good stops and he looks just fine to me. but you have to at least have the threat of the blitz or they will just put more guys on the line than you have and double your strongest guys. yall can call mario a bust all you want, did you watch the game? did you see the way they lined up and changed alignment before the snap? mario basicly had a tight end or a fullback AND a tackle on him most of the game, when he didnt he got penetration, maybe not a sack, but he has proved to me he can beat his guy one on one a reasonable amount of the time. it's the extra blitzer that opens up the line and causes confusion and missed assignments , wich lead to sacks and hurried throws. it's a lot of vanilla play calling on defense that is killing us, not the personel, except maybe thomas johnson, he needs to keep his head in the game and not cost the team yards and points with his over agressive play.
Old 09-25-2006   #12
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboys1 View Post
He was HORRIBLE yesterday.
Old 09-25-2006   #13
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking that the blame for the defensive problems should go to Richard Smith. I remember him not being the first choice for DC...maybe there was a reason for that. Kubes got started hiring his staff so late, the best guys were already snatched up by the time he started hiring.

I'm aware that we've got problems with talent on the defensive side. I just think that for them to be this ineffective at this point is on the coaching.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

My Take on the Defense

Now Weaver....... I think we need to use him at DT. He showed promise in the Indy game at Tackle..... and nothing at all as a pass rusher. Besides, if we paid him $12 million (signing bonus).....to be our veteran presence.. then we need him on the field all the time, with our young first round picks. Mario(who looked awesome yesterday), TJ(who looked good as well), and Babin(who didn't have his best game yesterday, but is our best DE so far).

Did anyone see Babin chase down Moss/Randle-El on the end around?? He almost had him, 'till Earl layed the wood on him(Earl hit Babin..... I believe he was blocked into him). But damn Babin is fast.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense looks like the offense of last year . Under Pendry our offense looked like they did'nt have a chance in hell to win .

The new nickname for the Texans defense should be "The Remedy" because they cure what ails the oppenents offense .
Old 09-25-2006   #16
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Robaire Smith= proven solid veteran

??????????????

Sam Cowart= Proven veteran (We could have had Demeco play outside but Demeco can play anywhere he wants now)

???????????????

Robaire????

??????

name????

OH YEAH JAMIE SHARPER!

3 guys who should not have been left go.

I questioned why Demeco played Middle when you had Cowart who could have given you a solid year and we knew we were weak and LB

Everyone in Houston hated to see Sharper go and I can only question a horrible D line without a solid veteran like Robaire?
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #17
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post
Robaire Smith= proven solid veteran

??????????????

Sam Cowart= Proven veteran (We could have had Demeco play outside but Demeco can play anywhere he wants now)

???????????????

Robaire????

??????

name????

OH YEAH JAMIE SHARPER!

3 guys who should not have been left go.

I questioned why Demeco played Middle when you had Cowart who could have given you a solid year and we knew we were weak and LB

Everyone in Houston hated to see Sharper go and I can only question a horrible D line without a solid veteran like Robaire?
You forgot about Glenn and McRee.....Asserley as well as Kubiak have made some questionable choices and most have been made because of money. Well, if we keep overpaying for average talent ala Greenwood, Weaver, Wade, etc. etc., EVERY player we get is going to be a salary cap issue because they will never be earning their pay. Let's keep who we get and stop this freaking revolving door for our team especially on the defensive side.

Oh and Richard Smith, I dont know much about you, but you have been outcoached to the Nth degree this year and are in danger of getting fired after one year as DC. That guy needs to get something done or he better call his realtor and put a FOR SALE sign in his front yard.

Doug ftw
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Defensive tackles cannot keep the interior lineman off our 235 pound Middle line backer. The 74 shuttle pass, the thirty yard draw, and the fourth quarter when the skins iced the game by rushing for one hundred and eight yards in the quarter. That's 14 points and a dead clock you can lay at Demeeecos feet. Either they got to get bigger, stronger lineman infront of him. Or...move him. If they don't we'll catch the '81 colts and go into the record books as the worst defense of all time. Rabach is dang good. But, he ain't that good. I know y'all love the guy. Just sayin'.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #19
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboys1 View Post
I'm still confused as to why P.Buch can't get some time on the field. Even with his Toro tackling from last year, at least he could keep up with the recievers. And every once in a while he has a chance at a pick. I want to see him back on the field this weekend.
Old 09-26-2006   #20
Texans86
All Pro

Alright, lets try for a new look this weekend.

CB1- D.Robinson
CB2- P.Buchanon
SS- G.Earl
FS- anyone not named C.C. Brown
MLB- D.Ryans
SLB- M.Greenwood
WLB- S.Orr
LDE- M.Williams
DT-A.Weaver
DT-Tr.Johnson
RDE- J.Babin

Something needs to be shaken up on this team. Somehow these guys looked decent during the preseason but look pathetic now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read