Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-26-2004   #1
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Default Cedric Benson for the Heisman

This guy has been playin like a madman the first 3 games and running all over the defenses. In the first 3 games hes had 558 yards for 186 yards per game 6 TDs and an 8.7 yard per carry average. Not to mention 2 receptions with one for a TD.

I think hes the best RB in the nation and the second best player on the team(behind DJ who leads the big 12 in tackles). Hes got my Heisman vote so far.

If you think that CB or anybody else deseves the Heisman you can vote here
at the Heisman website and contribute in the votring process.
Old 09-26-2004   #2
Panther5407
All Pro

He's got a good chance for it but 2 of the 3 games weren't that much of a challenge. Playing Rice and North Texas early will always boost your numbers. I'm still betting Matt Leinhart wins it, but Bush looks really good too. The guy returns, runs and catches.
Old 09-26-2004   #3
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Benson said he would rather win the Heisman than beat OU but he has to beat OU to win the Heisman...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004   #4
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Given Texas' recent history against Stoops and OU Peterson might outgain Benson in the Red River Shootout. Reggie Bush is amazing. I don't know how much of a shot he has at the Heisman with the RB rotation out at USC, but if any underclassmen is going to win it will be him.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

right now i would have to put my heisman board as this:

kyle ortan
cedric benson
antrell rolle
matt leinart
david pollack
david greene
that lineman from troy who ran in the touchdown
Old 09-27-2004   #6
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Only one defensive player has ever won the Heisman, Charles Woodson. Woodson also returned punts and kicks, so I don't think a defensive guy has any shot. Another thing is that only juniors and seniors have won the Heisman, so Reggie Bush looks like a longshot. If Fitzgerald couldn't win as a soph, chances are Bush won't. I think that Orton kid is probably gonna win, and keep the tradition alive of Heisman QB's sucking it up in the NFL.
Old 09-27-2004   #7
LonghornBabe
Tubin' Chic

Rep Power: 573 LonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LonghornBabe Send a message via Yahoo to LonghornBabe

It is too bad that the Heisman is a popularity contest instead of the best player in college football. I would love to see a defensive player win it! (Esp. D. Johnson from UT)

Kimberly
Check out my blog at kimberlyskakery.com
LonghornBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2004   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think if Benson has a good showing against OU (probably needs 100+ yards or a multiple TD day), then he has a good chance to do it.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #9
longhornjag
Rookie

Playing well against OU is essential. If he does well in that game and Texas wins, I think he'll win it unless he just blows in the rest of the games (which i highly doubt). Also, i wanted to add that Rice coming into the last game had the second best rushing D in the nation and Arkie's isn't exactly a pushover either, so Benson has just been that good.
longhornjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #10
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

There's a big difference between "2nd best" rush defense and "2nd ranked" rush defense.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #11
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

yeah if the heisman was going to the best player in the country last year the finialist would be:

fitzgerald...the winner
talyor...first runner up and probably overall the best athlete out of the bunch
white...only because he's surrounded by nothing but pro talent
gallery...best lineman in the nation...why aren't lineman thought of for this award
winslow...has as much talent as taylor but more mouth
Old 09-28-2004   #12
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Benson will probably have another big game against my Baylor Bears. We're playing at Austin, and that doesn't bode well for us considering the Texas fans outnumbered the Bears fans last year in Waco. I just want us to score some points GO BEARS!
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #13
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

like it was stated above, no heisman for cedric if no victory over OU. kinda ironic huh? and i don't even know if benson is the best back in the big 12. anyone forget about the "lil tank" at k-state, darren sproles?
Old 09-29-2004   #14
longhornjag
Rookie

Huge: my bad. You are correct they were my no means the 2nd best defense only the 2nd highest ranked (against Hawaii:don't run the ball, and Houston).
Jrock: I think sproles lost his chance with a bad game against Fresno only getting 37 yds. That right there probably knocked him out.
longhornjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004   #15
LSUTIGER
Rookie

Default I dont think he has.

True in college football 37 yards for one game is not good, however look at Daren's other two games. 221 and 292. His total even with the horrible game his 550 yards. Cedrick is 558, so Ced is not that far and beyond Daren this year. Also look at some other stats. In all time Big 12 rushing leaders Daren is second all time behind your beloved Ricky, and if he has the same season he had last year he will pass him. I promise you that if he becomes the all time big 12 rushing leader he is a much bigger heisman hopefull than Cedric.
LSUTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004   #16
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

longhornjag, i didn't mean sproles is still in the race (although theoritically he is), i just meant it could be easily argued sproles is the better back than benson. this season stats in three games:

ncaa rank-------------games-att--yds---avg---avg/gm-td

-----3---Cedric Benson--3----64--558---8.7----186.0--4

-----4---Darren Sproles--3----91--550---6.0----183.3--2

quite comprable if i do say so myself. here is a career comparison:

-------------------att---yds-----avg--td

Cedric Benson-----627---3,211---5.1---37

Darren Sproles-----662---4,211---6.4--36

both are excellenet backs, just thought i'd point out that sproles at least deserves the same recognition benson does, if not more.
Old 09-29-2004   #17
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0ck
longhornjag, i didn't mean sproles is still in the race (although theoritically he is), i just meant it could be easily argued sproles is the better back than benson. this season stats in three games:

ncaa rank-------------games-att--yds---avg---avg/gm-td

-----3---Cedric Benson--3----64--558---8.7----186.0--4

-----4---Darren Sproles--3----91--550---6.0----183.3--2

quite comprable if i do say so myself. here is a career comparison:

-------------------att---yds-----avg--td

Cedric Benson-----627---3,211---5.1---37

Darren Sproles-----662---4,211---6.4--36

both are excellenet backs, just thought i'd point out that sproles at least deserves the same recognition benson does, if not more.
How can that be argued?

With 27 fewer carries, Benson has 8 more yards and twice as many TDs. He's averageing 2.7 yards more per carry than Sproles. If Benson had as many carries as Sproles, he'd be close to 800 yards on the season. That's not even close to being a comparison.

Sproles is a tremendous talent. And I'm sure if the two RBs switched teams their numbers would also change. But that's not going to help him when it comes time for voting.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004   #18
LSUTIGER
Rookie

Your right that wont help when it comes time for voting, however what will help when it comes time for voting is records. If Daren stays on pace he will become the Big 12 all time leading rusher. He needs 1000 yards and with 8 games left that is very do able, esp. after his 1900 yard season last year. If he gets that record he has to jump way ahead of ced and most other continders for the heisman.
LSUTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004   #19
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
How can that be argued?

With 27 fewer carries, Benson has 8 more yards and twice as many TDs. He's averageing 2.7 yards more per carry than Sproles. If Benson had as many carries as Sproles, he'd be close to 800 yards on the season. That's not even close to being a comparison.

Sproles is a tremendous talent. And I'm sure if the two RBs switched teams their numbers would also change. But that's not going to help him when it comes time for voting.
Touchdowns are decieving. Last weekend the Cy-Springs Panthers (HS Football) had something like this in a way. Our sophmore running back had 260 yards rushing. The other back had less than 10 yards but 3 touchdowns. You have to look at their abililty, mainly in tape.
Old 09-29-2004   #20
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUTIGER
True in college football 37 yards for one game is not good, however look at Daren's other two games. 221 and 292. His total even with the horrible game his 550 yards. Cedrick is 558, so Ced is not that far and beyond Daren this year. Also look at some other stats. In all time Big 12 rushing leaders Daren is second all time behind your beloved Ricky, and if he has the same season he had last year he will pass him. I promise you that if he becomes the all time big 12 rushing leader he is a much bigger heisman hopefull than Cedric.
Thats true, but just like Cedy, Darren has played against 2 weak teams in its first 3 games as well, playing Western Kentucky and Louisiana-Lafayette. And though this wint show up in the stats, Benson plays for an offense that is less centered around him, VY gets his rushing yards and before Selvin Young got hurt, he got major playing time, like against NT when he had 107 yards to go along with Bensons 181. Add just 80 of those to Bensons and he has over 260 so thats a plus, he shares the ball and still breaks for his. Just look at the yards per carry average, more yards, less carries.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read