Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2006   #1
marioandrecarr
Rookie

Default A Coach's Perspective

I know alot of you are trying to pinpoint the Texans' problem and I applaud you for it because it shows you care about your team.

As a diehard Texans fans myself and a long-time coach, after watching the Texans through three weeks, there is one simple and obvious problem, that if solved, would allow us to be a much better team.

The problem is NOT......David Carr....Carr has matured under Kubiak, and although some of his TD's have come in mopup time, he simply hasn't been able to get on the field enough to pile up even more stats. The sacks haven't been his fault and today's fumbles were from the adjustment to Hodgdon and the fact he was just trying to make a fly. It's tough when you're the leader of the offense, you know the defense can't stop anyone, and the pressure is on you to score EVERY time.

The problem is NOT....the running game...the running game hasn't had time to get going. When your time of possession is doubled by your opponent, it means you're probably going to be playing from behind i.e. throwing. Reggie Bush would not be making a different right now. Domanick Davis would not be making a difference right now. Ron Dayne looked very good in limited carries.

The problem is NOT.....Mario Williams. This kid cannot save the franchise and he shouldn't be expected, especially by all of you, to do so. He also shouldn't have to deal with you (The supposed die-hard fans) calling him the next Courtney Brown, etc. ITS BEEN THREE GAMES. He is unable to make an impact because the real problem IS.....

THE RELIANCE ON THE FRONT FOUR TO PROVIDE A PASS RUSH

No team does this in the NFL any more. If you're rushing four guys against five offensive lineman, sit back in zone and allow NFL quarterbacks to pick you apart (especially smart veterans like McNabb, Manning and Brunell), YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE.

Look at the Patriots and Steelers, they rely on blitzes from various areas of the defense to CREATE CONFUSION. Just a coincidence they're always successful? I think not.

Why did no one on our team see how the Cowboys beat the Redskins by blitzing and say "hey, maybe we should do that."

Playing defense isn't about outsmarting the offense. It's about creating confusion. Confuse the opposing offense, get them out of a rhythm. Force turnovers.

Mario hasn't been able to be effective rushing the passer because the opposing offensive line knows they don't have to worry about a rush coming from another area and they can just focus on the front four. (Although despite what *****s Justice and McClain are saying, Williams has been pushing the opposing right tackles around, watch tape of the game and you'll see him drive blocking Jon Jansen into the backfield)

I hope that all of you read this, understand, and stop blaming things on Carr, Williams, etc. There is one problem, that if corrected, would turn these losses into wins.
marioandrecarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #2
Proteus
Rookie

good observation, but no matter how to break down the game tape and analyze the plays... we just suck as a whole
~Proteus
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #3
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioandrecarr
I know alot of you are trying to pinpoint the Texans' problem and I applaud you for it because it shows you care about your team.

As a diehard Texans fans myself and a long-time coach, after watching the Texans through three weeks, there is one simple and obvious problem, that if solved, would allow us to be a much better team.

The problem is NOT......David Carr....Carr has matured under Kubiak, and although some of his TD's have come in mopup time, he simply hasn't been able to get on the field enough to pile up even more stats. The sacks haven't been his fault and today's fumbles were from the adjustment to Hodgdon and the fact he was just trying to make a fly. It's tough when you're the leader of the offense, you know the defense can't stop anyone, and the pressure is on you to score EVERY time.

The problem is NOT....the running game...the running game hasn't had time to get going. When your time of possession is doubled by your opponent, it means you're probably going to be playing from behind i.e. throwing. Reggie Bush would not be making a different right now. Domanick Davis would not be making a difference right now. Ron Dayne looked very good in limited carries.

The problem is NOT.....Mario Williams. This kid cannot save the franchise and he shouldn't be expected, especially by all of you, to do so. He also shouldn't have to deal with you (The supposed die-hard fans) calling him the next Courtney Brown, etc. ITS BEEN THREE GAMES. He is unable to make an impact because the real problem IS.....

No team does this in the NFL any more. If you're rushing four guys against five offensive lineman, sit back in zone and allow NFL quarterbacks to pick you apart (especially smart veterans like McNabb, Manning and Brunell), YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE.

Look at the Patriots and Steelers, they rely on blitzes from various areas of the defense to CREATE CONFUSION. Just a coincidence they're always successful? I think not.

Why did no one on our team see how the Cowboys beat the Redskins by blitzing and say "hey, maybe we should do that."

Playing defense isn't about outsmarting the offense. It's about creating confusion. Confuse the opposing offense, get them out of a rhythm. Force turnovers.

Mario hasn't been able to be effective rushing the passer because the opposing offensive line knows they don't have to worry about a rush coming from another area and they can just focus on the front four. (Although despite what *****s Justice and McClain are saying, Williams has been pushing the opposing right tackles around, watch tape of the game and you'll see him drive blocking Jon Jansen into the backfield)

I hope that all of you read this, understand, and stop blaming things on Carr, Williams, etc. There is one problem, that if corrected, would turn these losses into wins.
What he said.
Old 09-24-2006   #4
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Kubes get your poop together...........

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #5
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice observation. It takes time, guys.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #6
NederlandTexan
Veteran

Nice post. Wish there was some way to get that to the coaching staff.
Old 09-24-2006   #7
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38657 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait you are saying we could rush a lb or db in addition to the dline?Brilliant!

Old 09-24-2006   #8
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan View Post
Nice observation. It takes time, guys.
Time is no excuse now

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Good Observation, couldn't have said it better myself.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #10
buckaroo_banzai
Rookie

Rep Power: 157 buckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respectedbuckaroo_banzai is a quality contributor and well respected

great post...couldn't agree more about the d-line:brickwall
buckaroo_banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #11
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

It's nice to see a positive post with some thought behind it. I've seen us send blitzes that just haven't gotten there, but we definitely aren't trying it often. Blitzing the run probably wouldn't hurt either to try and generate some negative plays for the other team. If we're going to get burned in the secondary anyways, might as well try and force a hurried throw or even sack the guy every now and then.

* I do want to add that I think our lack of a run game is a big problem. You mentioned that our TOP is horrible compared to the competition, and a solid running game would do wonders in that department. It would help run the clock when we had the ball, it would help keep the chains moving, and it would help our passing game open up. Combine that with keeping that piece of swiss cheese we call a defense off the field, and we'd be much more competitive IMO. I'd love to see some more blitzing, but I'm wanting to see some good runs just as badly.

Last edited by blockhead83; 09-24-2006 at 09:20 PM.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #12
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Great to read some actual intelligent football discussion for a change.

We brought one blitz I can think of today late in the game (fourth quarter) and forced an incomplete pass. I watched a bunch of other games today and it seemed like not once did any other team ONLY bring four guys.
Old 09-24-2006   #13
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioandrecarr View Post

A lack of pressure is a 'big' problem but IMO not the only one. After the Eagles game, this issue was brought up in light of, 'what happened to our pass rush/pressure that was so good/effective during pre-season?'

Kubiak (out of the clear blue) answered this by saying he did not want to blitz. His goal was for the front four to provide the pressure. Why the change of strategy from what worked during pre-season?

So, bottom line, what has the team accomplished with this strategy--anything positive? No. QB's are making us the new 'butt' of favorite jokes. Brunell comes into this game with some of the worse stats in the NFL and-in one game-the Texans help to turn his career around and elevate him to an All-Pro,MVP/HOF performance!!

Another big problem is 'game planning!' For example, how could our coaches not see the film of the Cowboy's 6 sacks and constant pressure on Bruenner and not 'gear' our own game plan in that direction?

I'm sure it must just be me but I'm beginning to wonder about Kuniak. He has abandoned his coaching philosophies that 'sold' us on him, and is now leading the team in a different direction. And, as we saw all too often the past 4 seasons under Capers, he is using the:brickwall approach.

Coaching to a player's strength-learning from mistakes-best player plays-game plans based on that weel's opponent/in game adustments to that game plan/flexibity/whatever it takes to win, etc. Where did all these 'things' go? We know we're getting 'destroyed' by a lack of pressure--why has nothing been done about it?...a matter of:brickwall thinking? We just went through 4 yrs of a coaching regime that was stucked in its beliefs, firmly believing that-if they hit their head against that :brickwall enough-it would move...guess what!?
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #14
texaslifter
Veteran

I completely agree with this thread.
texaslifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #15
marioandrecarr
Rookie

I appreciate all the positive feedback everyone.

I'm just tired of people getting upset about the team's performance blaming it on various things without justification and not trying to find the actual problem.

I get upset when I see other teams that have fans that are not intelligent and was afraid my team was slipping into the same category, but everyone adding on to what I said in my post shows me otherwise. Make me proud to be a Texans fan.

Something I forgot to mention earlier in my post was the added element of momentum.

Our offense comes out and breezes down the field on the Skins and if we get a defensive spot, we seize momentum. But that one lack of a defensive stop gives the momentum right back. Playing a defense that sits back and watches can never get momentum. A team needs to go out and seize momentum at all times.
marioandrecarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #16
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioandrecarr View Post

Its very nice too see this but unfortunately, people will always blame carr and willams. Its not their fault and I believe its mostly the coaching on the half of the defense...

Heres a questions since you are a coach?

As MLB do they make every defensive call as in blitzes or zone plays? If so, do you really think DeMeco Ryans should be in the middle when Kailee Wong returns by the end of October?

Not to mention we are also missing DeMarcus Faggins..and Jason Simmons will probably replace C.C. Brown in the coming weeks.
Old 09-24-2006   #17
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Richard Smith.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good post and pretty much spot on IMO. Can't believe we aren't blitzing at all. The one time we did and it caused a hurried incomplet pass. Sounds like a good thing to me.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for putting your opinion on the MB.

I think a lot of times people just want to find creative ways to kick the team when they are down because they lack intelligent football-oriented things to say about the game.

I appreciate well-reasoned posts, even if I disagree with them, that attempt to contribute to the MB community instead of attention-ho posts that try to figure out the trolliest thing to say.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts in the future, and please don't be run off by some of the uglier, less reasoned opinions you can find here.
Old 09-24-2006   #20
Magnahorn
Rookie

Default Coaches perspective

I agree; we don't bring any blitz packages at all.

We may be trying to run a Denver type offense, but I don't know who we are trying to emmulate on defense!

The thing about Mario Williams is, regardless of the type of defensive package we have run, there simply hasn't been anything he has done to make me say, "Oh, THAT's why we drafted him!", much less, with the number 1 pick in the draft.
Magnahorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read