Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mario Williams..The Next Courtney Brown?

TexansFanatic

Extremist
Just goes to show what happens when you select a guy because of his performance at the combine over a player who performs week in and week out ON THE FIELD.

I can't believe McNair and Kubiak did this to us....

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
You guys give up too fast. Who is Mario playing with? Nobody plays well to support him except maybe 2 players on the defense. He can't play well for the whole defense. You cant be the only one getting pressure on the QB and expect to get a sack. Most sacks are caused because of multiple players getting pressure, collapsing the pocket. We need some more legitimate players on this defense.

What does this tell you about next years draft? Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, and Dunta Robinson is a good young start for this defense. I think we should go top 2 rounds defense again after this year. We need to build a young defense of talented players. Then they can grow together. I think Kubiak understood that we would not be very good this year on defense anyway, so he allowed players like Travis Johnson, CC Brown, and Glenn Earl start because they are young and he wants them to grow. These three players look to have lost all confidence in their game.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Courtney Brown is a better player than Williams
Courtney Brown was more successful in college and was derailed by injury problems in the NFL. I went to the Browns board and asked about him a while back and most of the fans thought he would have been great without his injury.

Mario on the other hand wasn't even considered the best lineman on his own team by many. He raised his stock during the combine which is often a mirage. Even though I wasn't for Bush, I still think the Texans screwed the pooch on this one. I remember one media outlet saying if the Texans screw up this pick they will be set back for years. I can see that being the case. If not for Demarco Ryans this draft would be looking pretty sad right now.

The only way for us to tell right now is to pull Mario and let him sit for awhile and see if another DE sitting, like Babin or someone can get a sack and put some pressure on the QB. Let's see if it is Mario or the OL keeping him out.

But I agree, we don't have much to cheer about yet...

HJam72

Hall of Fame
Strange that they fell for Mario's combine numbers, but then took Demeco, who doesn't have the physical skills but just plays well. Completely opposite ways of thinking on those 2 picks.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Strange that they fell for Mario's combine numbers, but then took Demeco, who doesn't have the physical skills but just plays well. Completely opposite ways of thinking on those 2 picks.
Demeco's combine numbers were similar to AJ Hawks so that isn't entirely accurate.
Courtney Brown was more successful in college and was derailed by injury problems in the NFL. I went to the Browns board and asked about him a while back and most of the fans thought he would have been great without his injury.

Mario on the other hand wasn't even considered the best lineman on his own team by many. He raised his stock during the combine which is often a mirage. Even though I wasn't for Bush, I still think the Texans screwed the pooch on this one. I remember one media outlet saying if the Texans screw up this pick they will be set back for years. I can see that being the case. If not for Demarco Ryans this draft would be looking pretty sad right now.
I agree across the board on this one.

Grid

All Pro
scary thoughts. I dont see the Mario pick setting us back, even if he doesnt become the player we hoped for (The Meco and Spencer/Winston picks may have saved us here).. and I still think that with a couple seasons to learn, its possible Mario could get where he needs to be, mentally.

Thats his big issue..instincts and technique.

Either way.. I dont think Kubiak is the type of coach thats afraid to say "we blew it"..and I dont see him continuing to play Mario if he isnt helping the team. So in the end.. if it goes bad.. I can see us kicking ourselves for it, but I dont see it setting us way back.

Superdome

Practice Squad
Admittedly I am a Saints fan who now lives in Houston, but I try to be fair. I just feel for Mario. It was not his fault that he was picked first.

The Texans deceided to give Carr the bonus so that kind of ruled out drafting Vince. Everyone then kinda of sighed and said, "OK, at least if we can't get the hometown hero, we will get Reggie, everyone says he is the type of back with a skill set that doesn't come around very often (I'm sure you heard all the pre-draft comparisons to Sayers, Sanders, Faulk, etc.) Then came that Friday before the Draft. I was sitting in line at Pappas BBQ listening to the radio when they came on and said, "We're NOT kidding...the Texans are going to sign Mario Williams tonight and make him the first pick in the draft tomorrow. <silence>

I quickly went home and checked online Mario's college stats...which on the surface looked impressive, but as the refs say, "upon further review..." most of those stats came against only a few team, the weaker ones, and in most of the other games he just seemed to disappear from the stats.

I was very happy to have Reggie fall in our laps...but I've worked very closely with NFL players for many years and I just felt sorry for Mario. He would never be able to live up to his draft status. I don't know the kid execept what I see on TV and read about in the HChron...He seems like a good kid. I suspect he may not be the "high motor" kind of player; I know what that is like - we drafted Jonathan Sullivan (& trading 2 #1s for that choice.)

Guys, I've supported a team for many years that has not had a great deal of success...but the team is back in the SuperDome Monday night and even thought this is the first year with the Saints playing in NOLA that I won't "be in that number" I am so glad they are back...WIN OR LOSE! Y'all lost the Oilers so you know what I mean.

Best of luck the rest of the season...and just think of Mario as just another rookie and be glad you found a starter in the draft.

Texas

Veteran
I give him a few more games before I call him a bust...The guy can maybe pull it together..like they said he has alot of physical capabilities but isnt in the FOOTBALL Mind set yet.

Ibar_Harry

All Pro

I think you are forgetting about Daniels when you say that. No, its just that Mario doesn't have it upstairs I'm afraid. If you listen to his interviews I think that becomes apparent. He's also has been going against some of the best talent wise.

This team is like a group of learning disabled children. I've said it before and I will say it again when you have people who have suffered like that they must have success before they can learn to deal with failure. The failure more than anything else continues to hurt this team and no amount of yelling and screaming by coaches is going to help the situation. People who reach this point simply do not respond to that kind of stimulous. You have to reinforce their successes and move on. Talking about failure yields zero results. You have to emphasize what they do right until they begin to have success. After they are successful you can begin working with failure. The Caper's years lead to this and this is what I have eluding to for a long time. This whole team is a mental case as a result of the previous coaching regime.

ComstockLode

Waterboy
Anyone notice that Mario was measured as a combine wonder, and gametape was never really talked about. He was supported by being productive in only 4 games in college and everyone just loved his size and speed.

Then you look at a guy like ryans who doesnt have anything special that jumps out at you, except for the fact that he was the best defensive player in the best defensive conference last year.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
People need to chill.

Sure, Mario may be a bust. But we're not going to know that for a long time. Our defense sux right now and it'd nice if Mario was playing like a monster, but he's not. Give him some time.

People need to chill.

Sure, Mario may be a bust. But we're not going to know that for a long time. Our defense sux right now and it'd nice if Mario was playing like a monster, but he's not. Give him some time.
If Mario was just confused and "green", that would be one thing, but his supposed "freakish" athleticism is not even perceivable. No quickness or explosion. He just seems big, slow, lumbering...

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
If Mario was just confused and "green", that would be one thing, but his supposed "freakish" athleticism is not even perceivable. No quickness or explosion. He just seems big, slow, lumbering...
But that doesn't mean that he's not going to be a great player.

It's 3 games into his career. Calm down.