Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-23-2006   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224612 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak
Default Too Much Noise

Quote:
The league has long had an uneasy relationship with crowd noise, and may soon embark on its latest quest to overcome it — not by hushing fans, but by allowing visiting players the benefit of a helmet-to-helmet wireless communication system.

The noise issue came to the forefront as the Giants prepared for today’s game against the Seahawks at Qwest Field, the notoriously loud stadium in Seattle. When the teams played there last November, the Giants were called for 11 false-start penalties, the kind often caused by a failure to communicate. The Giants had 16 penalties over all, the highest number for the franchise since 1949, and lost in overtime, 24-21.

The N.F.L. is not antinoise, exactly. It just does not appreciate certain types at certain times. The N.F.L. rule book even has a 900-word section devoted to crowd noise; too much when the visiting offense is on the field can draw a penalty for the home team.
Link

I don't recall an official in an NFL game ever throwing a noise flag.
Old 09-23-2006   #2
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

How odd.
Old 09-23-2006   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006   #4
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1759 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Link

Need an old Saints fan to confirm this. I remember an Eagles- Saints game in the late 60's in the old Sugar bowl where they flaged the Saints fans for noise. They just got louder. Only time I have ever seen that flag.
jgl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

No
Fun
Leauge
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

That's stupid. Soon enough they will all be wearing power armor and each be able to transform into their own type of dinosaur. Do we have to upgrade technology in every part of our culture? Jeeeeez.

An a more serious note.... crowd noise has always been a part of the game and it should remain the same. It is what binds us to the team.... we really are helping them out. Eli probably *****ed about it, that's why they will consider changing it. At this point..... marquee QBs are getting pampered, and it makes me sick. That's a different argument altogether, I guess.

Old 09-23-2006   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
No
Fun
Leauge
Pretty much
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2006   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Link

IIRC, there was a time many moons ago (70s???) that the NFL did throw flags on the fans for noise when the opponets couldn't hear the count. I believe it was a delay of game 5 yarder.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224612 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
IIRC, there was a time many moons ago (70s???) that the NFL did throw flags on the fans for noise when the opponets couldn't hear the count. I believe it was a delay of game 5 yarder.
I recall one being thrown 20 or 30 years ago but can't remember if it was college or NFL. Thinking about it--the one time I recall the officials saying something to the crowd it just egged them on rather than quieted them. Pretty freakin' rare either way. Why have the rule on the books if you invite people to violate it? We'd like your porridge, I mean noise, to be just right.
Old 09-25-2006   #10
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
Veteran

It happened at the Dome back in the Luv Ya Blue days! Fans got so loud the quarterback backed away several times indicating to the ref that he could not hear. Ref warned the fans which fired us up more and a flag was throw. After the flag was throw the Oiler players had to try and calm the crowd telling us to quit down! I always wondered if the rule had changed or why I never saw these flags anymore.
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL= Golf/Tennis

I don't get it.. that is what homefield advantage is for.. what next.. if a warm weather team has to play up in new england.. they going to move to a neutral site?

oh what maybe that is why the city of houston /bob McNair forked over a bunch of money for a stadium with a retractible roof that the NFL can say when or when it can't be open/closed.

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear View Post
It happened at the Dome back in the Luv Ya Blue days! Fans got so loud the quarterback backed away several times indicating to the ref that he could not hear. Ref warned the fans which fired us up more and a flag was throw. After the flag was throw the Oiler players had to try and calm the crowd telling us to quit down! I always wondered if the rule had changed or why I never saw these flags anymore.

It happened at a lot of stadiums back in the late 80's (rough guess) after they adopted the crowd noise rule, especially in the domes. I remember how QBs used to go under center, then back out and shrug to the ref as if to say "I can't hear anything." Refs would warn coaches. Coaches would flap their arms..... There was a year or two when they actually flagged it but they don't really enforce it any more ... either that or the rule was repealed.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #13
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
It happened at a lot of stadiums back in the late 80's (rough guess) after they adopted the crowd noise rule, especially in the domes. I remember how QBs used to go under center, then back out and shrug to the ref as if to say "I can't hear anything." Refs would warn coaches. Coaches would flap their arms..... There was a year or two when they actually flagged it but they don't really enforce it any more ... either that or the rule was repealed.
Whats up with the bag?

Et to aj?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, the noise thing became an issue with the advent of the dome stadiums. When stadiums were open air and typically had one open end, the noise/hearing wasn't an issue. Also, the fans have become a bit more into the game and really get noisy.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
No
Fun
Leauge
If only we would have listened to Vince McMahon.
Old 09-29-2006   #16
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 832 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Too Much Noise

Giants wont want to go back to Qwest - that was loud again. How many false starts - and against the same player as last year.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150820 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

well, it will even things out for our boys when they play away games.......
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #18
real

What if the crowd just won't stop??? I mean what if they give you that penalty...and the crowd keeps cheering??? And is it really fair to penalize the players ??? I mean there could be visiting fans making a lot of noise... What about in the superbowl...which is most of the time pretty neutral??? That...is....ree-dic-u-lus....The best solution would be to just give them the communication thing in their helmets...
Old 09-29-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150820 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
What if the crowd just won't stop??? I mean what if they give you that penalty...and the crowd keeps cheering??? And is it really fair to penalize the players ??? I mean there could be visiting fans making a lot of noise... What about in the superbowl...which is most of the time pretty neutral??? That...is....ree-dic-u-lus....The best solution would be to just give them the communication thing in their helmets...
& that takes the crowd out of the game.

should the NBA put a black curtain behind the backboard when Shaq goes to shoot free throws??
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& that takes the crowd out of the game.

should the NBA put a black curtain behind the backboard when Shaq goes to shoot free throws??
Well...maybe you misunderstood me...I think that if they do anything about it...they should choose option #2....I honestly don't have a problem with all the players having a speaker or hearing device in their helmet....we are advancing as far as the physical and Mental side goes...wo why not provide advances in technology...I actually think that is BRILLIANT!!! Everything can't stay the same forever, and I think eventually it WILL happen....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read