Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Daniels or Simpson?
Daniels - This guy is our TE of the future and can catch and block with the best. 37 64.91%
Simpson - We already have Joppru, Bruener, and Putzier! 19 33.33%
Someone else entirely 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who would you rather have at this point? Simpson or Daniels?

There was a LOT of complaining when the Texans passed on Ko Simpson for Owen Daniels in the 4th.

Then he started to look good in preseason and got the start.

Then our secondary started being awful.

So who would you rather have at this point? Daniels or Simpson?
Old 09-21-2006   #2
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Why does this even matter? We have Daniels, not Simpson. I would rather have Portis over Chester Pitts and Derrick Johnson over TJ but there really isnt any point to what ifs.
Old 09-21-2006   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ko Simpson is an upgrade over who? Micheal Stone?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #4
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63 View Post
Why does this even matter? We have Daniels, not Simpson. I would rather have Portis over Chester Pitts and Derrick Johnson over TJ but there really isnt any point to what ifs.
95% of what's posted on this forum are "what ifs"... i thought you'd be used to it by now

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #5
Texans86
All Pro

Where's Ko Simpson starting right now? I haven't heard anything about him, but that doesn't mean he isn't being productive. You probably should put some information up about him if you are going to have a decent comparison. So far I know Owen has done very well, and has at least one touchdown. That's not too bad for a rookie. If he can get one more per game he might set a record. Doubtful, but its still possible.
Old 09-21-2006   #6
TFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 10376 TFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86 View Post
Where's Ko Simpson starting right now? I haven't heard anything about him, but that doesn't mean he isn't being productive. You probably should put some information up about him if you are going to have a decent comparison. So far I know Owen has done very well, and has at least one touchdown. That's not too bad for a rookie. If he can get one more per game he might set a record. Doubtful, but its still possible.
With the bills. I think he starts for them.
TFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #7
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan281 View Post
95% of what's posted on this forum are "what ifs"... i thought you'd be used to it by now
Pre-draft talk should be what ifs, after the fact what good does it do to sit around and think "what if we had this guy"
Old 09-21-2006   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL View Post
With the bills. I think he starts for them.
I think that was OJ.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #9
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86 View Post
You probably should put some information up about him if you are going to have a decent comparison.
Owen Daniels
Game 1 - no stats
Game 2 - 4 receptions, 45 yds, 1 TD

Ko Simpson
Game 1 - 4 solo, 3 assists
Game 2 - 1 solo, 3 assists, 1 sack

FWIW
Old 09-21-2006   #10
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

At this point Simpson. I mean c'mon Daniels may be the better pick in the long run, but right now Brown is killing me. Daniels made what a TD, Simpson might have prevented what 2-3 touchdowns. I mean maybe Simpson would have had enough sense not to have just pushed that receiver down in the endzone and have our INT. called back. K.O. might have had enough sense to stay with Stallworth instead of trying to come up and be SS run support. It's only two games in so right now it's not fair, but as of right now, Simpson would be much nicer. I mean tell me secondary hasn't killed us so far.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

we could go back and see who was the best player available in every round of every draft..and talk about how we could have taken them over *insert player*

doesnt make a difference..pointless topic.. and its kinda sleazy too. Like your mother talking about all the kids she could have adopted if she hadnt had you.

Lets show a bit of respect towards our players.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #12
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
we could go back and see who was the best player available in every round of every draft..and talk about how we could have taken them over *insert player*

doesnt make a difference..pointless topic.. and its kinda sleazy too. Like your mother talking about all the kids she could have adopted if she hadnt had you.

Lets show a bit of respect towards our players.
Our players will be the first one's to remind you that this is a business. Unfortunately, I think any team loyalty that was once present in the NFL is quickly declining.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #13
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

If I were to say as of now, Daniels is our TE of the future and im becoming a LaRon Landry fan very quickly. Like everyone has said however, this thread is nothing more than a hypothetical so it gets the 'pointless' title.
Old 09-21-2006   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83 View Post
Our players will be the first one's to remind you that this is a business. Unfortunately, I think any team loyalty that was once present in the NFL is quickly declining.
I disagree.. i talk to alot of fans from alot of other teams.. they arent all big homers like myself ..but team loyalty is still just as prevalent as it was years ago.

And yah..its a business for the players... its a sport and form of entertainment for us. And I bet you $100 bucks that if you go sit in the Texans lockerroom, you wont hear anyone wondering if the team would be better if they had drafted *whoever*.

Partly because its unfair to the players we have, and partly because the past is the past and there is no changing it.. saying "we would have been better off if we had done this" is a pointless exercise. It boils down to whining..and there is nothing constructive or worthwhile about it.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #15
Snapple
Veteran

Ko Simpson was the best player available at the beginning of the 4th round, I thought. Or maybe even Darnell Bing. We had/have a BIG need at safety, and we passed on potential starting safeties, even in the 4th round. Instead, we took a guy who Wisconsin didn't even like enough to make their starting TE. I was mystified at the pick at the time.

Now, that doesn't mean it was a bad pick necessarily, because I knew very little about Daniels, and obviously the Texans took a closer look at him than I did. I feel like I can comment on Mario vs. Reggie better, because I saw a lot of both of them in college.

If I could go back, and I were the GM, of course I'd take Simpson still. Our defense STILL sucks, in case anyone didn't notice. We have Daniels right now though, so I'd love to be wrong about the pick. He did at least have a decent game in Indy.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #16
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
I disagree.. i talk to alot of fans from alot of other teams.. they arent all big homers like myself ..but team loyalty is still just as prevalent as it was years ago.

And yah..its a business for the players... its a sport and form of entertainment for us. And I bet you $100 bucks that if you go sit in the Texans lockerroom, you wont hear anyone wondering if the team would be better if they had drafted *whoever*.

Partly because its unfair to the players we have, and partly because the past is the past and there is no changing it.. saying "we would have been better off if we had done this" is a pointless exercise. It boils down to whining..and there is nothing constructive or worthwhile about it.
I wasn't trying to imply team loyalty was down amongst the fans, but the players. I'm also not trying to say that players sit around wondering what if, but more going in the direction that they could probably care less if the fans ask what if. You still hear a few players whine when traded or released, but it's becoming more and more prevalent for them to come out with the, "Well, it's a business....". It has a very calloused aesthetic to it. I just get the impression alot of players in the NFL are just happy to be collecting their paychecks, and don't really mind where they do it from, or if the fans there wish they were someone else. Just my 2 cents.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The draft has killed us in the past but the jury is still for the 2006 draft .

Today on 610 sports Lance said that Casserly did not have Shawn Merriman on his draft board . CC did not think he could play OLB in a 3-4 .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
The draft has killed us in the past but the jury is still for the 2006 draft .

Today on 610 sports Lance said that Casserly did not have Shawn Merriman on his draft board . CC did not think he could play OLB in a 3-4 .
I got an audio/visual image while reading your post. It was Casserly in the draft war room wearing a mask of Mr. Burns, from the Simpsons, talking on the phone with the theme music from the movie Halloween in the background.
Old 09-21-2006   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

What happens if the Chargers pick DJ and the Texans passed on Merriman ... who maybe the best defensive player today .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006   #20
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

I said we need Safety help, and we NEED safety help again! Daniels is a nice player but you had 2 decent veteran TEs and one maybe (Joppru).

I just hope we take a safety with the 2 or 3rd pick of this coming draft or make a big move to bring in a proven safety who has some decent speed and/or can read a defense.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read