Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Can we beat the Deadskins??
Yes we can win... We're more talented, and better prepared 14 14.29%
Yes,we are evenly matched, and can squeeze out a win 70 71.43%
No, even though talent is comparable, they Veteran team will win the close one 8 8.16%
No, We're way outclassed. It'll be a massacre(sp) 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2006   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Can we Beat the Deadskins??

Can we beat Washington??

Or are we going to heae that they are a playoff team, and that it isn't reasonable to expect a win.

Many of us thought we'd beat Philly, and lose to Washington...

I'll admit I expected Philly to continue to fade post T.O. into the mire SF is currently clawing
it's way out of. I was wrong on that one.

I also expected some unfinished business between Manning & Dungy.... w/Manning turning the punting team around
and all.

I don't think I ever thought much of Washington(must be the Cowboy in me) so I've always counted that
as a win. Last year, it was the big play that kept them in games...... not the kinda big play Peyton Manning & McNabb
work on.. or that AndyReid designed. But the pure luck kind, the kind that you can't continue to expect.
The kind you can't plan on. Portis will be a chore, but if we make them one dimensional, we can nullify that.
& I am very much surprised with the play of TJ & Weaver as a tackle.... I've been hard on Weaver,
but I think he earned the starting tackle spot this past Sunday. If we can close the middle, which I think is possible
if Weaver & TJ have been taking the starting snaps in practice, & force him outside, then we've got a pretty good
shot at making them one dimensional.

Defensively..... They're pretty stout. & I don't know what we have planned for the LT spot. But I like our chances.

But anyway.

What do you think, can we win??

I know this thread is already started somewhere, but I wanted a poll so we can record our predictions.

Predictions

PeterKings

MorePredictions
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #2
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 29181 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as Snyder is playing fantasy football, the Skins are never worth mentioning as a playoff team.

This is a winnable game, there's no excuse to get blown out, they're the Skins. Win or lose, I see this one as a struggle for both teams, one due to a stout NFC East defense, and the other is a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

You forgot a choice:
They have way more talent than we do, better coaches, yet no team chemistry. We may win becuase of that
Old 09-20-2006   #4
wicked_wayz
all blacks

no i say we just lose a close one........but it will be a struggle right down to the last second
Old 09-20-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I said evenly matched.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #6
kfranco_utexas
Veteran

Do i want them to?
Yes
Will it happen?
No

Old 09-20-2006   #7
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

We can win this, Washington's D hasnt been as good as advertised this season (27 to Dallas? wtf!) and they have some inexperianced corners (Carlos Roggers) and Kenny Wright (remeber him). I dont know if Shawn Springs is coming back or not, but I think AJ and Moulds should beat up on the secondary if Carr has time to throw (where have we heard that before). Stop the big play to Santana Moss, this one's on you Drob, and we pretty much stoped their offense. Also, hope Portis cant go all out...
Old 09-20-2006   #8
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see Portis carrying a heavy load in this one, being his first game back from injury. One wrong hit may even send him back to the sideline. Honestly, Moss scares me more this week than Portis does. Call it a hunch, but for some reason I think Mario gets his 1st sack and Carr throws his 1st INT this week.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #9
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

I think Carr has a good game - stats that won't lie like last week. RBs have a decent day running the ball. Mario gets to the QB this weekend at least once - gotta under promise and hopefully he over delivers.

It will be a pretty close , low scoring game.

Redskins - 17
Texans - 20
Old 09-21-2006   #10
wicked_wayz
all blacks

i agree with the previous comment......carr throws his 1st interception and mario has his 1st sack
Old 09-21-2006   #11
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we will win this week. If nothing else, I think this game will give us a better understanding of how much or little our team as developed because the talent level is similar for both teams. I think this game will come down to "execution" (I know that word is taboo around here) and who makes the least amount of mental mistakes. Our coaching needs to be spot on if we hope to take this game. I am optomistic for the fact that we just played two playoff caliber teams and this game should be a refresher for our guys. I know they won't be looking past it though, we don't have that luxury.
Old 09-21-2006   #12
BlueThunder
Veteran

Any team that can throw the ball is a threat to us..I still think we have more talent on offense.As for defense I see a complete overhaul next year.I can also see a new DC coming in and actually doing there job for a change.I think if there here next year it will be unbeliavable.I think someone needs to quit coaching because they clearly suck

BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFan View Post
I think Carr has a good game - stats that won't lie like last week. RBs have a decent day running the ball. Mario gets to the QB this weekend at least once - gotta under promise and hopefully he over delivers.

It will be a pretty close , low scoring game.

Redskins - 17
Texans - 20
I don't want to turn this into a Carr debate, and I'm not the staunchest Carr apologist...... but Carr did have a good game, and his stats didn't lie. Had we not turned the ball over twice in the first Qtr, we could have very well won that game...... 4TDs in the 4th Qtr or not. Had the defense did it's job, forced more than one punt in the entire game, forced a few turnovers..... we'd have won the game....

Carr throwing those short passes, he's putting more emphasis on our tightends to win the game, than he is putting on himself, but I'm a firm believer in taking what the defense gives you.

There were definitely some of his decisions, that I didn't agree with. 2nd & 20 he threw a 4 yard pass, then on 3rd & 16, he threw a 5 yard pass to Walter coming out of the backfield. What made him think Walter could pick up 11 yards on his own?? In those situations, I'd much rather he challenge the DBs with a deep pass, or buys time(putting himself at risk). But because of what we did to him last year, last game, and at the beginning of the 1st Qtr, I don't blame him for not buying time....... hopefully this will change in time.

If nothing else, Carr's stats may be misleading, but not an all out lie. He performed well considering. It also should say more than anything else, that we have other weaknesses.

Flanagan's been getting it handed to him for 6 quarters now...... I don't doubt he rushed that snap.

Right now, teams are preparing for our bootlegs more than our run game. Imagine if that was a handoff, and not a fake with Freeney & Mathis 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage......
Old 09-21-2006   #14
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't want to turn this into a Carr debate, and I'm not the staunchest Carr apologist...... but Carr did have a good game, and his stats didn't lie. Had we not turned the ball over twice in the first Qtr, we could have very well won that game...... 4TDs in the 4th Qtr or not. Had the defense did it's job, forced more than one punt in the entire game, forced a few turnovers..... we'd have won the game....

Carr throwing those short passes, he's putting more emphasis on our tightends to win the game, than he is putting on himself, but I'm a firm believer in taking what the defense gives you.

There were definitely some of his decisions, that I didn't agree with. 2nd & 20 he threw a 4 yard pass, then on 3rd & 16, he threw a 5 yard pass to Walter coming out of the backfield. What made him think Walter could pick up 11 yards on his own?? In those situations, I'd much rather he challenge the DBs with a deep pass, or buys time(putting himself at risk). But because of what we did to him last year, last game, and at the beginning of the 1st Qtr, I don't blame him for not buying time....... hopefully this will change in time.

If nothing else, Carr's stats may be misleading, but not an all out lie. He performed well considering. It also should say more than anything else, that we have other weaknesses.

Flanagan's been getting it handed to him for 6 quarters now...... I don't doubt he rushed that snap.

Right now, teams are preparing for our bootlegs more than our run game. Imagine if that was a handoff, and not a fake with Freeney & Mathis 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage......
Nice post Thunder, I agree 100% with your assesment as well. On the last part, yeah it would have been nice for them to have bitten on the bootleg and then we rip one off on the first play of the game for 20+ yards....
Old 09-21-2006   #15
afcman
Veteran

Well, we OUGHT to. If we can't beat them or the Titans, Raiders, or Cleveland then we will know that we REALLY STINK. Four games that we should win.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #16
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be there with some friends pulling for you. I think things start to come together for you guys a little more this weekend, if for no other reason, just because of my presence .
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #17
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcman View Post
Well, we OUGHT to. If we can't beat them or the Titans, Raiders, or Cleveland then we will know that we REALLY STINK. Four games that we should win.
Technically 5 games...we should sweep the Titans.
Old 09-21-2006   #18
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

We can win and I expect us to but they will be just as hungry as us. I am sure Portis is looking at this as an opportunity for a career day. We are going to have to play very hard and our coaching -- including this week's X-factor, again Richard Smith -- is going to have to be superior. Our players can get it done but only if our coaches optimize them through gameplanning.
Old 09-21-2006   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

No result in this game would surprise me.

Close game
Texans destroying Redskins
Redksins destroying Texans

Depends on who shows up and whether each of the teams can run the ball, and whether the Texans defense is just terrible or whether they just faced some tough offenses.

Special teams could make a difference.
Old 09-21-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I guess the real question I should've asked, should've been how disappointed would we be in a loss. So far, most everyone expects us to win this game..... but that it would be close.......

Would we be disappointed(i.e. "This team sucks break out the paper bags") with a close loss??

Would we be satisfied with a 4TD in the 4th Qtr performance??

Would we be satisfied with a zero sack day from YKW??

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read