Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2006   #1
texflex513
All Pro

Default Nice Mcclain Article

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/4199949.html

Really puts alot into perspective..
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texflex513 View Post
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/4199949.html

Really puts alot into perspective..
I like it. He actually speaks the truth. Nice find on the article
Old 09-20-2006   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Decent. I just hate having to keep "put things in perspective" after four long years.

I really would like a win on Sunday. Especially since I am going to the game.

Here's another stat. Last time Brunell came to our house, Leftwich became the permanent starter for the Jville Jags.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #4
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I just want to see them competitive. So far, they've looked like they don't belong in the league.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #5
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, it is a good article.

I think his point about the next two games is right on the money that it will really show us who this team is.

I will add, we'll get a good measuring stick for Carr's stats from the first two weeks. If they are as important as some people say they are, we could really win both of these games.

And David Carr winning both these games because of his play would be a great step forward to settling "THE GREAT TEXANS DEBATE".
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Yeah, it is a good article.

I think his point about the next two games is right on the money that it will really show us who this team is.

I will add, we'll get a good measuring stick for Carr's stats from the first two weeks. If they are as important as some people say they are, we could really win both of these games.

And David Carr winning both these games because of his play would be a great step forward to settling "THE GREAT TEXANS DEBATE".

Ultimately, if you read everything that Kubiak says and does, it is not about individual players on this team. He is loathed to talk about just Mario or just David--he just wants all the pieces and parts to start working together and trusting each other and doing what was practiced.
Old 09-20-2006   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:

At thi spoint, I think Carr could post a passing TD in each quarter and have a rating of over 100 and the team would still lose. I'd settle for a 10-7 win, if it just showed the defense playing up to par.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2006   #8
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Ultimately, if you read everything that Kubiak says and does, it is not about individual players on this team. He is loathed to talk about just Mario or just David--he just wants all the pieces and parts to start working together and trusting each other and doing what was practiced.
So what is your point?

My point has nothing to do with how Kubiak handles the media. Which is what your are discussing.

Like I said, Carr winning both of those games directly, would be great boost for this team to give them an identity, and really encourage the fans, which would begin to stop this endless debate. Bottom line, fans pay for this team, and there could be a problem in the near future the way things are going with fans continuing their financial support.

I really don't care to discuss the way Kubiak handles the press, which seems to be your point to me. It really is irrelevant.
Old 09-20-2006   #9
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
At thi spoint, I think Carr could post a passing TD in each quarter and have a rating of over 100 and the team would still lose. I'd settle for a 10-7 win, if it just showed the defense playing up to par.
As I have said, these next two games should be in play the entire four quarters. I don't expect high scoring games even as bad as our defense has played against the Colts and Eagles.

If Carr throws a TD every quarter in the next two games, I think the Texans should be able come away with easy victories. The defense will be off the field most of the game, which would be a good thing right now.

Even though David has some good stats, take away the first drive of the Eagles game and the last quarter of the Colts game, and you have a complete disaster.
Old 09-20-2006   #10
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
So what is your point?

My point has nothing to do with how Kubiak handles the media. Which is what your are discussing.

Like I said, Carr winning both of those games directly, would be great boost for this team to give them an identity, and really encourage the fans, which would begin to stop this endless debate. Bottom line, fans pay for this team, and there could be a problem in the near future the way things are going with fans continuing their financial support.

I really don't care to discuss the way Kubiak handles the press, which seems to be your point to me. It really is irrelevant.
I think she meant everyone's play should be measured as well as improved every individual player is accountable. and as for the carr debate... problems with the other areas of the team are just as important..
Old 09-20-2006   #11
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texflex513 View Post
I think she meant everyone's play should be measured as well as improved every individual player is a accountable. and as for the carr debate... problems with the other areas of the team are just as important..
Agreed, but I think from what we have seen this first two weeks, since the Texans appear to be playing lesser opponents, if Carr's play stays the same (the arguement is he is playing better than other people on offense), we should be able to get a couple of victories here.

It just seems surprising that Carr's stats are so important but there seems to be a reluctance to put the team on his back, not to mention he is probably the highest paid player on the team and #1 pick in the 2002 draft. He should shoulder most of the responsibility, regardless of how Kubiak handles the media.

As I said, this is a great opportunity for Kubiak and Carr to start to put a stamp on this team.
Old 09-20-2006   #12
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Agreed, but I think from what we have seen this first two weeks, since the Texans appear to be playing lesser opponents, if Carr's play stays the same (the arguement is he is playing better than other people on offense), we should be able to get a couple of victories here.

It just seems surprising that Carr's stats are so important but there seems to be a reluctance to put the team on his back, not to mention he is probably the highest paid player on the team and #1 pick in the 2002 draft. He should shoulder most of the responsibility, regardless of how Kubiak handles the media.

As I said, this is a great opportunity for Kubiak and Carr to start to put a stamp on this team.
Thats going under the assumption that Our QB is our leader... and on most teams the QB is the guy...I think that Carr doesnt want to be vocal or single out any players when he himself is not performing at a high level... hopefully kubiak can show him how to be our general and only then will our team begin to pull itself together.
Old 09-20-2006   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he is probably the highest paid player on the team and #1 pick in the 2002 draft.
AJ actually has the highest cap hit this year and next is being paid as a franchise WR--he needs to perform to the level of his cap hit as well. Let's face it--every #1 pick the Texans have needs to step up their game and prove their worth--Carr, AJ, Dunta, Babin, TJ and Mario. It is time for several of them to at least seriously be in the discussions for the pro-bowl.
Old 09-20-2006   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
If Carr throws a TD every quarter in the next two games, I think the Texans should be able come away with easy victories. The defense will be off the field most of the game, which would be a good thing right now.
The defense took the field with around a minute left in the half versus Philly, when they hadn't tired out yet (we had won the TOP battle at that point) and promptly gave up a TD. Immediately after halftime, they promptly gave up another TD. I really don't see where the defense being on the field too long has been an issue. Unless you're saying that having them on the field at all is a risk, in which case, I would have to agree with you. But I don't think the offense is going to get 60:00 in TOP
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The defense took the field with around a minute left in the half versus Philly, when they hadn't tired out yet (we had won the TOP battle at that point) and promptly gave up a TD. Immediately after halftime, they promptly gave up another TD. I really don't see where the defense being on the field too long has been an issue. Unless you're saying that having them on the field at all is a risk, in which case, I would have to agree with you. But I don't think the offense is going to get 60:00 in TOP
Exactly. The Texans had a lead of 10-7 which could have been more but for a drive stalled by poor blitz pick up (and cut short by Kubiak's admitted poor clock management leaving Philly a chance) and the O had the ball for 8 of the 10 minutes from the 11 minute mark. Poor D on back to back series took a lead to an 11 point deficit.
Old 09-20-2006   #16
cowboy62
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso View Post
I just want to see them competitive. So far, they've looked like they don't belong in the league.
you said it, they don't belong in the league.
cowboy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #17
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It does appear at this time the defense is a risk. So, the longer the offense can hold onto the football and score TDs, the better chance of winning the game because it really isn't in our best interest to have the defense on the field.

Also, if there is a lead, a defensive coordinator can maybe a take a few more chances. Just food for thought.

As for the Philly game, the defense did get an INT and the offense didn't do a thing with that, they just went three and out. Just putting a little balance...
Old 09-20-2006   #18
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
AJ actually has the highest cap hit this year and next is being paid as a franchise WR--he needs to perform to the level of his cap hit as well. Let's face it--every #1 pick the Texans have needs to step up their game and prove their worth--Carr, AJ, Dunta, Babin, TJ and Mario. It is time for several of them to at least seriously be in the discussions for the pro-bowl.

Your exactly right, the responsibility does need to be spread around a bit.
Old 09-20-2006   #19
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

Definately a good article. But personally I don't think you can get a good read on how well, or not, a team is doing until you get about halfway through the season. And more importantly how well they do in the last few games up to the halway point. If they are showing improvement then it's a good thing. If not then something will need to change. And that's just my two bits.
Old 09-20-2006   #20
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Other than the fact that he uses the term 'chill pill' in the heading, i'd say that's a good article. The stuff he's written over the last few weeks is making me warm up to the guy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read