Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2006   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Proof once more that Mario gets the shaft: Read this if you can stomach it...

On NFL Network this week, there was a segment with Adam Shefter where he was asked about Reggie Bush's "slump" against Green Bay after a great first game the week before.

Shefter actually said "Well, the thing with Reggie is that he doesn't actually have to produce to be effective. Just being on the field causes the defense to focus on him, making everyone else around him better..."

So Reggie gets a free pass even when he doesn't dazzle us on the field. Nice.

But Mario, when he gets double-teamed...or when we put him up against the opposing o line's best player, and thus other players like Demeco Ryans are getting 13 tackles (as a rookie), or Travis Johnson is slipping into the backfield and pulling down the running back as he gets the hand off, then Mario is in no way also helping our defense in the same manner?

Other teams are NOT gameplanning against Mario at all? They're not saying to their blockers during the week leading up to the game against Houston "Hey, this guy can motor, so let's focus on him OK?"

Proof again that the sports media sees what they WANT to see. Proof again that they will parse stats and say "Mario had another poor outing" while propping up "their guy" by ignoring the stats and playing the "Well, just being on the field is making a huge difference."

Proof that the sports geeks we grew up with, the guys in the hallways that drove you crazy because they relentlessly propped up "their guy" even in the face of contradicting evidence that proved otherwise are all grown up and now they have a microphone and a TV camera to continue to be the twirp that they've always been. Nice.

And you just thought you had grown up and graduated from high school. Apparently, we're still facing the same old twirps we did in our school days. Guys who said Christian Okoye would be a Hall of Famer. Guys who said Brian Bosworth could destroy Bo Jackson. Guys who said Percy Snow would be an elite LB (just as they are saying Derrick Johnson will also be a great LB).

Same story, different year.
Old 09-20-2006   #2
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Good times. We just gotta wait for Mario to get comfortable (its a much harder transition for a DE from college to pro's then for a running back) and go off on some teams. Lets try to discredit him when he ends up with 6 tackles and 2 sacks in a game!

(please let him end up with 6 tackles and 2 sacks in a game this season)
Old 09-20-2006   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush is drawing attention away from the defense while rookies and 2nd tier talents are free to score up there. So far Bush has made a difference for the Saints more than Williams has for us. Crying about "fair" won't help

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #4
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is, one is a marketable player and the other isn't. Bottom line, it's unfortunate but true. People will tune in to see him part the field like Moses & the Red Sea. I saw Inside the NFL the other day and it was one where they were talking about the draft. They had Jerry Jones on and they asked him about Mario vs Reggie. He stated that they had Mario as the BPA at #1, but if Reggie would have been there than they would have taken him because it's about selling tickets as well, not just about helping your team.
Old 09-20-2006   #5
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 138 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Reggie was going to get all of the media attention no matter where he went. If you're sick of it now, you should be glad we had the 2nd pick and not someone like the Jets.
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #6
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam View Post
I think Reggie was going to get all of the media attention no matter where he went. If you're sick of it now, you should be glad we had the 2nd pick and not someone like the Jets.

You have a point there.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #7
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Bush is drawing attention away from the defense while rookies and 2nd tier talents are free to score up there. So far Bush has made a difference for the Saints more than Williams has for us. Crying about "fair" won't help
Not saying that you are wrong, but I would be interested to see if Bush was on the field for that Rookie WR TD catch or was Duece.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2006   #8
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Fuel the fire. Face it guys. Mario is going to get thrown down this year, while Reggie is held high. Thats just the way it is. Get used to it for now.

Everyone knows that RB is the esiest way to get instant impact on a team. Mario was brought in to be the corner stone of our defense.

Just hope that Mario shows improvment each game. Reggie will get his time on ESPN. All top 3 offensive weapons do. Especially RB's.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
Not saying that you are wrong, but I would be interested to see if Bush was on the field for that Rookie WR TD catch or was Duece.
Bush and Deuce aren't splitting time. They pretty much play different positions. Bush is more of a wr than a rb and probably always will be.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Bush and Deuce aren't splitting time. They pretty much play different positions. Bush is more of a wr than a rb and probably always will be.
If he turns out to be the next SteveSmith, ChadJohnson, or Marvin Harrison, then I'll be sick. We could've used that to go opposite AJ on every down.

Don't get me wrong, I like Moulds, & I like the Veteran Credibility he brings to our team.

I'm just saying if Reggie was billed as the next Jerry Rice or something, then I'd have been on the wagon as well.

TedGinn Jr excites me quite a bit........

Actually, that's not true....... it's all that BushBowl stuff that turned me off of the idea of ReggieBush in Houston. I'd have been happy with Michael Huff, or that Cromartie guy with the #1 pick instead of Reggie.

I've got nothing against the little fella....
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
QFT. Bottom line is that the Saints opened up their season with 2 away games and won both. Bush has been effective in both games although only used as WR and SE in his 2nd game. Irregardless, the guy hasn't dominated but helped his team go 2-0 to open the season.

If you buy the party line, they picked Mario over Bush because they needed defense more than a RB in their system. Based on this year's defensive performance, they were right in stating we needed defense more than offense. So in a wierd way, the defense sucking validates the Mario pick even more....but after time you gotta have results or it was bad pick...lets hope for the best

doug

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 09-20-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #12
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone noticed that Mario is playing better than Freeney? Hmm.... course not. And I have watched. I dont know what it is but Freeney is slipping this year. He really does not look competitive.

Anyways.... just like it always has been.... the Mario pick is only a bad pick if you are trying to sell tickets. I am happy to have him, and I don't give a good hoot ESPN says. His selection in the draft shows the understanding and patience that our coaching staff and owner has. I love it. Reggie was the impulse buy, but Kubes knew that we needed a DE. Nuff said...
Old 09-20-2006   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Has anyone noticed that Mario is playing better than Freeney? Hmm.... course not. And I have watched. I dont know what it is but Freeney is slipping this year. He really does not look competitive.

Anyways.... just like it always has been.... the Mario pick is only a bad pick if you are trying to sell tickets. I am happy to have him, and I don't give a good hoot ESPN says. His selection in the draft shows the understanding and patience that our coaching staff and owner has. I love it. Reggie was the impulse buy, but Kubes knew that we needed a DE. Nuff said...
Yeah, there was a post the other day about 'fast twitch muscle' guys and stuff and it got me thinking. They had Freeney, Abraham, and Kearse all listed as fast twitch and guys like Bruce Smith, Mario, and Strahan as slow twitch guys.

Well last time I checked all 3 'fast twitch' guys are all injured and when you are so reliant on superior moves and pure athleticism, if you lose a step your time is over. To be honest, if Mario can make some progress, show some more heart, and stay injury free his first year, I will be optimistic about Mario for the future

doug
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #14
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last year, the Saints got play at Carolina and at New York Giants. Both playoff teams. They also were dealing with Katrina, and had Aaron Brooks at QB.

So, Brees, bad teams, and no Katrina is a better explanation than Reggie Bush being more intimidating as a receiver than Eric Moulds.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #15
Chaft
Rookie

I know the Colts have a very good offense, but they scored at will against the Texans. They have the easiest time against the Texans than any other team. They scored 43 points. 43 points is a lot even for the Colts. Didn't they rack up 500 yards or something? Mario might indeed be drawing attention, but it's not like it's doing anything for the defense.
Chaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #16
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Yeah, there was a post the other day about 'fast twitch muscle' guys and stuff and it got me thinking. They had Freeney, Abraham, and Kearse all listed as fast twitch and guys like Bruce Smith, Mario, and Strahan as slow twitch guys.

Well last time I checked all 3 'fast twitch' guys are all injured and when you are so reliant on superior moves and pure athleticism, if you lose a step your time is over. To be honest, if Mario can make some progress, show some more heart, and stay injury free his first year, I will be optimistic about Mario for the future

doug
Excellent points. I agee. And as for the guy who wrote that article.... I need to see his diploma before I believe any of it.
Old 09-20-2006   #17
Chaft
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Last year, the Saints got play at Carolina and at New York Giants. Both playoff teams. They also were dealing with Katrina, and had Aaron Brooks at QB.

So, Brees, bad teams, and no Katrina is a better explanation than Reggie Bush being more intimidating as a receiver than Eric Moulds.
Wow. Drew Brees is good. I take Drew over Aaron Brooks every day of the week. However, you think Drew Brees takes pressure off Reggie? I think Reggie takes pressure off Drew. The situation is in stark contrast to Manning/Addai and Brady/Maroney.

What rookie skill player on a bad team is actually making a difference? Bad teams are bad for a reason. They usually lack talent. This means opposing defenses are more likely able to key in on them. The Vegas line for the Saints in total wins was 6.5. Texans have a 5.5 total win line. I think the Saints are overachieving now.

As for blaming Katrina for last year for the Saints poor record, they were 8-8 in 2004. The Texans were 7-9 in 2004. Does anyone think the Texans underachieved to get a 2-14 record with essentially the same exact roster except Glenn and Sharper? Come on. Both the Texans and Saints underachieved last year.
Chaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post

When I here the defensive guys say, "Yeah, we focused too much on Reggie Bush" I'll beleive it. But when they are covering one on one, and the first man brings him down, or he runs for 45 yards to pick up 13 on a punt return..... I'll take it with a grain of salt.

The Saints needed Reggie about as much as we did. Him not having a touchdown in the two wins, and a combined 70 yards rushing only proves it.
Old 09-20-2006   #19
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If he turns out to be the next SteveSmith, ChadJohnson, or Marvin Harrison, then I'll be sick. We could've used that to go opposite AJ on every down.

Don't get me wrong, I like Moulds, & I like the Veteran Credibility he brings to our team.

I'm just saying if Reggie was billed as the next Jerry Rice or something, then I'd have been on the wagon as well.

TedGinn Jr excites me quite a bit........

Actually, that's not true....... it's all that BushBowl stuff that turned me off of the idea of ReggieBush in Houston. I'd have been happy with Michael Huff, or that Cromartie guy with the #1 pick instead of Reggie.

I've got nothing against the little fella....

He's not a true WR like those guys. He is more of a WR/RB hybrid. He is put in motion around the field simliar to an H-Back and is used to create mismatches. There is not a name for what he does, which is why he is called a once in a lifetime talent, but he is somewhere inbetween a RB and WR.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Is Greed View Post
He's not a true WR like those guys. He is more of a WR/RB hybrid. He is put in motion around the field simliar to an H-Back and is used to create mismatches. There is not a name for what he does, which is why he is called a once in a lifetime talent, but he is somewhere inbetween a RB and WR.

another reason not to take him with the #1....... he's not a reciever, he's not a running back.

He's more like an H-back, used to creat mis-matches...... moving my tightend around does the same thing....... Too big for Corners..... to fast for LBs..

Except Reggie isn't too big/strong for a corner........ so you move him outside in the NFL, and he'll get mugged for 5 yards. The LB will release, and Reggie will run right into a safety.... again, not too big or too strong for..... Nothing so different than getting Jeremy Shockey lined up on a safety, or Jason Witten on a LB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read