Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2006   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bedell Back

So they brought Brad Bedell - a guard - back to fill Spencer's roster spot.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4199872.html

This tells me a couple of things.

1) They are keeping McKinney available to back up the center position, so they must not be too high on Hodgdon. McKinney hasn't proven much at center in the past, so we'll se how this works out.

2) They are confident in Salaam as the starting tackle for 14 games, even though he was kept to be swing tackle for spot duty and for his locker room presence. This seems a little risky since he played the role of Victor Riley with Jacksonville last year.

3) They have confidence that Winston can be a starter, or they have confidence in Weigert's health and that Weigert can improve his play. Weigert has missed games the past couple of years; Winston better be ready, all hype and long hair aside.

Maybe they have another move planned to bring in a fourth tackle. Our depth is non-existent right now. Now is a good time for our coaches to step up and show us what they have, rookie coaches or not.
Old 09-20-2006   #2
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner

1) They are keeping McKinney available to back up the center position, so they must not be too high on Hodgdon. McKinney hasn't proven much at center in the past, so we'll se how this works out.

2) They are confident in Salaam as the starting tackle for 14 games, even though he was kept to be swing tackle for spot duty and for his locker room presence. This seems a little risky since he played the role of Victor Riley with Jacksonville last year.

3) They have confidence that Winston can be a starter, or they have confidence in Weigert's health and that Weigert can improve his play. Weigert has missed games the past couple of years; Winston better be ready, all hype and long hair aside.

Maybe they have another move planned to bring in a fourth tackle. Our depth is non-existent right now. Now is a good time for our coaches to step up and show us what they have, rookie coaches or not.
I agree. It also tells me that they think nothing of Seth Wand.

I'm not sold on Steve McKinney. I just wonder how much of the O-Line troubles over the last few years have been because of bad protection calls from the center? Also, when Hodgden played last year, i thought he looked pretty good. I wonder what's going on with him?
gjmac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #3
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner

And

4) Wand must really have fallen out of favor or else got in somebodys doghouse. I thought for sure the team would re-sign him. So much for my judgement on football skills. Guess I just like pulling for the underdog.

oops gjmac we must have been posting at the same time.
Old 09-20-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmac2
It also tells me that they think nothing of Seth Wand.
Whether he'd help the team now or not.
Old 09-20-2006   #5
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Who knows, he may end up getting permanent TE help. Hopefully that will not be needed...
Old 09-20-2006   #6
phan1
All Pro

Yeah, I thought Wand would have been picked up by another team by now. Could he be out of the NFL a la Billy Miller?
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Bedell, IIRC, played some LT at Green Bay.

I am guessing they signed him because of the flexibility he offers. The Texans have a little rain cloud that follows the offensive line wherever it goes. I guess they need some flexibility.
Old 09-20-2006   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we counting Flanagan out? Anybody know his status? Even though McKinney lives in my hometown, I don't like seeing him at center either.
Old 09-20-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

I am guessing they signed him because of the flexibility he offers. The Texans have a little rain cloud that follows the offensive line wherever it goes. I guess they need some flexibility.
OK. I thought they might get a left tackle to put out there rather than a swing player or a multi-role player, since there are 14 more games and Spencer is out for the year.

Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none comes to mind.
Old 09-20-2006   #10
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Not really a surprise. He's one of Sherman's boys and supposedly can play tackle and guard. They need additional insurance for Flanagan ..... heck, they need additional insurance for Weigert for that matter.....

I saw Bedell play some RT in camp - no LT that I can recall. He's seen very limited action in his five or six years in the league. 4 starts in his career and all were four or five years ago.

Just recently married. His lovely wife Jessica grew up near Cleveland and is a big Browns fan - but not a Butch Davis or Ted Thompson fan as you can probably figure from Brad's career travels.

Last edited by aj.; 09-20-2006 at 12:06 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a little surprised about them not signing Wand too but I'm not going to worry about it. They clearly have no interest in him so what's the point. I figured that someone else would have picked him up too so I must also be caught in the "rooting for the underdog" thing.

I guess that means pretty much everything they said about him during camp was a load of bull.
Old 09-20-2006   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Houston Texans: Spinal Tap for OL.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #13
Crazyhorse
Rookie

If they expect Salaam to play 14 games then that tells me that Sherman is saving left tackle for his boy Spencer. If not then he would use Salaam to groom Winston as well incase the need arises. I still think Winston is the more mobile of the two. All during preseason his foot work was better than Spencer's but Sherman is calling the shots and Spencer was his pick in the draft so go figure?
Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #14
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Houston Texans: Spinal Tap for OL.
If one of our lineman spontaneously combust leaving a blob of goo on the field, then (a) I wouldn't be surprised, and (b) someone tell Carr to Stop, Drop, and Roll.
Old 09-20-2006   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
And

4) Wand must really have fallen out of favor or else got in somebodys doghouse. I thought for sure the team would re-sign him. So much for my judgement on football skills. Guess I just like pulling for the underdog.

oops gjmac we must have been posting at the same time.
It just goes to show that I know nothing about football. I thought for sure Wand would be back by now. This team has a large drop off from starter to backup at tackle and Wand would help lessen that drop off. Maybe Winston looks betters at his more familiar LT than he does at RT.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
It just goes to show that I know nothing about football. I thought for sure Wand would be back by now. This team has a large drop off from starter to backup at tackle and Wand would help lessen that drop off. Maybe Winston looks betters at his more familiar LT than he does at RT.
Maybe we just don't understand the depth of the "out with the old, in with the new" philosophy of the staff.
Old 09-20-2006   #17
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
If they expect Salaam to play 14 games then that tells me that Sherman is saving left tackle for his boy Spencer.
I'm sure that being able to walk normally again will be Spencer's primary goal over the next several months. This was a pretty ugly injury from reports and whether he will be able to regain the same level of strength and mobility in the leg and return to the NFL 'as good as new' remains to be seen. Maybe CND can shed some light ...
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #18
JohnGalt
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 JohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballotJohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Maybe we just don't understand the depth of the "out with the old, in with the new" philosophy of the staff.
I sincerely hope this is not an ego thing with the coaches. I feel like they are going to shoot themselves in the foot.

I may be a little sensitive about the OL, but I've always felt that the OL and DL are the backbone to every good team.

We have a such history of poor O-line play here, it's almost sapping the joy I get from watching NFL football.

Does anyone, outside of Kubiak, really feel comfortable with Salaam at LT for 14 more games?

Wand is hardly the Great White Hope, but he wouldn't that big of a downgrade in place of Spencer.

Can you imagine what must be going through Carr's mind right now?
Old 09-20-2006   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Good points about Wand. It is interesting that he's not been picked up by any team by now.

It figures that this happened to Spencer. Our o-line is our bad voodoo. We seem to be haunted by an inability to put together even a consistent squad, much less a good one.
Old 09-20-2006   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Good points about Wand. It is interesting that he's not been picked up by any team by now.
I don't think any team has made a move to pick up a tackle since the final cuts of camp (unless you count this Bedell pick-up).

I don't know why that is - it seems like some positions get moved around like a hot potato. Do teams want to give their o-lines every chance to play together until absolutely forced to make a move?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read