Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-19-2006   #1
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default We Could Have Drafted Chris Simms

"Nobody has struggled like Simms. He has thrown six interceptions and no touchdowns, has a league-low passer rating of 39.9 and has had seven passes batted down at the line of scrimmage."

Article on Simms

Culpepper catching it in Miami also.

"But a quarterback change is not what Culpepper's teammates are thinking about -- especially not Joey Harrington, who heard fans calling for him to replace Culpepper on Sunday and didn't appreciate the gesture."

Article on Culpepper

I'll keep Carr thank you.

Old 09-19-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

All three teams are 0-2, yet we extend our QB at 7 million a year after going 18-46 the first 4 years. Yes we have much to be thankful for.
Old 09-19-2006   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
All three teams are 0-2, yet we extend our QB at 7 million a year after going 18-46 the first 4 years. Yes we have much to be thankful for.
And Culpepper's contract has him making an average of $10 mil per year. Let it go--the money is spent at this point--let's see what kind of play we are getting. So far improved with plenty of room for more improvement.
Old 09-19-2006   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been saying that Bruce Gradkoski will play and eventually start for the Bucs.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #5
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
I've been saying that Bruce Gradkoski will play and eventually start for the Bucs.
He looked pretty good in one of their exhibition games on tv.

Old 09-19-2006   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
He looked pretty good in one of their exhibition games on tv.

He looked alright when I saw him at Reliant. I'm not basing this on his play, but rather reports from the offseason, Gruden loves the kid.
Old 09-20-2006   #7
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I'm not surprised. I never thought he deserved to start over Applewhite way back when, but atleast he has natural looking mechanics unlike another Longhorns QB that will be a washout as an NFL player unless he becomes a DB.
Wrong.
Old 09-20-2006   #8
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not surprised. I never thought he deserved to start over Applewhite way back when, but atleast he has natural looking mechanics unlike another Longhorns QB that will be a washout as an NFL player unless he becomes a DB.
Cmon now, isnt it a little early to comment on Colt McCoy's delivery?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ha, Colt McCoy. That's a good one. No, the QB I'm refering to is often compared to Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, and Michael Vick; because he is mobile, but a better comparison would be Kordell Stewart or Akili Smith. They were all mobile QBs, but Kordell reminds me of him the most.
You violated a message board rule by comparing the QB who shall remain nameless to a QB who had an unsucessfull pro career. Dont you know you have to compair him to a sucess or say he is a breed of his own and the picture perfect QB prototype. Nah all kidding aside, give the Nameless One al least a few seasons before you call him a washout. Simms shouldnt have started at UT over Applewhite, and he shouldnt have replaced Grease in TB.
Old 09-21-2006   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
"Nobody has struggled like Simms. He has thrown six interceptions and no touchdowns, has a league-low passer rating of 39.9 and has had seven passes batted down at the line of scrimmage."

Article on Simms

Culpepper catching it in Miami also.

"But a quarterback change is not what Culpepper's teammates are thinking about -- especially not Joey Harrington, who heard fans calling for him to replace Culpepper on Sunday and didn't appreciate the gesture."

Article on Culpepper

I'll keep Carr thank you.

I feel I owe these two an apology. I have both of them on my Fantasy Football team.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #11
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I don't think Culpepper will be "right" until next year. Those knee injuries often take 2 years to come back from.
Old 09-21-2006   #12
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Simms has still turned out better than Ragone so far. Isn't that the comparison that really should be made?

I don't know why Casserly drafted a QB in the 3rd round that year. That said, if someone held a gun to my head and made me choose a QB at that spot, I would have chosen Simms over Ragone. Then and now.
Old 09-21-2006   #13
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Simms has still turned out better than Ragone so far. Isn't that the comparison that really should be made?

I don't know why Casserly drafted a QB in the 3rd round that year. That said, if someone held a gun to my head and made me choose a QB at that spot, I would have chosen Simms over Ragone. Then and now.
My original intent was to show that the Texans aren't the only team whose QB is undergoing scrutiny. Not to rag on either player as it might seem at first glance.

I believe that Simms did show his coaches something last season, and you are right about Culpepper recovering from injury.

As for drafting Ragone, another instance where my lack of skill in judging players abilities manifested itself. I expected more from Rags.

But I do prefer Carr, for now.

I am beginning to question my judgment on football skills though.

Old 09-21-2006   #14
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Simms was drafted in the 3rd round and is entering his first ever season as a starter. Ragone is no longer on the team who was taken ahead of Simms.

Carr on the other hand was taken #1 overall and given tons of money after producing little in 4 seasons. You can't compare Simms to Carr.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #15
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Carr on the other hand was taken #1 overall and given tons of money after producing little in 4 seasons. You can't compare Simms to Carr.
If you can compare "Saint Reginald" Bush to Mario Williams, you can sure as heck compare Carr and Simms.
Old 09-21-2006   #16
texaslifter
Veteran

Quote:
Keep your trolling and **** talking about VY off of here.
texaslifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
If you can compare "Saint Reginald" Bush to Mario Williams, you can sure as heck compare Carr and Simms.
Simms wasn't picked at the top of the draft like Mario and his holiness.

"Nobody has struggled like Chris Simms...."
Aaron Brooks, Kerry Collins, Mark Brunell? Maybe not, but I think I heard Collins had a rating of 1.3....
Old 09-22-2006   #18
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Simms was drafted in the 3rd round and is entering his first ever season as a starter. Ragone is no longer on the team who was taken ahead of Simms.

I linked articles about two players struggles. There has been a lot of talk on this site about Carr struggling.

I posted them to show that we are not the only ones with this dilemma.

I mentioned no contract numbers, no draft position. I admitted the error of my judgment on Ragone. I didn't say that either player sucked or should be run out of town. I didn't post any of Carrs numbers..

Where is the comparison?

I only stated:... "But I do prefer Carr, for now."

Which I do.

Are you inferring you would prefer Simms now?..

Last edited by cuppacoffee; 09-22-2006 at 11:22 AM.
cuppacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Simms is trash. At least DC can escape the pass rush somewhat, Simms goes down if someone touches him. I also don't think that Gruden is happy with him either, he just gave him the benefit of the doubt. Ragone.......well too bad he couldn't parlay that NFL Europe MVP into a more lucrative contract.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006   #20
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post

Where is the comparison?
The title of this thread is "we could have drafted Simms", and then you stated in the OP that you'll "keep Carr thank you." That's trying to compare Simms to Carr. Which is dubious, because Simms would have never been the Texans' starter even if they had drafted him.

If the Texans had drafted Simms, he would have been traded away by now. Ragone was not drafted to be the eventual starter, nor was he drafted to challenge David Carr.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read