Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2006   #1
Barkley

Default Our Biggest Positional Weaknesses

After two games the following positions are our biggest weaknesses IMO:

1) CB
2) RB
3) Safety
4) Linebacker
5) OT
Old 09-19-2006   #2
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkley

1) CB
2) RB
3) Safety
4) Linebacker
5) OT
I've got to go with:

1. SAFETY
2. CB
3. RB
4. OT
5. LB
Old 09-19-2006   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Remember, defensive backs are going to look like crap until we establish some sort of pass rush.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #4
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
Remember, defensive backs are going to look like crap until we establish some sort of pass rush.
I agree....but you at least have to cover the WRs until the Dline is able to get out of their stance.
Old 09-19-2006   #5
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB
I agree....but you at least have to cover the WRs until the Dline is able to get out of their stance.
I'll hold my judgement on our Defensive Backs until we have played against a few teams that don't have QB's that are bound for the Hall of Fame.

In the last two weeks we have face smart play making QB's with good O-lines. We have had pathetic pass rushes.

with that said our Defensive Backs have looked horrendous. their only saving grace is that they are young and in a new system. Which sadly makes it very hard to tell who is actually any good.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #6
AustinJB
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
I'll hold my judgement on our Defensive Backs until we have played against a few teams that don't have QB's that are bound for the Hall of Fame.

In the last two weeks we have face smart play making QB's with good O-lines. We have had pathetic pass rushes.

with that said our Defensive Backs have looked horrendous. their only saving grace is that they are young and in a new system. Which sadly makes it very hard to tell who is actually any good.
I can agree w/ that...I just think at this point our Dline isn't as big a problem as our secondary...but like you said, can we truly make that observation yet?
Old 09-19-2006   #7
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

12th man.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2006   #8
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Actually....I've figured out our biggest problem

We need More Cowbell
I assume you mean to take ow out and replace it with am.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how anyone could possibly go with anything on that list other than linebacker. When we can actually rush a passer then I'll be ready to look at the defensive backs and fairly evaluate what they're doing. Last season people couldn't stop talking about C.C. Brown and now he's a disaster. Honestly I think we got more pressure last year than we have so far this season.

I suspect we could use another CB to go with Dunta. I think we could also upgrade our FS spot. I don't think it's a slam dunk though.

When our top to running backs have been here more than two weeks then we can evaluate them. Gado and Dayne could be the ticket. They need to play before we can decide that.

We just took a pair of tackles in the third round of the last draft. Spencer will recover and Winston will step up.

That leaves LB where I think Ryans could use some help. I don't believe Greenwood and Orr are the worst linebackers I've ever seen but we could definitely upgrade.

TJ is good for 15-20 plays right now according to the Kubiak press conference. Imagine what it would be like if Ryans and Derrick Johnson were back there together.

I still get ticked when I think about that draft. I'm still more annoyed at that then anything that happened this year in the draft.
Old 09-19-2006   #10
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

The position I have the most problem with is LAST PLACE.
Old 09-19-2006   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Long Snapper. We need competition and depth there, it is the cornerstone of every great dynasty.
Old 09-19-2006   #12
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
Veteran

Thats what makes it so frustrating you can look at safety, DB, LB, and both lines and see spots where we need better talent. I am holding out hope that some of the players who have yet to develop will be a a surprise this year with their imrovement!
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #13
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Long Snapper. We need competition and depth there, it is the cornerstone of every great dynasty.
Oh, sure, blame Bryan Pittman, take the easy way out. He has all the tangible qualities you look for in a HOF longsnapper, we just need to build around him.

Personally, I think we need to take a good hard look at replacing Chad Stanley with a punter with a real leg. Let's get real here, if we're going to be punting the ball 90% of our drives a good punter could really shine on this team.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #14
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

1. OLB
2. OT
3. FS
4. CB
5. OG
6. RB

Those are the only weaknesses I see. Every other position has either got good talent, or a good young player being groomed.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303257 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Hey now, he made a tackle last weekend. Of course the ST should be embarrassed by the long snapper having to make the play but that is another issue.
Old 09-20-2006   #16
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
Oh, sure, blame Bryan Pittman, take the easy way out. He has all the tangible qualities you look for in a HOF longsnapper, we just need to build around him.

Personally, I think we need to take a good hard look at replacing Chad Stanley with a punter with a real leg. Let's get real here, if we're going to be punting the ball 90% of our drives a good punter could really shine on this team.
Danial Sepulveda, out of Baylor University. Hey, he gets lots of in game experience with that team. Alright, I'm slightly biased, but this guy has a leg. Four months after ACL surgery and he's kicking it 60 yards. Ray Guy award winner. He'll be playing on Sundays next year, and he'll be an asset for whatever team that is. Well, unless it's the Colts, who pay an awful lot for someone to do very little work. That would just be unfair to have one of the best punters ride the bench.
Old 09-20-2006   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought we weren't supposed to put these Draft post in here anymore ? I gotta whooping the last time I put one up in here.

Look this dike is so leaky, we ain't got enough fingers to plug 'em all. If Spencer's chiped off the bottom by the ankle of his Tibia, I wouldn't go around posting '07. I don't care how many screws they put in it. You know what they say about assUme. Just saying. The coach speak outta give you a clue. Right ? "Severe" . Anyone use the term "severe" in regards to leg injuries, tells me this story isn't going to have a happy ending by 07. Bo don't play no more ( old nike comercial grasshoppers. Bo Jackson, look him up). Gonna take 'Months' befor we can (even) set a time frame on recovery. Kubes is tring to let you guys down slowly. Just sayin. And you know me. I've been banging the drum for O-line help since 2003.
And there's no gaurntee that when he comes back, if he comes back, that he will have the same quickness as befor. We're not going anywhere and we'll still be digging in the same hole next year untill we get that fixed. Someone in the front office is eventually going to get it. A wiser man would have stoped digging and started building a ladder a while back. Drafting WR's and Rb's just seems foolish to me. Stop digging ! Don't have to have Joe Thomas in the first. But every round you let them slip by, you increase your chance for failure expodentaily. Just sayin'. Not going to fight about it this year. Just sayin.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 09-20-2006 at 03:49 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

1) CB
2) RB
3) Safety
4) Linebacker
5) OT
The only way I can see CB so high on this list, is if you've given up on DuntaRobinson. Sanders has actually played pretty well, and Buch also outplayed Dunta against Denver in the preseason.

We still have an injured Faggins also coming back in a few weeks.

RB: Lundy looked really good before the fumble..... then we got in a whole, and 7 yard runs were no longer any good. then We've got Dayne & Gado, both looked pretty exciting, and capable...... I wouldn't have RB so high either.

CC bites hard on the play action...... after last year's debacle, how can you blame him?? As soon as our LBs & DL start doing their job against the run, then he can play Safety, and not third teir LB.

LB: Has to be at the top of the list. I understand they are learning a new system....... But when Peyton runs the same play three times in the same Qtr, and you jump the wrong route everytime....... & I know he stared down the TE, & patted the ball on the last one

OT....... Kubiak kept Salaam over Wand...... it might not say a lot, but I don't think we should panic here just yet either. Spencer was doing a great job, hopefully he'll make it back. We need a true Center..... IMHO, Flanagan wasn't cutting the mustard, and is a little long in the tooth as well. Even if Hogdon becomes our Center of the future, we need a younger backup.

I would definitely look at OG as well....... I don't like what we have in Spencer, Weary, & McKinney..... Weary has been our best OG over the last two weeks..... but that ain't saying much.

So I have it:

1) LB
2) Center
3) OG
4) LB
5) RB/DB
6) DB/RB
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #19
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
I thought we weren't supposed to put these Draft post in here anymore ? I gotta whooping the last time I put one up in here.

Look this dike is so leaky, we ain't got enough fingers to plug 'em all. If Spencer's chiped off the bottom by the ankle of his Tibia, I wouldn't go around posting '07. I don't care how many screws they put in it. You know what they say about assUme. Just saying. The coach speak outta give you a clue. Right ? "Severe" . Anyone use the term "severe" in regards to leg injuries, tells me this story isn't going to have a happy ending by 07. Bo don't play no more ( old nike comercial grasshoppers. Bo Jackson, look him up). Gonna take 'Months' befor we can (even) set a time frame on recovery. Kubes is tring to let you guys down slowly. Just sayin. And you know me. I've been banging the drum for O-line help since 2003.
And there's no gaurntee that when he comes back, if he comes back, that he will have the same quickness as befor. We're not going anywhere and we'll still be digging in the same hole next year untill we get that fixed. Someone in the front office is eventually going to get it. A wiser man would have stoped digging and started building a ladder a while back. Drafting WR's and Rb's just seems foolish to me. Stop digging ! Don't have to have Joe Thomas in the first. But every round you let them slip by, you increase your chance for failure expodentaily. Just sayin'. Not going to fight about it this year. Just sayin.
I think it's a little premature to make a prognosis on Spencer and his recovery, one way or the other. Yes, he has a "severe" injury, but it could be alot worse (Knee). I have not heard any reports of chipped bones around the ankle.

Two points regarding Spencer and the O-Line:

1. Spencer has got to lose some more weight. IMO, he should be playing in the 305-315 lb. range. He was quick on Sunday at 327, imagine if he lost another 15 pounds. I agree with Kubiak that from what I have seen, the man is going to be a really good player for years to come.

2. About the O-Line, give the new staff a chance. They have brought in a new center, and 3 new tackles, and the coaches deserve a fair chance to mold this group into a unit. Someone asked Kubiak about his blocking scheme with this group, and he said that the Texans were in the "Elementary" stages. It takes time.

I will keep saying this till I'm blue in the face, Kubiak and co. have 4 years of bad coaching, bad drafts & bad front office decisions to overcome. Give them a chance. The Spencer injury was unfortunate, but that stuff happens. Look at the injury report around the league, every team has injuries. We just need to suck it up and keep getting better.
gjmac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss

I would definitely look at OG as well....... I don't like what we have in Spencer, Weary, & McKinney..... Weary has been our best OG over the last two weeks..... but that ain't saying much.
You meant Pitts right?

My list:

FS/SS: One of these safeties has to go next year....We don't have a play maker back there...Which ever one of those guys has the worst season is outta there....I think we will be able to get a good safety in the second...

LB: Im kind of torn...I don't know how these guys should be dismantled and put back together...they're clearly broken, but how do you fix em ? I would like to get true MLB...Move Meco to weakside...or keep Meco at MLB and draft a SLB....I am leaning toward option number two....

OL: We clearly need two more OL in this upcoming draft. Flannagan is not good anymore...he's slow, and can't get any push...Hopefully Spencer and Winston will be able to step in as the starting tackles next year...

CB:At the moment none of our corners have been performing well...I think we have some capable ones on the team and that's why they weren't first..

RB: I think the RB's we have now can get the job done...it'd be nice to have a playmaker though...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read