Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-19-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Manny Lawson, the "other" rookie DE from NC St, outproducing Mario

Lawson already has had 2 sacks, along with 9 tackles while playing for the
49ers. I think Mario has maybe 5 or 6 tackles with zippo sacks as we all know
all too well. You may say that Lawson's NFL team, the 49ers, has had an easier schedule with the Cardinals & Rams than the openers the Texans have had to contend with in Philly & Indy.
But here's something to consider, Lawson is playing as an OLB in a 3-4 at
San Fran. As a downlineman (opposite Mario) in NC States 4-3, he's fighting a far steeper learning curve than Mario has to negotiate here in Houston.
This guy was a first rounder himself, and I had seen reports before the Draft where some said that he was the "best" DLineman at NC State, not Mario.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #2
real

What is the point of this post ?
Old 09-19-2006   #3
Sportsfan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
There isn't one, its pointless. That or I guess his point is to say that we should have drafted Lawson instead.
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #4
Rosewood
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
all too well. You may say that Lawson's NFL team, the 49ers, has had an easier schedule with the Cardinals & Rams than the openers the Texans have had to contend with in Philly & Indy.
San Fran. As a downlineman (opposite Mario) in NC States 4-3, he's fighting a far steeper learning curve than Mario has to negotiate here in Houston.
This guy was a first rounder himself, and I had seen reports before the Draft where some said that he was the "best" DLineman at NC State, not Mario.
Mario has really got to step it up..he is stuck on blocks..he has only put his hands on a QB about 7 times out of 70+ plays...I am really hoping he plays well this seaon. With the right technique and the right DL coach he could be a real force. As for Lawson being the best at NCst, heard it right..he was the force that set up everything Mario did....just check out old clips of NCst.
Old 09-19-2006   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread brings nothing to the table. Thanks for wasting our time.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #6
Honch Delgado
Veteran

Quote:

You're going to get the "linebackers are supposed to rack up tackles" rebuttal
Old 09-19-2006   #7
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood
Mario has really got to step it up..he is stuck on blocks..he has only put his hands on a QB about 7 times out of 70+ plays...I am really hoping he plays well this seaon. With the right technique and the right DL coach he could be a real force. As for Lawson being the best at NCst, heard it right..he was the force that set up everything Mario did....just check out old clips of NCst.
What about the clips where he said teams were afraid to run to Mario's side which helped him make more plays...are we to disregard that ?
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2006   #8
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honch Delgado
You're going to get the "linebackers are supposed to rack up tackles" rebuttal
Well Technically DeMeco is killing Lawson in tackles...Maybe we should have drafted Meco with our #1...

When was the last time YOU saw a DLineman lead the leauge in tackles ?

I won't lie...the two sacks are impressive...but 9 tackles after two games comes to 4.5 tackles a game....Hardly.....Newsworthy....
Old 09-19-2006   #9
Rosewood
Rookie

Quote:
That Mario needs to step his game up......
Old 09-19-2006   #10
real

Quote:
That Mario needs to step his game up......
really ? I could've sworn there were other threads dedicated to that....

But since you weren't the one to make the post I'll charge your response to the game....
Old 09-19-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
doesn't hurt that he's on a team that has 6 sacks over the last two games....

Bryant Young, 9 tackles, 2 sacks......
Marques Douglas... 7 tackles 1 sack......
Brandon Moore, 6 tackles, 1 sack.....

He looks just like what we, and every other NFL team thought he was going to be. A great addition to a talented team.

Mario is supposed to be the Cornerstone that Bryant Young & Douglas is on that team, that allows less talented players like Manny to have big games....
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #12
Rosewood
Rookie

Quote:
really ? I could've sworn there were other threads dedicated to that....

But since you weren't the one to make the post I'll charge your response to the game....
I dont know anything about the other threads, just this one. I agree with the thread starter...Mario is playing like crap with Lawson is playing like a superrookie...charge it to the game or whatever you want but that boy is playing like crap...it could be coaching or it could just be him...i dont know..
Old 09-19-2006   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I tire of all the Reggie Bush statistics at NOLA in comparison to what Mario has (or hasn't done) here in Houston. Apples and Oranges.
But as most of you know, an OLB in a 3-4 is comparable in many ways to a DE in the 4-3. There certainly are differences, but there's similarities too. And one similarity is that each is the edge rusher(s) in the 2 systems.
And it seemed like it would be relavant, maybe even instructive to consider the statistics/production of the these 2 rookies who played the same position at the same time at the same college.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #14
Rosewood
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
doesn't hurt that he's on a team that has 6 sacks over the last two games....

Bryant Young, 9 tackles, 2 sacks......
Marques Douglas... 7 tackles 1 sack......
Brandon Moore, 6 tackles, 1 sack.....

He looks just like what we, and every other NFL team thought he was going to be. A great addition to a talented team.

Mario is supposed to be the Cornerstone that Bryant Young & Douglas is on that team, that allows less talented players like Manny to have big games....
it was the other way around at NCst...Lawson was the force that allowed Mario to shine...
Old 09-19-2006   #15
real

Quote:
I dont know anything about the other threads, just this one. I agree with the thread starter...Mario is playing like crap with Lawson is playing like a superrookie...charge it to the game or whatever you want but that boy is playing like crap...it could be coaching or it could just be him...i dont know..
I can tell that you haven't re-watched the game....I'll be honest...when I re-watched the game film I thought to myself...Mario is a beast...I think when you are watching the game, and you don't see him making a lot of plays it's easy to say..he sucks...he's garbage...BUT...I challenge anyone who knows anything about football to re-watch the game film fousing specifically on Mario and tell me he sucks...Dude hasn't made a bunch of plays yet, but that will come with improved performances from his teamates....He may not be sacking the he!! out of McNabb and Manning(two of the best QB's on two of the best teams in the leauge) BUT, you just sound foolish when you say "he's playing like crap"...he's not....
Old 09-19-2006   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its obvious that Manny has fast twitch muscles .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #17
real

Quote:
I tire of all the Reggie Bush statistics at NOLA in comparison to what Mario has (or hasn't done) here in Houston. Apples and Oranges.
But as most of you know, an OLB in a 3-4 is comparable in many ways to a DE in the 4-3. There certainly are differences, but there's similarities too. And one similarity is that each is the edge rusher(s) in the 2 systems.
And it seemed like it would be relavant, maybe even instructive to consider the statistics/production of the these 2 rookies who played the same position at the same time at the same college.
What does one players stats have to do with how good or bad another player is??? I don't care if they played right next to eachother...Stats don't determine a players talent...That would mean Meco is a better MLB than Ray Lewis, Zach Thomas...I don't even have to name anymore...That would mean D.Carr is darn near the best QB in the leauge.....Lets talk football...If you want to talk numbers save it for an accountant...
Old 09-19-2006   #18
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
Old 09-19-2006   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can tell that you haven't re-watched the game....I'll be honest...when I re-watched the game film I thought to myself...Mario is a beast...I think when you are watching the game, and you don't see him making a lot of plays it's easy to say..he sucks...he's garbage...BUT...I challenge anyone who knows anything about football to re-watch the game film fousing specifically on Mario and tell me he sucks...Dude hasn't made a bunch of plays yet, but that will come with improved performances from his teamates....He may not be sacking the he!! out of McNabb and Manning(two of the best QB's on two of the best teams in the leauge) BUT, you just sound foolish when you say "he's playing like crap"...he's not....
I watched my first HoustonTexans game at Reliant on openingday. I was syked about this season, just like many fans. a big part of that was Kubiak, and a big part of that was Mario.

At the end of the game, I was like...... hmpf......

Then I've got a 1.5 hour drive home, so I'm listening to 610,and all these guys talking about how Mario Sucked. The Host was like, "don't give me this he was doubled crap, he wasn't doubled"

So by the time I got home, I was furious, and disappointed in Mario.

Then I broke out my Tivo the following Monday.

I missed the first Monday Night football game, because I was rewatching that game....

& you're right, Mario is a beast..... his speed, is all that...... his power is the bag of chips....

Now, if Kubiak can harness all that, and focus it on the QB, there's no doubt that he will be everything we think he might be.

I only wish we had a Strahan, or a Reggie White, Bruce Smith kinda guy to mentor him..... heck, I'd take Joe Johnson, or JohnRandle... Kevin Carter....

I mean....... we've got Kalu??
Old 09-19-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34

Quote:

c'mon........

you got to admit that was a little funny.......

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read