Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2006   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation Texans Defense Discussion

I wanted to see if we could get some tivo watchers in here to break down the tape of zone vs. man, and what scheme we used these past 2 weeks.

I have been seeing alot of zone, and felt like we got gashed alot by both teams when we would fan out in zone.

Pressure. I also would like to know the amount of times we blitz, and normally how many we bring on the blitz.

So lets hear it.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #2
real

It's hard to tell exactly what kind of defense they run all the time just because of viewing angles...But IMO it doesn't matter...We may not be able to see exactly what defense their in, but we can see that our DB's suck...all of them...
Old 09-19-2006   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
...but we can see that our DB's suck...all of them...
Well I really didnt want to get into a debate of how good, or bad our secondary is. But I will say this. CC Brown needs to step up his game. I thought he was going to be better than this, this year.

But then again, he is a young player, who should only get better, and as I stated in another draft thread, he needs to bring his A game, or we will be drafting his position in round 1-2 next year.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #4
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario
... or we will be drafting his position in round 1-2 next year.
I think we'll be doing that regardless...

But Coverages....Our linebackers and safeties aren't good enough to be successful in zone and our cornerbacks are too sorry to man up....What is one to do ?

The few times that they have showed an angle to allow us to see whats going on in the secondary...I noticed on zone plays our guys just lack the instincts, and football knowldge to play it right...In a zone defense you have to know what zone you have and who is playing what zone around you...Our guys seem to do a poor job at this...When you are playing zone it takes a lot of judgement on the players part...The player has to have a feel for recievers entering and leaving their zone...You can't abandon your zone...when a reciever is in your zone you have to keep yourself in a position to make a play on the ball and at the same time make sure you aren't focusing too much on that reciever because another one may enter your zone, so you have to be able to prioritize basically...There is always going to be a hole in the zone somewhere and what makes Peyton so good is that he knows coverages and can recognize what type of zone the defense is running and know exactly where the holes will be...and he most of the time he determines this with a pre-snap read.....But like I said our defenders just lack the experience and feel for it...Passes over the middle is what kills me about our zone...No way should the middle of the field be open in any zone...Meco needs to get better at zoning in the middle...he should own that...He will in time...But I don't know if thats what you were asking for or not..but thats my
Old 09-19-2006   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

CC Brown has been given ample opportunity to step up his game. He had last year, a full training camp as the starter and now he just sucks.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #6
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think our defense hasn't been given the chance to even try finding their identity yet. I mean both these games we've come out with different gameplans. There is no identity yet we've let our opponents dictate how our defense plays instead of trying to let our guys impose their will on the game. With McNabb we played alot of contain, which may have been a mistake, because honestly I would have rather he rushed for fifty than pick us apart for 400 not saying that's how it happened, but all that time back there I think we would have done better rushing him. Then with Manning I've heard we played mostly in nickel and dime packages so Orr wasn't even out there for most of the game. Nothing wrong with that. Oh wait I fogot we let them get the running game going against us. Hopefully this won't be the case against the Redskins. I can't stomach re-watching the games right now, maybe later, but I just can't bring myself to re-watch them yet. We need to let our guys do their thing. Your never gonna completely stop another team so you might as well take chances and at least see what you got.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #7
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
Your never gonna completely stop another team so you might as well take chances and at least see what you got.
What do you mean by "completely stop" ??
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2006   #8
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
What do you mean by "completely stop" ??
I meant completely stop. As in 0 yds. What else would completely stop mean?
Old 09-19-2006   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
I meant completely stop. As in 0 yds. What else would completely stop mean?
1) you don't have to be a smart *****

2) It wouldn't be too far fetched for someone to think you meant no touchdowns...

3) You stated the obvious

4) Either way what you said made no sense...goodbye
Old 09-19-2006   #10
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Quote:
1) you don't have to be a smart *****

2) It wouldn't be too far fetched for someone to think you meant no touchdowns...

3) You stated the obvious
Sorry...... I think.
Old 09-23-2006   #11
HOOK'EM
Veteran

Yes, we need help!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006   #12
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

from what little i've noticed (just started disecting indy game earlier today), we've been running a lot of a basic cover 2. that's all fine and good but 2 things are killing us, crossing routes and play action. our linebackers are our biggest weakness in coverage at this point because they're regularly out of position and chasing receivers (and our safeties are biting on play action). i dont expect everything to "click" in the immediate future because a zone like this requires time together and knowing where your teammates are/will be so that you can disengage a receiver as the next man picks him up. that being said, manning picks apart everything except for the most covert of zone blitzing, something we're not even close to. we did pretty well against the run versus indy (mario looked real good IMO), but until they get more familiar with eachother and the schemes in the secondary, i'd like to see a lot more man coverage.
Old 09-23-2006   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
from what little i've noticed (just started disecting indy game earlier today), we've been running a lot of a basic cover 2. that's all fine and good but 2 things are killing us, crossing routes and play action. our linebackers are our biggest weakness in coverage at this point because they're regularly out of position and chasing receivers (and our safeties are biting on play action). i dont expect everything to "click" in the immediate future because a zone like this requires time together and knowing where your teammates are/will be so that you can disengage a receiver as the next man picks him up. that being said, manning picks apart everything except for the most covert of zone blitzing, something we're not even close to. we did pretty well against the run versus indy (mario looked real good IMO), but until they get more familiar with eachother and the schemes in the secondary, i'd like to see a lot more man coverage.
I think we would be good to play alot of cover 2. I love the cover 2 defense. Only problem is that it puts alot of pressure on the safeties. If you have good safeties the cover 2 is a great defense.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006   #14
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

I just thought I would throw this in here. I'm to lazy to start another thread right now, so here goes nothing. Everyone talking about how we look like last yrs. team really need to get everything into perspective. Last yrs. team didn't have a takeaway until week 6. This yr. we've already had a few takeaways. Plus one int. that was taken back due to stupity. However my point is while we may not be happy with where the defense is at right now. It is improving and has done better this yr. than last yr. If you watch the Colt's game we didn't make as many huge mistakes as in the Philly game, where they threw behind all our guys to wide open receivers. This game we gave up alot of plays, but they were not over us. We left areas open, but I feel our coverages showed slight improvement. They should get better after being embarrassed like they were and this week should have something to prove.
Old 09-23-2006   #15
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
CC Brown has been given ample opportunity to step up his game. He had last year, a full training camp as the starter and now he just sucks.
yeah he looked pathetic last week. mental mistakes and breakdowns in coverage...and of course, looking extremely bad on the mcnabb playfake to stallworth.

on the other hand, glenn earl has been impressive.
Old 09-23-2006   #16
BlueThunder
Veteran

Our defense is going to have to contain the line of schemage so our LBers can play more in coverage..Our MLB is a rookie and whos calling the offense?

We have green DEs green DTs and or safetys i'm not even sure...I'm going to start filming the games so I have a better idea what the problem is.I'm just afraid that what I thought would be the problems are.If thats the case your not fixing everything.

The place I would start is the front line..The trenches are where it all starts!

Thats the whole reason I wanted atleast one vet 43 DE and possibly 2..

The whole problem is the coaching staff.There going to hold on to that 34 till it kills them or they get ran out of town.They've been sitting around here losing so long they think it will fly..I would have added as many vet 43 players as I could get to start a new system.They know how challenging this league is to win in and most of the 43 players would have only been stop gap.To start any system you need atleast 6 defender that know the system or it ain't going to hold.Even then it may not even hold if you don't have the coaches that can take the other players under there wing and prepare them.

Can we talk about Reggie Bush,it's a lot less stressful..

Last edited by BlueThunder; 09-24-2006 at 12:13 AM.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder View Post
Our defense is going to have to contain the line of schemage so our LBers can play more in coverage..Our MLB is a rookie and whos calling the offense?
That's what Kubiak said we were going to do, and everybody had a cow. They said we need to put pressure on the QB so our Secondary can have big games.

I think we have gotten decent pressure in both games, but our Secondary can't cover for 2 seconds. For anyone to think we'll get to Manning or McNabb regularly under 2 seconds is insane. & to think pressure will equal a sack on these two is out there as well.

Sure, if we were SanDiego, or Pittsburgh.... we'd have more sacks against Indy. But we aren't. Moving to a 4-3, we never will be either. Let's see how well Jacksonville does tomorrow. I doubt they sack Peyton more than twice.
Quote:
We have green DEs green DTs and or safetys i'm not even sure...I'm going to start filming the games so I have a better idea what the problem is.I'm just afraid that what I thought would be the problems are.If thats the case your not fixing everything.
Our problem is our linebackers, and our zone coverage scheme. I don't think it's clicking for our guys just yet. But they've all come up short. LBs, & DBs.... I think the strenght of our defense right now is our DL. If you are amoung the group that thinks we aren't getting pressure, then you are in for a long season.

With all that said, the competition we've faced till now, have made their name in being able to handle pressure. No one beats a blitz like Peyton Manning. Only the Elite Defenses can shake him. & very few QBs are as elusive as Donovan McNabb.

Compare our Defensive stats to the Giants. We've both played Indy & Philly. I think we look about the same.
Quote:
The place I would start is the front line..The trenches are where it all starts!

Thats the whole reason I wanted atleast one vet 43 DE and possibly 2..
We do have at least one veteren 4-3 DE... & a veteran 4-3 LB.
Quote:
The whole problem is the coaching staff.There going to hold on to that 34 till it kills them or they get ran out of town.They've been sitting around here losing so long they think it will fly..
We run a 4-3, and these coaches haven't been loosing..... well, other than the last two games, they haven't been loosing here.
Quote:
I would have added as many vet 43 players as I could get to start a new system.They know how challenging this league is to win in and most of the 43 players would have only been stop gap.To start any system you need atleast 6 defender that know the system or it ain't going to hold.Even then it may not even hold if you don't have the coaches that can take the other players under there wing and prepare them.
It's supposed to be relatively easy going from the 3-4 to the 4-3. All of our players should be familiar with it, since they have all played it as recently as college.

& they are all young enough to remember college..... which is both good and bad.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #18
BlueThunder
Veteran

I have no choice but to except failure!
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense is in deep kemshee. Going to be a long season if they can't pull it together. Offense is just fair, but could win a couple if the defense could hold water.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006   #20
Texan1
Veteran

If we can't stop the run - why worry about the seconday?
Texan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read