Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2006   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The official start Jason Babin and Drew Hodgdon thread

I want Babin to start because IMO he has earned it. Two games in and he has gotten closer to the QB than anyone on the team.

I feel that with Babin starting, a very hungry Peek comes off the bench and plays like he has something to prove.

I also want Hodgdon to play center because he is a real center and not a guard playing center. I think if we put Mckinney at center we might as well put DC on IR because that pass rush is going to come through the middle with a passion.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #2
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I thought Drew looked good when he got to play before getting injured last year, and I'd like to see him get another shot if Flanagan can't go.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #3
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I think if we put Mckinney at center we might as well put DC on IR because that pass rush is going to come through the middle with a passion.
He won't be any worse than Flannagan...
Old 09-19-2006   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point in time, center is really not that much of an area of concern. I'm seriously worried about Salaam at LT. I've heard nothing good about him playing LT. If he doesn't prove me wrong, you Carr bashers might not have to worry anymore.:brickwall
Old 09-19-2006   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

So here is our starting potential Dl
Babin - DE
Peek - DE
Weaver - DE/DT
Williams - DE
Payne - DT
Johnson - DT

I don't see why that can't be a pretty good rotation?
Old 09-19-2006   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I understand though, Salaam played way better in Denver under the system and this year Kubiak wanted to get his boys in as rookies to get them going and that way the rebuilding process could be sped up a little.

I'm willing to wait and see what Salaam can do here before I hear what he did in Jville.

Will he be a wall, I don't think so but he could be a guy that picks up where Spencer left off.
Old 09-19-2006   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I noticed Babin all over the field Sunday. I saw him playing what looked like a traditional "elephant" linebacker. An elephant is a hybrid player that gives you a 4 linebacker look or a 4 lineman look depending on the call. I think he may evolve to being used like how the Patriots used Willie McGinest as an elephant and it was easy to shift in and out of 4 and 3 man looks when he was with them.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2006   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
From what I understand though, Salaam played way better in Denver under the system and this year Kubiak wanted to get his boys in as rookies to get them going and that way the rebuilding process could be sped up a little.

I'm willing to wait and see what Salaam can do here before I hear what he did in Jville.

Will he be a wall, I don't think so but he could be a guy that picks up where Spencer left off.
I also think that Salaam won't look like the player that he was in Jacksonville. I don't know that he'll have us all wanting him to start but I think he'll look better than the Jags fans would have us believe. Denver looks for different things in their linemen than most teams so I could see him being productive in our offense.

We should know better than anyone how this works. You take a guy from one system and put him in another that doesn't suit his skills and he becomes a bum. Todd Wade for instance is coming to town with the Redskins but he got sent packing here. Before signing with us he was a solid starting RT in this league. He was a good fit in Miami and bad fit here. Ron Dayne seems to be productive in the Denver scheme but in New York he was a bust.
Old 09-19-2006   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I noticed Babin all over the field Sunday. I saw him playing what looked like a traditional "elephant" linebacker. An elephant is a hybrid player that gives you a 4 linebacker look or a 4 lineman look depending on the call. I think he may evolve to being used like how the Patriots used Willie McGinest as an elephant and it was easy to shift in and out of 4 and 3 man looks when he was with them.
hmm. I thought you were talking about that Gut Babin is sporting.

But we used Charlie Anderson the same way in the preseason........

But anywho...... I do believe Babin is our best DE right now...... not only getting after the QB, but chasing down the play, regardless where it is on the field.... he just doesn't stop.

But anyway, I believe Babin started against the Colts, and took more snaps than any othe lineman.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #10
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i thought that salaam did a real good job taking over spencer last week
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

From the time Babin came back from his shoulder injury/benching last season through the first two games this season, I like what Babin has done. The guy has always had a motor, but the mental part of LB evidently messed with him that early in his career. As long as he continues putting forth this kind of effort, I am fully behind him being the undisputed starter.

I know for sure I am seeing way too much of #96 Thomas Johnson. Travis has shown improvement, however.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I also think that Salaam won't look like the player that he was in Jacksonville. I don't know that he'll have us all wanting him to start but I think he'll look better than the Jags fans would have us believe. Denver looks for different things in their linemen than most teams so I could see him being productive in our offense.

We should know better than anyone how this works. You take a guy from one system and put him in another that doesn't suit his skills and he becomes a bum. Todd Wade for instance is coming to town with the Redskins but he got sent packing here. Before signing with us he was a solid starting RT in this league. He was a good fit in Miami and bad fit here. Ron Dayne seems to be productive in the Denver scheme but in New York he was a bust.
Problem is, that right now we are more GreenBay than Denver....... maybe that would change, with Salaam at LT........
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Vinny, if you or anyone else doesn't mind, could someone just give me a quick rundown on Babin's performance against the Colts? I missed almost the entire game.
Old 09-19-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

I didn't get to see the sack but I heard it was a pretty good one on Manning.

To be honest, I can't recall any of our lineman getting a real good piece of Manning in our short existence.

I just want the guy that has been showing stuff to play. Kubiak said he would do that and I think this is one of those kind of choices.
Old 09-19-2006   #15
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Vinny, if you or anyone else doesn't mind, could someone just give me a quick rundown on Babin's performance against the Colts? I missed almost the entire game.
I was at the game in person, and from what I saw Babin did nothing spectacular. He had one great play where he got the sack. Many other plays he was either being pancaked or was out of position. The first half they ran at him the entire time and he didnt make a tackle on any of those plays. He has potential but he still has not shown it in my opinion. He was not really all over the place until after the tackle was made by someone else. To me the Dline looked pretty bad this week all across the board. Weaver finally had a few plays, but that was from DT since they played the nickle the whole game. Mario to me still isnt showing his speed potential. Peek pulled a groin so he didnt play the second half but in quarter two he had three great plays in a row (a qb hit, would be sack but they called a hold on his man, and then he had a tackle). He still also has a lot to show this season.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #16
66cobra
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatikid
I was at the game in person, and from what I saw Babin did nothing spectacular. He had one great play where he got the sack. Many other plays he was either being pancaked or was out of position. The first half they ran at him the entire time and he didnt make a tackle on any of those plays. He has potential but he still has not shown it in my opinion. He was not really all over the place until after the tackle was made by someone else. To me the Dline looked pretty bad this week all across the board. Weaver finally had a few plays, but that was from DT since they played the nickle the whole game. Mario to me still isnt showing his speed potential. Peek pulled a groin so he didnt play the second half but in quarter two he had three great plays in a row (a qb hit, would be sack but they called a hold on his man, and then he had a tackle). He still also has a lot to show this season.
Well, I am pretty sure that your avatar shows who you support more, anyways.

I think Babin has done more to show what he can do by being versatile (i.e. "elephant" linebacker as Vinny said) while Peek is just a situational player as in being a pass rusher. I don't think Peek could tackle a running back unless the back ran straight into him. Babin is a little more well rounded, meaning he can rush the passer and stop the run.
66cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

[quote=66cobra]/QUOTE]
66cobra

I think we need to have a talk with Putzier or maybe we could be jinxing him. We both have him as our adopted Texan.
Old 09-19-2006   #18
66cobra
Veteran

Yeah, I know... what's up with that? It seems like Putzier makes the tough catch whenever Dave (Carr) throws to him.... Maybe we need to talk to Carr about Putzier. (This is not a hate Carr post; I just want the Putz to do well.)
66cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #19
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66cobra
Well, I am pretty sure that your avatar shows who you support more, anyways.

I think Babin has done more to show what he can do by being versatile (i.e. "elephant" linebacker as Vinny said) while Peek is just a situational player as in being a pass rusher. I don't think Peek could tackle a running back unless the back ran straight into him. Babin is a little more well rounded, meaning he can rush the passer and stop the run.

Im pretty sure I said that they both need to improve and that they both have potential. Maybe i mixed up my own words but im pretty sure thats what i said. So far I do not think either of them have played particularly well. Peek is for sure a pass rusher, but I do not think that Babin has "shown" so far that he is superior in other facets of the game. If you watch the first half of the Colts game he got dominated in the run game. I do not think my avitar had anything to do with any of those comments.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #20
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Babin has earned a spot on the field full time as well. He has shown his motor and determination to get after the opposing offense, time and time again, even when it's not effective. As far as Drew goes, I think it's worth a shot I guess. I know Flannigan has experience and I think that he and Carr will be fine with a little more time though. The guy has played with Favre and did just fine up north so I don't see any reason why he won't be able to perform well here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read