Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2006   #1
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting defensive fact......

Heard this fact this morning on 610 on the drive into work. OK, we have the 32nd ranked defense, but who have we played? We played the Eagles and the Colts, top tier talent in the league. Who has the 31st ranked defense? Give up........ the Giants. What do we have in common with them? We both have played the Eagles & the Colts for our first two games. Yes, I know the giants pulled out a last second W against the Eagles, but they are further along than we are at this stage. The Giants D is a good system and if these two teams have made them look that bad statistically, then maybe we aren't as horrendous as we have appeared these last two weeks. Keep your heads up guys, it can only go up from here and I have faith it will.
Old 09-19-2006   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Good post. I'm glad to hear another angle besides "we suck just because."
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #3
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635
Heard this fact this morning on 610 on the drive into work. OK, we have the 32nd ranked defense, but who have we played? We played the Eagles and the Colts, top tier talent in the league. Who has the 31st ranked defense? Give up........ the Giants. What do we have in common with them? We both have played the Eagles & the Colts for our first two games. Yes, I know the giants pulled out a last second W against the Eagles, but they are further along than we are at this stage. The Giants D is a good system and if these two teams have made them look that bad statistically, then maybe we aren't as horrendous as we have appeared these last two weeks. Keep your heads up guys, it can only go up from here and I have faith it will.
you must be a glass is half full kinda guy, me too. Do you know waht the break down is in terms of defence rankings v pass and v run?

My guess is we're middle of the pack against the run but dead last against the pass. 700 yards against too pass happy teams.......
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #4
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull
Good post. I'm glad to hear another angle besides "we suck just because."

Thanks man, just trying to stay positive and look for something we can build off of. We still have 14 more games to go and I think we won't look near as out of position as we have. Those two teams can make anyone look bad.
Old 09-19-2006   #5
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian
you must be a glass is half full kinda guy, me too. Do you know waht the break down is in terms of defence rankings v pass and v run?

My guess is we're middle of the pack against the run but dead last against the pass. 700 yards against too pass happy teams.......

No, I don't have that stat yet, but I'll try to pull it up somewhere when I get some time. I would think we are middle of the pack too against the run and I agree with you on the passing yards as well.
Old 09-19-2006   #6
real

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...r?sort_col_1=4

You might want to check again...We're last....BUT the Giants are not second to last....
Old 09-19-2006   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx

You might want to check again...We're last....BUT the Giants are not second to last....
Only thing I found was that we are last in pass defense and the Giants are second to last in pass defense.
Old 09-19-2006   #8
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:

Yeah, I see that. Hmmm, like I said I heard that on 610 this morning from the broadcasters. Still, those stats would have them at 29th and I know that their defense is still better than what it shows on that spreadsheet. Their numbers aren't much better than ours and I would bet that if we didn't play the top 2 passing teams that we wouldn't be near the bottom of that list, probably middle of the list at worst.
Old 09-19-2006   #9
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wow, what really stands out is that we are allowing a 68% conversion rate on 3rd down. OUCH
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #10
real

Here's an interesting fact:

I don't know if you knew this but...If you have the means go back and watch the Colts game...Mario would have had his first sack when Manning slid down, but he jumped over him and greenwood came in and touched him and got credit for the sack...Rookie Mistake...

1-10-IND18 (14:55) (Shotgun) P.Manning sacked at IND 18 for 0 yards (M.Greenwood).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...060917_HOU@IND
Old 09-19-2006   #11
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebleminded
Wow, what really stands out is that we are allowing a 68% conversion rate on 3rd down. OUCH

Yeah, I see all of those stats and all you can do is try to chalk it up to great teams that had our number! Hopefully this week against the Redskins we will look more like the team we had this preseason and get after them in a huge way. We have to keep looking forward and get some steam in this machine......:bananasplit:
Old 09-19-2006   #12
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Here's an interesting fact:

I don't know if you knew this but...If you have the means go back and watch the Colts game...Mario would have had his first sack when Manning slid down, but he jumped over him and greenwood came in and touched him and got credit for the sack...Rookie Mistake...

1-10-IND18 (14:55) (Shotgun) P.Manning sacked at IND 18 for 0 yards (M.Greenwood).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...060917_HOU@IND

Nice find XTR, I didn't notice that in the game and I never rewatched it.....too painful.
Old 09-19-2006   #13
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

How long does it take to make you move up statistically? I ask that because if we play great these next two games (which I think we will because we now have something to prove to ourselves as a team, moreso than to anyone else) and we don't allow a lot of yards against two struggling offenses, can we be middle of the pack after week 4 going into the bye? I know it depends a lot on other teams play, just curious about the stat column though. In all seriousness though, I would take dead last in all columns if we still end up with 8-8 or 7-9.
Old 09-19-2006   #14
NJ Texan
Rookie

I'm excited about the Washington game because I might actually have a chance to watch it.
NJ Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
If it weren't for your avatar, I'd look forward to your posts......
Great post though.

But you make it soundlike we didn't have a chance in the Philly game.. we were 4 yards away from Carr putting the team on his shoulders, and winning us that game.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #16
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
If it weren't for your avatar, I'd look forward to your posts......
Great post though.

But you make it soundlike we didn't have a chance in the Philly game.. we were 4 yards away from Carr putting the team on his shoulders, and winning us that game.

You don't like my avatar? lol.. I'll see what I can do about that. No, I seriously thought we had a chance in the Philly game, it just didn't turn out that way in the end. I had a feeling we would be 0-2 in my gut and if we weren't it would just be icing on the cake. It's not so much that we lost, it's the way we lost both games that I feel may hamper the defensive moral on this team. They have 2 options at this point, they can go out their with a chip on their shoulder and show everyone that they are not as bad as the stats show or they can walk around with their heads down and wait for next season. I prefer option #1, we are only 2 games into the season and anything can happen.
Old 09-19-2006   #17
real

Quote:
Nice find XTR, I didn't notice that in the game and I never rewatched it.....too painful.
Im pretty sure that it was pointed out to him when watching the film...I can almost gaurantee a sack vs. the redskins......After knowing how close he was to having his first sack, and what could have been....I know he is going to come out like all hell on wheels....

And I was listening to the radio yesterday, and the D-line played differently against the Eagles...They were trying to stay in their lanes to make sure McNabb didn't scramble...thats why they weren't rushing as hard as they did in the Colts game...but some of you probably already knew that...
Old 09-19-2006   #18
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Im pretty sure that it was pointed out to him when watching the film...I can almost gaurantee a sack vs. the redskins......After knowing how close he was to having his first sack, and what could have been....I know he is going to come out like all hell on wheels....

And I was listening to the radio yesterday, and the D-line played differently against the Eagles...They were trying to stay in their lanes to make sure McNabb didn't scramble...thats why they weren't rushing as hard as they did in the Colts game...but some of you probably already knew that...

Yeah, I had heard that after the game. It did work, McNabb didn't have many rushing yards that game at all IIRC.
Old 09-19-2006   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I had heard that after the game. It did work, McNabb didn't have many rushing yards that game at all IIRC.
Considering he was very rarely pressured. Why would he even attempt to run? He was nice and comfy sitting in the pocket going through every one of his progressions. I'm still waiting for the improvement on the defensive side of the ball. I think we've got the talent on the front seven. I guess it's a matter of learning to work together.
Old 09-19-2006   #20
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
Considering he was very rarely pressured. Why would he even attempt to run? He was nice and comfy sitting in the pocket going through every one of his progressions. I'm still waiting for the improvement on the defensive side of the ball. I think we've got the talent on the front seven. I guess it's a matter of learning to work together.

I don't know about that. There were times where he had to throw the ball away IIRC, and normally he would have tried to scramble. Either way, the outcome was still the same whether we stayed home to spy or if we brought the house on the blitz. They had our number and new how to pick us apart. But, I do remember hearing our coaches say that they were trying to get pressure with the D-line only and until they can get that pressure then they were not going to start really bringing the blitz. I am assuming that they want to see what the players are made up of on their own and if you think about it, it does make sense in a way. When you bring a blitz, you want your D-line to tie up their O-line leaving free space for your line backers to run through and get to the QB. Now if our line can't tie up theirs and we bring the heat, we now have less help in the secondary than we would have if we had dropped that line backer into coverage. It's a gamble that pays off sometimes and bites you in the butt the other.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read