Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-20-2004   #1
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Julius Jones

Julius Jones is out for probably the next 2 months with a broken shoulder.

Ouch.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #2
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Ain't that abouta b****?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #3
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 40182 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

That wasn't the kind of news I wanted to hear on a Monday morning. I guess ReShard Lee will get more time as an RB.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #4
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

The Cowboys had a lousy draft with this happening. He's out and the OL guy is out for the year. Lousy.
Old 09-21-2004   #5
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Did Houston have a lousy draft in '02 because of Carr's rookie numbers?
Old 09-21-2004   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
The Cowboys had a lousy draft with this happening. He's out and the OL guy is out for the year. Lousy.
I wouldn't say they had a lousy draft quite yet. Injuries can happen to any draft pick at any given time. Besides that ignores the 1st round pick they got from the Bills. They way Buffalo is going it could be a very high pick.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

I'd love to know what rookie they drafted that is making an impact this year...the Texans drafted Babin and Robinson and they're both playing. I don't see that with the Cowboys. Jones is out, the offensive lineman is out from USC and who else is there? I'm not up on all that but it seems from my vantage point that they right now are getting nothing out of this draft for the year.
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2004   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default bummer

serious, HUGE and all Cowboy fans I'm sorry to hear the bad news. I was really looking forward to tracking his numbers & success. Kinda puts a damper on the Steven Jackson vs. Julius Jones debate. One positive note I got to see a little College ball over the weekend and I really liked that back from Auburn, Cadillac Williams he reminds me alot of Curtis Martin, and I think we all know Parcells loves Martin & that Martin is currently still tearing it up in NY.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am still wondering why Dallas traded down and passed up the chance to draft one of the other RB's that went before Jones...
Old 09-21-2004   #10
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I am still wondering why Dallas traded down and passed up the chance to draft one of the other RB's that went before Jones...
They got an extra first round pick for this year from the Bills and they probably figured that with the Patriots, Jets, and the Dolphins with Ricky Williams in the division the Bills wont have that great of a record and it might be a really high one...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #11
WWJD
Hall of Fame

The extra pick from Buffalo may turn out to be the smartest thing the Cowboys did the entire draft.
Old 09-21-2004   #12
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
I'd love to know what rookie they drafted that is making an impact this year...the Texans drafted Babin and Robinson and they're both playing. I don't see that with the Cowboys. Jones is out, the offensive lineman is out from USC and who else is there? I'm not up on all that but it seems from my vantage point that they right now are getting nothing out of this draft for the year.
Robinson and Babin were both first round draft picks that are filling "need" positions. Does Dallas have any players from that draft that fit this description? Most thought Jones was expected to take over the starting role as a 2nd rounder but then we signed Eddie George. So his (as our other draft picks) role became one of depth.

So if you compare the rest of our draft to yours...

Dallas:

Jacob Rogers - 2nd Round - Back-up RT.
Stephen Peterman - 3rd Round - (When healthy) Back-up OG.
Bruce Thornton - 4th Round - Secondary depth.
Sean Ryan - 5th Round - Cut.
Nathan Jones - 7th Round - Secondary depth.
Patrick Crayton - 7th Round - Listed on WR depth chart but does return duties.
Jacques Reeves - 7th Round - Secondary depth.

Houston:

Glenn Earl - 4th Round - I see he's made 1 tackle so far.
Vontez Duff - 6th Round - Is he even on the team?
Jammal Lord - 6th Round - Is he on the team?
Charlie Anderson - 6th Round - I see he's made 1 tackle so far.
Raheem Orr - 7th Round - Is he on the team?
Sloan Thomas - 7th Round - Practice Squad.
BJ Symons - 7th Round - Practice Squad or cut?

Is our's really so lousy?
Old 09-22-2004   #13
WWJD
Hall of Fame

I still think many teams had a much better draft than the Cowboys including the Texans. Depth is fine, needed and I understand all that but we'll wait and see how JJ works out. Right now his rookie year is a diaster with the injury and all.

I'll always believe Jimmy Johnson was the best draft day man the Cowboys had. Jerry stinks at it and I'm not real impressed with Bill either. But we'll agree to disagree and I'll leave it at that.
Old 09-22-2004   #14
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The extra pick from Buffalo may turn out to be the smartest thing the Cowboys did the entire draft.
It's not going to help them this year with their RB situation.
Old 09-23-2004   #15
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Unfortunate for JJ with the rib problems, but I think Dallas will do fine with George and especially Lee. George hasnt been doing that bad so far after 2 weeks

Dallas Cowboys- 5 Time World Champions
HowBoutThemCowboys! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBoutThemCowboys!
George hasnt been doing that bad so far after 2 weeks
Well if you are looking in the category of continuing declining stats, I guess not:

Eddie George 3.3 ypc
Troy Hambrick 3.5 ypc
Emmitt Smith 3.8 ypc

Each in their current or last year with the Cowboys. Man, with that kind of progress in 4-5 years you might actually manage to get a RB that goes backwards. Explain again to me why it was smart to get rid of Emmitt (because JJ wouldn't offer above vet. minimum) and smart to sign Eddie (for $4 mil)?
Old 09-24-2004   #17
Huge
Hall of Fame

$2.2 million ($660,000 base + $1.54 million bonus). But I've already stated my opinion of George coming to Dallas in the other thread (against it).

As for Emmitt, several teams offered him the vet. minimum. Yet he signed with Arizona for a fat contract. Do you think he would've re-signed with Dallas had they offered a bit more than the vet. minimum? I don't. And at that point, it made no sense to re-sign him for anything more.
Old 09-24-2004   #18
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

Rep Power: 30 HowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performerHowBoutThemCowboys! is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
$2.2 million ($660,000 base + $1.54 million bonus). But I've already stated my opinion of George coming to Dallas in the other thread (against it).

As for Emmitt, several teams offered him the vet. minimum. Yet he signed with Arizona for a fat contract. Do you think he would've re-signed with Dallas had they offered a bit more than the vet. minimum? I don't. And at that point, it made no sense to re-sign him for anything more.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 12-06-2004   #19
HowBoutThemCowboys!
All Pro

We have him now!! 198 baby.

Old 12-07-2004   #20
Huge
Hall of Fame

Julius Jones - 98 carries, 445 yards (4.5 avg) 5 TDs
Steven Jackson - 100 carries, 496 yards (5.0 avg), 2 TDs

And we got a 1st round pick. I'll take it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read