Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-12-2004   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
I agree. The only WR position that will be fought for is 4th position WR.
We actually carried 5 players as WR's last year--AJ, Bradford, Gaffney, Armstrong & JJ. The fifth spot is where the real fight will be. Armstrong looked good in his limited exposure last year, showed very well evidently in Canada and reports have been the Texans like him. Not saying he is untouchable, but look for JJ's spot to be the big fight.
Old 05-12-2004   #22
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
We actually carried 5 players as WR's last year--AJ, Bradford, Gaffney, Armstrong & JJ. The fifth spot is where the real fight will be. Armstrong looked good in his limited exposure last year, showed very well evidently in Canada and reports have been the Texans like him. Not saying he is untouchable, but look for JJ's spot to be the big fight.
The fight will be for the number four and five receiver. But you could see one or two of the young prospects on the practice squad or IR.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #23
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Who would yall put on the practice squad? As far as receivers go. Armstrong impressed me against the Titans.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #24
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

#1 Andre Johnson #2 Cory Bradford #3 Jabar Gaffney #4 Sloan Thomas #5 Terry Charles &
Old 05-12-2004   #25
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH
#1 Andre Johnson #2 Cory Bradford #3 Jabar Gaffney #4 Sloan Thomas #5 Terry Charles &
Gaff has to be #2 for this to be a successful season for him

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Gaff has to be #2 for this to be a successful season for him
The definition of success for Gaffney and Bradford will not be what # they have on the depth chart, but how productive they are--I would like to see the two of them average 7-800 yds a piece.

With AJ at 1100, Gaff and Bradford at 700 each and DD and the TE's combining for 700 yds, you have a top half of the league passing game--obviously more would be better, but that seems like an achievable goal.
Old 05-12-2004   #27
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
The definition of success for Gaffney and Bradford will not be what # they have on the depth chart, but how productive they are--I would like to see the two of them average 7-800 yds a piece.
I thought you guys meant you would be the most productive, I was misunderstood, I meant #2 in reciveing. He needs to have atleast 700 yards for this season to be successful. I think he can do it if Carr stays healthy.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2004   #28
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH
Nah...I don't think so...If Terry Charles couldn't make the Chargers roster, I don't think he will make the Texans roster. The Chargers didn't have alot of talent at WR, so if Charles was worth it, they would have kept him. Just my
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004   #29
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Who would yall put on the practice squad? As far as receivers go. Armstrong impressed me against the Titans.
I see it like this

#1 AJ (of Course)
#2 or #3 Bradford or Gaffney (depends on Camp)
#4 Armstrong
#5 Sloan Thomas

on the Practice Squad
Jermaine Lewis
and
Kendrick Starling (I believe both have the most potential)
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004   #30
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't be surprised if one of them is dropped by the team. Shocking thought isn't it. But it just might happen.
What's shocking is that someone would even think that would happen.
Old 05-13-2004   #31
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he means Johnson is in his second year, and jabar his third.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004   #32
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
We currently have a couple of WR's from NFLE coming to camp I think. We also have the rookie WR's and a FA. I would say AJ, Gaf, Bradford, and then whoever impresses the most during camp.
from the roster:

No-------Name-------Height Weight Birthdate Exp
87 Armstrong, Derick--6-2 ---196 1979-04-02 2
85 Bradford, Corey ----6-1 ---197 1975-12-08 7
9 Charles, Terry -------6-3 ---207 1979-07-18 2
16 Dugans, Ron -------6-2 ---206 1977-04-27 4
86 Gaffney, Jabar -----6-1 ---193 1980-12-01 3
17 Johnson, Albert ----5-9 ---190 1977-11-11 1
80 Johnson, Andre ----6-2 ---221 1981-07-11 2
14 Lewis, Jermaine ----6-4 ---209 1979-11-01 1
84 Moses, J.J. ---------5-6 ----178 1979-09-12 2
17 Starling, Kendrick --6-0 ---193 1979-12-27 R
18 Taylor, Chris -------5-10 ---183 1979-04-25 1
19 Thomas, Sloan ------6-1 ---203 1981-12-22 R

Jermaine Lewis is not having a bad time in NFLE. That is 12 recievers. How many will the Texans be able to keep? Quite a few over 6' 0" I wonder is JJ is gone after this camp? This training camp should be most interesting.
I keep hearing that J. Lewis is having a pretty good season in NFLEurope, but nobody even mentions C. Taylor, who is having the best year of any of the Texans in Europe. Here are his stats:

RECEPTIONS......................No.........Yds.... .... Avg.......Lg..........TD
C.Taylor, Ams (HOU)...........24..........299........12.5......2 8t.........3

RUSHING...........................No.........Yds.. ......Avg........Lg.........TD
Taylor, C (HOU)..................2...........41.........20.5 .......23.........0

PUNT RETURNS..........No......FC.........Yds.......Avg. .......Lg..........TD
Taylor, C (HOU).........12......4...........110.......9.2... ......28..........0

KICKOFF RETURNS......No......FC.........Yds.......Avg..... ...Lg..........TD
Taylor, C (HOU).........10......0...........211.......21.1.. ......30..........0
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004   #33
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Hope to see Armstrong climb the charts this season. He looks like a guy who can really make a difference for our team specially if Gaffney and Bradford dissapear for parts of the season.

1. Andre Johnson
2. Jabbar Gaffney
3. Corey Bradford
4. Derrick Armstrong
5. Chris Taylor (Playing well in Europe)
6. Kendrick Starling
7. Sloan Thomas (really excited by his prospects).
Old 05-13-2004   #34
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

The WR position is one of the most competive positions on this ball club this year. Some of the new young receivers may be more talented than some of you think. Bradford has not really had a totally satisfying year with us. Gaffney has come along, but no one has lite up the board with their receptions. I don't think any receiver, other than AJ, has a lock on his position. But don't be surprised if one of the new young bloods steps up and really challenges the vets. Starling has great hands and could challenge. So could Christianson. I think the coaching staff is going to have some real challenges this year and attitude is going to play a big part in those choices. The vets better not take for granted their positions. I think Bradford and Gaffney are going to have to show that they can produce. The last couple of years there weren't really a lot of challengers, but this year is different. If BJ is healthy, then we may see a similar situation at the TE position. We also took an FA for that position. Changing the offensive blocking scheme might indicate they are unhappy with the offensive production. I just think the training camps and preseason games are going to result in some surprise showings. Actually, it would be very good for the ball club. It would indicate we are on the rise and not standing pat.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004   #35
MoBlack
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to MoBlack

look for Gaffney to be gone. dude hasn't shined for the texasn like he did at Florida. Look for BJ to prove somethign and step into the lineup. He is the sleeper for the texans.
Old 05-13-2004   #36
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBlack
look for Gaffney to be gone. dude hasn't shined for the texasn like he did at Florida. Look for BJ to prove somethign and step into the lineup. He is the sleeper for the texans.
Gaff aint getting replaced by BJ saying that he is in Denver I think , Sloan Thomas wont replace him either. I remember reading, I think in PFW whispers, a while ago that although his numbers were down he really improved and the coaches were impressed. Gaff will be a solid number 2 guy.

Old 05-13-2004   #37
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

If Billy Miller and Bennie Joppru are catching more balls this year than it should take some pressure off of the receivers this year. We were wildly inconsistent last year but that's to be expected of a young team. I think our receiving tightends will be the key to our passing game because teams know AJ is a stud so they'll double him up, so it's important for us that Billy Miller and Bennie Joppru catch some balls consistently through out the season for us to have a balanced attack. Don't forget DD coming out of the backfield, he's an excellent receiver, I think people will be mildly surprised when they realize we have all these options in the offense, it's just a matter of putting it together and being consistent.
Old 05-13-2004   #38
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I think its kind of interesting when you look at number of receptions that out of the receivers - Johnson, Bradford, Gaffney, Miller, and Davis - Bradford has the fewest by far at 24. Granted he has yardage and touchdowns, but he really hasn't been big in the receptions numbers. Again, if one of the young newbees shines, I think he's on the cusp. Gaffney has done better, but I don't think he's a certainty.
Old 05-13-2004   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

True Bradford did not have many receptions, BUT he only dropped one pass all season, he just didn't get thrown to very often, and when he did get the ball it was huge--rec. avg. 19.2 yards, long 78, 3 over 40 yards and 4 TD's. Maybe the key is getting him more looks because if he could keep anything close to those results up with more receptions he would take some heat off of AJ.

Blaming a WR for their production whether it be Gaff, Bradford or a WR on any other team, begs the questions did the ball come their way and if not was it because they weren't open? If the answers are yes and yes then blame the WR.
Old 05-13-2004   #40
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

You could also say were the receivers getting open and not being passed to or did they simply not run their routes and get open? Are they effective in running their routes? Was the defense very effective against us? Again, there are obviously a lot of senarios. I just think we will have more competion this year and may be will have the same line up, but may be not. We may find there were some reasons our receivers weren't getting the ball as often as we would like particulary at critical times.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read