Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How should we change our 0ffensive play-calling.
Throw deep to a.j. and moulds way more. then the run will open up. 7 38.89%
run run run that will eventually kick in. 5 27.78%
stick with what we are doing it is so effective. 6 33.33%
fire carr 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2006   #1
amazingandre
All Pro

Default Play calling

week 2 and we still dont use the 2 best players on offense as we should. what do you think should change in our play-calling?
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #2
ronaldod1
Rookie

the first two options would produce nothing but "three and outs."

throwing deep is too low percentage, and the running game is weak.
ronaldod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #3
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the play calling is the biggest problem on the offensive side of the ball.

It looks like small portion of the offense is installed, which why Kubiak called that naked bootleg on the first play.

Kubiak is really stuck. Until he starts calling plays to use the entire part of the field, Carr is going to have protection problems and the running game is going to be tough to get going. Meanwhile, he doesn't have faith in the personnel to execute the plays he wants. I heard last week they had horrible practices leading up to Indy.

But, it seems as though Kubiak just needs to install more of the offense, make the right call, and then see what happens. If someone screws up, then you have something fix.

Bottom line is, defenses know what the Texans offense is going to do.

Doesn't this sound famaliar with Capers? It's time to take the training wheels off...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The playcalling really isn't the issue. Look at teams like the Eagles, Cowboys, Redkins, Bucanneers, Raiders, Vikings, etc. They all have great dep threats, but how often do they just heave it up and hope? Not that often. Maybe once or twice a game.

its a low percentage play, that requires precise route running, a very accurate pass, a lot of ttime in the pocket, and luck that the offensive player is actually the one coming down with the ball.
Old 09-18-2006   #5
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

We may want to consider going no-huddle more often. For some reason Carr does better when he doesn't have a lot of time to over think what he is doing. I was never really a fan of the old Houston Run 'n Shoot, but go with whats working for you.
Old 09-18-2006   #6
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
its a low percentage play, that requires precise route running, a very accurate pass, a lot of ttime in the pocket, and luck that the offensive player is actually the one coming down with the ball.
Well then, I guess you should never throw deep from how you described it. It just isn't worth it.

And if that is the case, then why do we need a QB with a cannon for an arm?

You have to go deep to soften up the secondary. I think Texans have a big problem using the middle (15 to 25 yards downfield) part of the field, which is causing most of these problems. Which is why naked bootleg blew up on the first play.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotCommander
We may want to consider going no-huddle more often. For some reason Carr does better when he doesn't have a lot of time to over think what he is doing. I was never really a fan of the old Houston Run 'n Shoot, but go with whats working for you.
No huddle isn't the run-N-shoot. Dolts use it all the time to keep the defense on their heels. Your right though that Carr seems to get into a much better rythem when he plays faster. Personally, I think the no huddle is good thing for us for the same reason Indy uses it.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2006   #8
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
No huddle isn't the run-N-shoot. Dolts use it all the time to keep the defense on their heels. Your right though that Carr seems to get into a much better rythem when he plays faster. Personally, I think the no huddle is good thing for us for the same reason Indy uses it.

thats not exactly what I ment, but I know its what I said. Just usually Carr is in the gun when he is going no huddle. I don't know a lot about the Run-n-shoot myself I didn't follow the Oilers then. I just knew Moon was in the gun and he was not someone to take lightly =)
Old 09-18-2006   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

played two of the best pass rushing teams in the league so far. That just MAY have had an effect on our offense.

I look forward to seeing how we play the Redskins.

BTW I voted for the run.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
played two of the best pass rushing teams in the league so far. That just MAY have had an effect on our offense.
Noooooo...you think?

Quit inserting logic into threads....it messes with the flow. (j/k!)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read