Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2006   #1
SESupergenius

Default Dunta Robinson

Does anyone still think that Dunta is a #1 cornerback? After 2 games now he's picking up right where he left off last year, getting exposed by elite wide receivers in this league. His excuse last year was that we used the 3-4 and he complained about it, what his excuse this year. Don't get me wrong, he's a good talent, but he needs to be on the defensive right side of the ball and let a bigger corner with good smarts be the #1 guy. So Far Stallworth and Harrison have torched him with T.O. and Chambers coming up.
Old 09-18-2006   #2
Rightnow
Veteran

Giving Dunta the benefit of the doubt I think that his covering skills would dramatically improve if he knew he could rely on the safties. Every corner gets beat now and again, but his job is made doubly tough by having backups starting in the rest of the secondary.

I did notice in yesterdays game he didn't try very hard to tackle people late in the game when it was out of control. I have a feeling he will be leaving for greener pastures when his contract is up. The team will have to be better for that not to happen.
Old 09-18-2006   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Why did he throw his hands up in confusion during that one play?
Old 09-18-2006   #4
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31247 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with both of your posts. He needs help from the safeties, but he needs to play better himself when he's 1 on 1 with the receiver. He has been getting picked on and he's losing the battle. I don't know what schemes are being called for them to run though. This may have something to do with him being out of position on some plays.
Old 09-18-2006   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
He may have been looking for a flag for pushing off during the cut but you do that after the play, not during.

Ses--TO is out 2-4 weeks.
Old 09-18-2006   #6
SESupergenius

T.O should be back when we play Dallas, thats about 4 weeks away.
Old 09-18-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
I thought it was frustration with the safeties, but I'm guessing and eager to change my mind about it.
Old 09-18-2006   #8
real

D-Rob is not a cover corner and probably never will be...IMO he is a small SS...
Old 09-18-2006   #9
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
D-Rob is not a cover corner and probably never will be...IMO he is a small SS...
I completely disagree. I think he has the potential to be an elite cover corner in the NFL.

He has obviously had issues in the 1st two games, but again, I have to agree with the other post that said a lot of it is safety help. If we're playing zone and he has the underneath route and expects safety help over the top and the safety is no where in the picture, it obviously looks like he got beat. When in reality the safety was supposed to be there. How often this is the case is only truly known by our coaching staff.

There is no excuse for the one-on-one match-ups however...he needs to improve. Again, the "one-on-one" match-ups may just seem that way b/c our safety was completely out of play...I don't think that is too far of a stretch after what I've seen from them the 1st two games.
Old 09-18-2006   #10
D-Vizzl
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 D-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballotD-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

In my opinion the safeties are terrible, McCleon was available for a reason, Sanders is decent but needs to be more head strong, and Dunta has no will right now. In his first season and a half he would pursue tackles and try to flatten guys, not anymore.

Also i'm going to throw some blame the way of Richard Smith. I saw us playing cover 2 at times, and each time they threw the ball up the middle. You cannot implement the same defense that your opponent practices against. Lastly, and I hope i'm wrong but, I think we were running the prevent also, so I can't expect much from the front four if we do that, meaning they can't get pressure on the QB and that gives him all day and the recievers have a long time to get open. So when the gameplan changes I can further evaluate Dunta.
Old 09-18-2006   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB
I completely disagree. I think he has the potential to be an elite cover corner in the NFL.
He has obviously had issues in the 1st two games, but again, I have to agree with the other post that said a lot of it is safety help. If we're playing zone and he has the underneath route and expects safety help over the top and the safety is no where in the picture, it obviously looks like he got beat. When in reality the safety was supposed to be there. How often this is the case is only truly known by our coaching staff.
He's not even the best cover corner on our team...and you think he can be an "elite cover corner" ??? D-rob can tackle and he is physical...those are his best attributes.....His coverage leaves a lot to be desired...and he didn't just get beat over the top...D-rob has been beat every way possible in these last two games...across the middle...short routes, the deep ball...you name it, and a reciever has caught it....
Old 09-18-2006   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta was awful yesterday. If you watch the game again and hone in on Robinson, the WR he is covering and Manning you will get sick to your stomach. He was awful in coverage, position and body language. He must rebound and come strong against the Redskins.

I count him as an average cover CB, but a strong tackler to get to SES' statement.
Old 09-18-2006   #13
SESupergenius

I have no problem with his tackling, he's great at that, but his #1 job is cover the receiver. I'd like to see him get the pass protected that corners need, but there is no excuse for WR's to be burning him like they are. He's just not smart enough to be our best corner.
Old 09-18-2006   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Superman would have looked inadequate at corner yesterday for the Texans, given the minimul pressure (and that's generous) our front was putting on
Manning.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Superman would have looked inadequate at corner yesterday for the Texans, given the minimul pressure (and that's generous) our front was putting on
Manning.
So are you saying that our DB's are good???
Old 09-18-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Manning.
Then he ain't Superman and nothing other than an overpaid corner with to much Krypto in his blood.
Old 09-18-2006   #17
real

D-Rob's bad performance can't be blamed on our D-line or our safeties...
Old 09-18-2006   #18
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I thought it was frustration with the safeties, but I'm guessing and eager to change my mind about it.
That was exactly where it was. An emotional outburst. Dunta didn't have his best game by any means. In fact, it was his worse as a Texans from Indy's first TD to their tight end to the 3rd down conversions he was consistantly burned for.
Old 09-18-2006   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
So are you saying that our DB's are good???
I absolutely think that D-Rob is not just good, but a very good NFL corner.
Glen Earl is also a keeper, though certainly not as valuable as D-Rob.
Beyond those 2 we just don't have much in the secondary.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G.
That was exactly where it was. An emotional outburst. Dunta didn't have his best game by any means. In fact, it was his worse as a Texans from Indy's first TD to their tight end to the 3rd down conversions he was consistantly burned for.
Yep and you address it in the huddle or in the sidelines, not when the friggin ball is in the air and then when you are in pursuit. It looked more like freshman football than the NFL. I am not one that normally cares about what others think about the Texans, but that really was embarrasing.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read