Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2006   #1
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Spencer done for the season

Rookie Charles Spencer, a third-round choice who won the starting job in training camp, suffered a fractured left tibia in the third quarter of Sunday's loss at Indianapolis and will be placed on injured reserve, a move that prematurely ends his debut campaign. The injury occurred about six minutes into the third quarter on a running play on which tailback Ron Dayne gained no yards.

"It's really sad," said coach Gary Kubiak. "The kid's going to be a great player. He needed this year. Now he's going to have to sit back and watch."
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #2
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Wow...that hurts... he wasn't very mobile...so as much as Id hate to say it...maybe a smaller guy out there might help out our zone blocking scheme.
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #3
tburdette
Rookie

I was at the game and made a point to watch Spencer and I thought he did a very good job. Or at least when I was watching him he did. This is going to hurt his development which really sucks for us.
tburdette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #4
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42
Wow...that hurts... he wasn't very mobile...so as much as Id hate to say it...maybe a smaller guy out there might help out our zone blocking scheme.
Yes he was...
Old 09-18-2006   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42
Are you hating or is that an observation you have made by watching Pitt games, Texans preseason and our first two regular season games.
Old 09-18-2006   #6
Rightnow
Veteran

This is probably the worst news of the entire season. I like Carr, but I'd rather see him get knocked out of the season than Spencer. As Kubiak said, he needed a season to be great and we will be a fat rookie next year and have to start all over.

(He has a tendency to put on too much weight in the off season and he can't even workout for weeks on end.)

His injury is much worse than the loss.
Old 09-18-2006   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, gee, I wonder if cutting Seth Wand was a good idea? I guess Winston is gonna get to play after all, unless we're going to move Pitts to LT once again.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2006   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Spencer can still learn a lot by paying attention the rest of this year, and it appears he has the drive to do so. His physical skills were good in the short time he was playing, but there were times where it looked like the left side of the line wasn't adjusting to the defensive sets correctly.

So although he won't be getting the PT he'll still be improved in some aspects of the game at the start of next year, IMO.
Old 09-18-2006   #9
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

DAMN YOU RON DAYNE!!!
Sorry just had to vent.
Old 09-18-2006   #10
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Trying To Find the Silver Lining

I've always understood that most linemen need a year sitting on the bench and learning the game, and Kubiak's system is not a paint-by-numbers routine. So, in a weird twist, I think this could actually help Spencer to be a better player. I am not worried about the physical end. Spencer is an aggressive player and will work off any weight he gains.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
arg now we have to say spencer is injury prone! ughhh...
Just think, if he gets hurt next year he'll be (mis)labeled a bust like Joppru.
Old 09-18-2006   #12
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Get well soon Big Spence we will miss you! This really sucks for this team....it seems like we are jinks in this position!!!! We just can't seem to win. Well, it seems Salaam got the startin' role, hope he will help! Now, how about Flannagan? YIKES! I feel sorry for Carr, he can't seem to get a break, no wonder he looks kinda shell shock .
Old 09-18-2006   #13
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 18146 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Did Dayne take out Spencer and Flannigan?
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I just read a short article in the Chronic from "The General" (jeez I hate that stupid nickname) and he's saying Salaam starts and Winston backs him up. No mention of bringing back Wand at all.
Old 09-18-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I just read a short article in the Chronic from "The General" (jeez I hate that stupid nickname) and he's saying Salaam starts and Winston backs him up. No mention of bringing back Wand at all.
I think they have to do some kind of roster move. Weigert isn't looking good, and his durability can be questioned. If Salaam and Winston end up playing, then what do we have for back-up?

If they don't make a strong roster move I think it indicates they are playing the season for the future and are sacrificing "learning to win" this season to build that future.
Old 09-18-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Spencer looked terrific before he went down and may have been the story of the game for us in a positive manner. Weigert needs to be let loose and bring back Wand in my opinion. Weigert or the TE on the right side have been the culprits of to many sacks to date or at least those that DC felt the pain from.

Get well big Spence.
Old 09-18-2006   #17
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Losing Flanagan and Spencer is going to hurt us. Our line has almost 0 depth right now. They need to bring somebody in.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

This is very frustrating and discouraging, and all I can think of is that it would
be the perfect opportunity for that tape that Rome loves to play again and
again about Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan where the latter does the erie "why...why ?" thing.
Easily the last guy we would want to lose on the OLine, and one of the last 2
or 3 on the whole team, given the critical nature of LT and our need to finally
develope somebody to play over there.
Don't be surprised to see Iron Man Chester at LT before the season ends.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #19
Nbkan
Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to Nbkan Send a message via AIM to Nbkan Send a message via MSN to Nbkan

If I was heavy enough I would play LT as a walk on like Invinceable. Frankly though I ain't that heavy enough...245 won't cut it on the OL.

I could give 1 year at LB though purely on heart and I still am in shape
Nbkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, let's see. If I gain about 180 lbs. in the next week or two, then I'd only need to grow about 9 inches in height AND THEN I'M THERE MAN, I'LL PLAY LT FOR US!!!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read