Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What does Carr need to do to prove he's improved?
Have a great stat line. 4 8.51%
Just manage the game, and lead the team to victory. 30 63.83%
Have an amazing game (not just stats), despite us losing. 2 4.26%
Have an amazing game (not just stats), and lead the team to victory 3 6.38%
Walk on water, turn water into wine, etc 6 12.77%
Nothing, I've already given up on him no matter what he shows me. 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What does Carr need to do?

What does Carr need to do in order for the entire board to agree that he had a good game?
Old 09-18-2006   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

When I mean "amazing game" read that as good decisions, good pocket awareness, 3rd down conversions, long balls, short balls, etc.

Good stat line would be like yesterday's game.
Old 09-18-2006   #3
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

With this board?

He could go 40/40 with 10 td's and some would still want his head on a platter. It comes down to once you hate a guy, he can never do anything right again... But many would jump on the bandwagon if we started winning some dang games...
Old 09-18-2006   #4
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
What does Carr need to do in order for the entire board to agree that he had a good game?
I think stated simply by kubiak himself play consistent for all 4 quarters. Which is kind of hard if everyone is not on the same page.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #5
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

I still stand firm when I say David Carr is a good player and he needs to remaind the quarterback for the Texans. He needs to just limit the stupid mistakes (fumbled snaps) and get a little help from his O line/running game.

He will lead us to at least 6 wins this season.
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

What about:

Leave this team and go somewhere that he will have pass blocking, a running game, a defense that puts pressure on the opposing QB, and a D that also keeps the run in check.

Your question is completely loaded. It should be what does this TEAM need to do. All you people who think it's just all on the QB need to try playing your beloved Madden with Peyton Manning ALONE against 11 defenders and see how well he does.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #7
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

lead the team to victory

Carr has the talent and the skills to be a good quarterback, but I have never seen him show any leadership skills. I know the guy has had a rough road with this team, but he hasn't shown the maturity that is so vital in this position.

I think his comment to the media about playing in Indy sums it up: "Coming up here is a chore". A chore. Like a spoiled teenager grumbling over being made to do something he didn't want to do. I'm sorry - this just doesn't cut it in the NFL and we will never make it to the playoffs with that attitude.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2006   #8
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

I voted "Manage the game and lead the team to victory."

To me that means a multitude of things that Carr needs to improve upon. I will preface this by saying that, admittedly, a lot of this has to do with the amount of sacks/pressure he's seen over his first four yrs. Regardless, they are still things he needs to do IMO to show that he is a QB that can lead a team and win.

1. It means not fumbling the snap a million times like a rookie QB...and when someone bumps your leg, the ball shouldn't fall out of your hand (i.e. the Colts game)

2. It means not looking like he's completely lost half the time and not having ants in his pants...stand still in the pocket and don't get rattled and run into the rush when there is no pressure.

3. Beat the blitz: while Carr can obviously take a hit, he is usually running around like a chicken w/ his head cutoff when he takes one...just once I want to see him stand in the pocket, wait that extra second for a receiver to break coverage, fire the ball to the WR for a completion and take the hit from the blitz. While it is easier said than done, IMO it's not too much to ask in year 5 from your #1 pick. That's what good QBs do and if he started doing this, he wouldn't see as many blitzes and wouldn't have to take too many of those type of hits.

4. Make good decisions...don't try to fire the ball into a WR who is covered by three defenders; this obviously means someone else is open.

5. Make the easy throws; when there is someone open, place the ball where it needs to be, not behind them or to the wrong shoulder, etc. (I've noticed this mostly to RBs in the flat and out patterns.)

6. Show mental resolve and determination. While he has shown that he is physically tough and durable, his expressions, etc. IMO have not shown the same. Don't get up off the ground after a sack and mope back to the sideline after a 3-and-out like he's lost his best friend...I want to see him fired up, pissed off about what just happened, correcting the Oline, etc. Also, while the media can misquote statements and make things sound worse than he meant them, he should be a leader for the team and have the fire and determination in his eyes and relay that with his quotes.

Carr doesn't have to show me 300+ yds a game, but he should complete passes and throw for touchdowns when it is necessary and there are 8 men in the box. He doesn't have to run for 400+ yds on the season, but he should be able to escape the pocket and run for a first down when it is there...don't wait until the defense catches up w/ you and then try to run for your life. He just needs to do what it takes to win each game...whether that means throwing TDs, scrambling for the occasional 1st down, leading the team in the huddle and on the field...and on the sideline...and in practice & in front of the media. Just win Baby! If our running game is dominating and he doesn't have to throw one time, that's fine w/ me...just manage the clock, lead the team, and don't fumble the snap.
Old 09-18-2006   #9
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
cure cancer while avoiding a sack during the superbowl in the snow versus the Cowboys, only to hurl a ball 58 yards connecting with andre johnson for the game-winning TD with 1 second left on the clock. [edit] and, he has to run down the field, throwing a block at Roy Williams, clearing AJ's path to the endzone.
Old 09-18-2006   #10
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't see "Change his name to Reggie or Vince" as an option.

So I voted "Walk on water, turn water into wine, etc."
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I chose " manage the game and lead the team to victory" because it is closest to what I want to see. The only stat that matters is W & L. I thought Carr did a pretty good job the last 2 weeks in the face of fierce pass rushes. He still had happy feet at times, but looked much more poised and aware. He could do a Brett Favre with 2 TD's and 4 INT's and get the W and we'd all be happy. The fumble-itis has to go. That's just silly at this level. Al Davis said it best, " just win, baby".
Old 09-18-2006   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Read the defense under Center, limit mistakes, make a couple of plays a game with his feet and look up field knowing that your dump offs will be there. Do it all while we win games otherwise we cut him. Carr, McKinney, Weigert and Pitts are the constants on the offensive side of the ball since day one. We need to start to purge further. I would start with Weigert, then McKinney and then Carr. Kubiak may have to wear the Scarlet C longer than he envisioned.
Old 09-18-2006   #13
SESupergenius

Carr needs to lead this team to a come from behind win, it's that simple. He's got most of tools around him, now all he needs to do is pull this team from a deficit to lead this team. If we don't see at least one of these types of games this year then we know what we have in him.
Old 09-18-2006   #14
texan_fan_8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
With this board?

He could go 40/40 with 10 td's and some would still want his head on a platter. It comes down to once you hate a guy, he can never do anything right again... But many would jump on the bandwagon if we started winning some dang games...

I don't agree with you there. I watch every week waiting for even a flicker. The 2004 season had flickers. There are no more flickers. Doesn't mean hope stops.
texan_fan_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #15
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Carr needs to lead this team to a come from behind win, it's that simple. He's got most of tools around him, now all he needs to do is pull this team from a deficit to lead this team. If we don't see at least one of these types of games this year then we know what we have in him.
Lead them back, I think we scored 3 TDs in the 4th and the Defense gave up 3 more.............So now what should he do.

I could not imagine what this place would have been like if he did not throw any, My Lord help us!
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #16
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll know a lot more with the next two games, but if the Texans play the same way and get their jocks handed to them, they really need to consider about getting value for some players on their roster.

Let's be honest, the Texans look like they will not be a playoff caliber team for three or four years. Can you see Carr being the QB for two more years and they are playing this way? I don't care what his QB rating is. Carr could be an 8 year vet before the Texans are even close to fielding a winning team.

This team appears to be starting from scratch, I don't see how you keep David Carr and Andre Johnson on your team for three to four more years and make them the focal points. I don't care how good you think they are. This team is aweful!

Bottom line, they need to start playing a lot better and winning some games soon, or just start this thing all over again. I don't see how you keep the core of this team when you have changed everything else and you argueably have had a worse result than last year thus far this season.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #17
rodog
Rookie

Carr needs to sit the bench and let Rosenfels have a start.

1. Carr refuses to step up in the pocket to avoid sacks.

2. his numbers are padded 2 late TD vs. Colts came in garbage time.

3. He is not a leader, the team named Andre Johnson as the team captain.

4. No poise in the pocket.

5. It seems that he refuses to make "a risky throw" meaning he takes the easy sure fire pass as opposed the the harder more risk pass. As a QB you need to pass up the sure fire pass and have a go at the riskier pass. This is one of the reasons I believe that he has no INT.

MAKE THE THROW CARR!!

Many a drives momnetum has been stopped because of sacks.
rodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147467 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted for "have a great stat line."

My reasoning is that Carr can only control what he can control and those are his stats. If he makes good throws and good decisions and doesn't have a lot of turnovers, then that's all he can do. He can't play defense and he can't be the running back and he can't catch the passes. The winning and losing is up to the rest of the team.

Right now, he's improving. He's made a lot more improvement over these first two games than I expected. He's still got a ways to go but he's getting there.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodog
Carr needs to sit the bench and let Rosenfels have a start.

1. Carr refuses to step up in the pocket to avoid sacks.

2. his numbers are padded 2 late TD vs. Colts came in garbage time.

3. He is not a leader, the team named Andre Johnson as the team captain.

4. No poise in the pocket.

5. It seems that he refuses to make "a risky throw" meaning he takes the easy sure fire pass as opposed the the harder more risk pass. As a QB you need to pass up the sure fire pass and have a go at the riskier pass. This is one of the reasons I believe that he has no INT.

MAKE THE THROW CARR!!

Many a drives momnetum has been stopped because of sacks.
Lol I'm sorry but this post just made me crack up. You want him to quit making the sure fire completion and go for the risky throws? Are you crazy? Our defense is awful. The last thing we need to do is throw deep into coverage and get it picked off. Have you not seen Favre play? He does exactly what you want Carr to do--Make the risky throw. Sometimes it works, and they gain huge chunks of yards. At the same time, he throws 30+ INTs.

Only, Carr is not as "talented" as Favre is. Favre is one of the NFLs best ever. It would be like Chris Simms. He is making the risky throws, and his stats so far: 0 TDs, 6 INTs
Old 09-18-2006   #20
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12826 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius

Carr would be able to lead a come from behind win if he is given the chance to. The defense really isn't helping to keep the score close for that to happen.

What Carr needs to do is attack early. I feel that he needs to take control of the game early and be consistent about it throughtout the game, even if it's just allowing Kris Brown to get close enough to score points.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read