Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2006   #1
Snapple
Veteran

Default The "Well, we played a good team" excuse ends next week

Next week, we play the 0-2 Redskins in Houston.

They have had major offensive problems both this week against the Cowboys and last week against the Vikings. If we cannot look good against the Redskins, particularly on defense, even with homefield advantage on our side, then we are officially among the bottomfeeders of the NFL once again.

Not that I didn't know we were a bad team before the first game, but I'd like to think we're at least a little better this year. Even if we don't BEAT the Redskins, if we're still in the game by the fourth quarter, which we haven't been during these first two routs, that'll at least be a small victory.

But yeah, the Redskins are average at best. So if we look bad again, I don't want to hear anymore excuses. And if we look good, maybe there's hope we can get 6 wins.

I HOPE we can rise to the occasion. Go Texans.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #2
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84150 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got a good feeling about the game Sunday.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's true, the Redskins and Dolphins are both a far cry from the Eagles and Colts. We've seen what we look like against good teams and now here come some, at best "average" teams to town. I'm a little nervous about these two games. We could just as easily be 2-2 as 0-4 at the bye week. A lot of people predicted upset wins and close games over the past couple of weeks but I think that everyone who had any idea what they were talking about knew that the odds heavily favored us being 0-2 at this point. I don't think anybody knows what's going to happen next.
Old 09-17-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

To be fair to the Redskins, they've played Minnesota (very underated in my opinion) and Dallas (very good defense, despite their shortcomings on offense).

Clinton Portis has been sidelined the past two weeks and is expected back. They are a different team when they have a run game. Don't write this off as a gimme
Old 09-17-2006   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I don't think anybody knows what's going to happen next.
Much like a Chuck Norris film.
Old 09-17-2006   #6
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02

Clinton Portis has been sidelined the past two weeks and is expected back. They are a different team when they have a run game. Don't write this off as a gimme
teams write us off as gimmies not the other way around.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #7
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 35070 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
It's true, the Redskins and Dolphins are both a far cry from the Eagles and Colts. We've seen what we look like against good teams and now here come some, at best "average" teams to town. I'm a little nervous about these two games. We could just as easily be 2-2 as 0-4 at the bye week. A lot of people predicted upset wins and close games over the past couple of weeks but I think that everyone who had any idea what they were talking about knew that the odds heavily favored us being 0-2 at this point. I don't think anybody knows what's going to happen next.
Agree with you 100%. I'm one that predicted wins, but that's the homer in me. The realist don't expect to see significant and consistent evidence of the new Texans till the later part of the season. 6-7 wins is a realistic expectation, while the homer in me wants it to be otherwise...
Old 09-17-2006   #8
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 70160 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple
If we cannot look good against the Redskins, particularly on defense
Well, I expect to score on them, but I don't see how the secondary stops anything. Unless the d-line gets to Brunell, this could be a shoot out.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #9
Snapple
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Don't write this off as a gimme
Oh, I don't think it's a gimme. I think the Redskins are the favorites in this game. No game is a "gimme" for a team like ours. I'm just saying they're a couple tiers below the Eagles and Colts, so if we can't hang with the Redskins, we don't deserve to be called decent. Clinton Portis is good, and he may carry the Skins to somewhere around 8-8. But you can't wait for a team with zero stars to come along, because that team doesn't exist. As far as the league goes, they are average.

So if we look bad again, no more excuses.
Old 09-18-2006   #10
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a good feeling about the next game. So far we've looked terrible on both sides of the ball with sprinkles of encouraging play here and there, but nothing to get stoked about. We'll be playing a Joe Gibbs team with it's back to the wall facing an 0-3 start and the possible return of Clinton Portis, not to mention Santana Moss and Antwan Randal-El. They are 0-2 but they have played a couple of good teams as well and didn't get completely trounced like we did.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #11
Divebomb
Veteran

Washington is going to be tough, hell the way we play the Titans are going to be tough!
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #12
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Next week, we play the 0-2 Redskins in Houston.

They have had major offensive problems both this week against the Cowboys and last week against the Vikings. If we cannot look good against the Redskins, particularly on defense, even with homefield advantage on our side, then we are officially among the bottomfeeders of the NFL once again.

Not that I didn't know we were a bad team before the first game, but I'd like to think we're at least a little better this year. Even if we don't BEAT the Redskins, if we're still in the game by the fourth quarter, which we haven't been during these first two routs, that'll at least be a small victory.

But yeah, the Redskins are average at best. So if we look bad again, I don't want to hear anymore excuses. And if we look good, maybe there's hope we can get 6 wins.

I HOPE we can rise to the occasion. Go Texans.
We'll be among the bottom feeder again if we have 4 wins in week 17. Anointing our season a failure in week 3 is a bit shortsighted.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #13
Snapple
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Is Greed
We'll be among the bottom feeder again if we have 4 wins in week 17. Anointing our season a failure in week 3 is a bit shortsighted.
If we can't be competitive in a single game through three weeks, then we are a bad team. It's one thing to be 0-2 while being competitive, it's another thing entirely to be routed on a weekly basis. Provide me with a counter example of a team that got destroyed the first three weeks in a row and still had a good season, because I don't think it exists.
Old 09-18-2006   #14
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

The Way the redskins look we should Blow them out Like Indy did us today. its a feel good game for everyone.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #15
Divebomb
Veteran

Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck.
- Don Shula

Oh Don how right you are!
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #16
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 70160 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we can't be competitive in a single game through three weeks, then we are a bad team. It's one thing to be 0-2 while being competitive, it's another thing entirely to be routed on a weekly basis. Provide me with a counter example of a team that got destroyed the first three weeks in a row and still had a good season, because I don't think it exists.
Well, we haven't been "destroyed" 3 weeks in a row, but to provide you with examples;

Houston has started 2006 0-2, outscored 67-34

KC 2004 - started the season 0-3, outscored in 1st 2 games 62-41, finished 7-9

Washington 2001 - started 0-5, outscored 1st 2 games 67-3, finished 8-8

and finally....

Philly 2003 - started 0-2 being outscored 48-10, finished 12-4 and went to the NFC championship game.

And I'm sure there are lots more examples. 2 games does not a season make. Let Kubiak get this ship righted, will ya?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #17
Snapple
Veteran

Okay, Philly was a good example. I concede that, so I was wrong.

We still have a ton of holes though. I still think next week is a gutcheck game, and if we still look bad, then we're probably actually bad.

I AM giving Kubiak time to right the ship, over the course of several years. It's everyone else who thinks we're supposed to be good right now for some reason. It's hard to climb out of the gutter overnight. Even the miracle Panthers when they had the worst record in the league took two years to get a winning record, not one.
Old 09-18-2006   #18
D-Vizzl
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 D-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballotD-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think the title of this thread is accurate. I must have read a hundred times how Philly and Indy are the best and may be in the super bowl, and how **** really smells like roses blah blah blah, well darn it i'm a Texan fan and I always expect them to win, that's what makes me a die hard.

If being die hard means that I have to close my eyes on the fact that Eli put up 247 and 371 yard passing games, Brandon Jacobs (backup) 87 yards rushing, Amani Toomer 178 yards recieving against who I ask you? The same two teams that we have played. No one can tell me Eli is better than Carr, Toomer than Moulds, or that our backs can't way outperfrom a guy who backs up Tiki Barber, add that with the fact that the Giants d was terrible yesterday, how did they manage to come out of it with a split?
Old 09-18-2006   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year, every team we played early looked like a Super Bowl contender, including Buffalo and their Harvard QB. They weren't. Well, OK, Pittsburgh was descent but it could be that we just suck. It's happened before.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #20
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think that Washington is as bad as everybody thinks they are. I'll continue to look for improvement.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read