Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2006   #1
dantem
Veteran

Default Mario Williams Improvement

I just finished watching the Tivo of the game 1 play at a time to see how Mario Williams had improved since the first game. I did not notice this stuff during the Game but I thought it was interesting.

Beat = Beat his man and was headed for Manning forcing a quicker throw
Tackle = Tackles
Grasp = Had Manning in his Grasp during the throw
Force = Forced Manning to slide or go out of bounds
Off = Off Sides
Stand = Standing around clueless
Held = Blatantly Held and no Holding Call

1st Quarter - only in on Half of the downs
Beat-2
Held-2

2nd Quarter
Beat-2
Tackle-1
Stand-1

3rd Quarter
Beat-1
Tackle-1
Grasp-3
Force-1
0ff-1
Held-3

4th Quarter
Beat-2
Tackle-1
Force-1

So basically in a game against a very good Offensive line he...

Made 3 Tackles
Beat his man and pressured the QB 7 times
Had the QB in his Grasp 3 times when the ball was released
Forced the QB to slide or out of bounds 2 times
Was off sides 1 time
Was standing around 1 time
Was held 5 times with no call - (happens all the time in the NFL) but shows desperation on the offensive linemanís part

I call that a major leap forward from last week.
dantem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice breakdown.
Old 09-17-2006   #3
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantem
I just finished watching the Tivo of the game 1 play at a time to see how Mario Williams had improved since the first game. I did not notice this stuff during the Game but I thought it was interesting.

Beat = Beat his man and was headed for Manning forcing a quicker throw
Tackle = Tackles
Grasp = Had Manning in his Grasp during the throw
Force = Forced Manning to slide or go out of bounds
Off = Off Sides
Stand = Standing around clueless
Held = Blatantly Held and no Holding Call

1st Quarter - only in on Half of the downs
Beat-2
Held-2

2nd Quarter
Beat-2
Tackle-1
Stand-1

3rd Quarter
Beat-1
Tackle-1
Grasp-3
Force-1
0ff-1
Held-3

4th Quarter
Beat-2
Tackle-1
Force-1

So basically in a game against a very good Offensive line he...

Made 3 Tackles
Beat his man and pressured the QB 7 times
Had the QB in his Grasp 3 times when the ball was released
Forced the QB to slide or out of bounds 2 times
Was off sides 1 time
Was standing around 1 time
Was held 5 times with no call - (happens all the time in the NFL) but shows desperation on the offensive linemanís part

I call that a major leap forward from last week.
Finally a broke down analysis of Mario's play thanks... was much needed rather than reading worthless babble from the media.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #4
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Mario looked better this week, but it's nice to have it broken down so succinctly.

Thanks!
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #5
whiskeyrbl

Nice breakdown. I think if they leave him at DE like they did in this game. I believe Brunell will be his first casualty.
Old 09-17-2006   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw Mario's burst upfield for the first time today . With his strength ... I still think he's going to be a beast .
Old 09-17-2006   #7
dantem
Veteran

from what I saw today he should do well against the average offensive lines, and I am hoping by the end of the season he will be a force. I was really concerned the first game... he looked lost and lazy, but this one was much better.
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2006   #8
newport texan
Veteran

i concur... i noticed the improvement as well! how great is TIVO-nice breakdown!
newport texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #9
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
Nice breakdown. I think if they leave him at DE like they did in this game. I believe Brunell will be his first casualty.
Like the one I just saw on the Dallas game???

muahahaha...!!!!!

---> Brunell
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #10
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

I agree he has gotten better...but at times it seemed he was content on trying to get upfield and rush the passer on a running play and they would run right behind him. Obviously he is a rookie and is not gonna outsmart Peyton Manning, but I hope this isnt because of the pressure on him to get sacks and make plays. He just has to play within himself....and get an inside move..cmon Mario!
Old 09-17-2006   #11
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

MARIO WILLIAMS SUCKED, ONCE HE PUTS UP 9 SACKS IN A GAME THEN HE WILL BE HALF OF WAT REGGIE BUSH HAS BEEN...REGGIE BUSH HAD 150+ YARDS LAST WEEK... MARIO WILLIAMS ONLY HAD 3 TACKLES? WHAT IS THAT 20 MILLION DOLLARS PER TACKLE? WE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN VINCE YOUNG AND PUT HIM BACK THERE WITH DAVID CARR THAT WAY NO ONE COULD KNOW WHICH QB WE ARE USING THAT PLAY!

now my actual response:
i agree, much improvement... i did the same thing but you beat me to it... i just used + and - like our coaches do for our hs team. he would have graded out at 95%... which is very good ... at least in high school... so i thought he improved... he just hasnt made those huge plays yet...those will come.
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #12
dantem
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42
MARIO WILLIAMS SUCKED, ONCE HE PUTS UP 9 SACKS IN A GAME THEN HE WILL BE HALF OF WAT REGGIE BUSH HAS BEEN...REGGIE BUSH HAD 150+ YARDS LAST WEEK... MARIO WILLIAMS ONLY HAD 3 TACKLES? WHAT IS THAT 20 MILLION DOLLARS PER TACKLE? WE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN VINCE YOUNG AND PUT HIM BACK THERE WITH DAVID CARR THAT WAY NO ONE COULD KNOW WHICH QB WE ARE USING THAT PLAY!

now my actual response:
i agree, much improvement... i did the same thing but you beat me to it... i just used + and - like our coaches do for our hs team. he would have graded out at 95%... which is very good ... at least in high school... so i thought he improved... he just hasnt made those huge plays yet...those will come.
Speaking of Bush... He hasn't gotten one sack or tackle yet, but I guess it's not fair to compare him to a defensive lineman.
Old 09-17-2006   #13
jmerog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantem
Speaking of Bush... He hasn't gotten one sack or tackle yet, but I guess it's not fair to compare him to a defensive lineman.

Haha.
Old 09-17-2006   #14
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Perhaps not moving him all up and down the line is the thing to do. I haven't watched the replay yet, but I didn't notice him playing at tackle any during the game.

Also saw a couple of spin moves from him, which I hadn't seen at all in 4 pre-season and 1 regular season games. He even put a lick on Manning once IIRC.

Definite improvement. When the game slows down for him, look out.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #15
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

The improvement I saw from Mario today was his disengagement from his blocker. It seemed to me he was shedding the blocker quicker and getting into the backfield. Although he seemed to be overrunning the QB and having to chase him from behind. Manning is terrific in the pocket and sensed Mario behind and stepped up.

I'll bet you a Happy Meal he gets his first sack against the Redskins this Sunday.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #16
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that Mario showed improvement.
One thing that i saw was that he took himself out of a lot of plays.
To be fair, I saw all of oue DEs take themselves out of plays quite a few times.
They were obviously concentrating on getting upfield, and were leaving gaping running lanes behind them.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #17
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
I'll bet you a Happy Meal he gets his first sack against the Redskins this Sunday.
a happy meal huh?
Old 09-18-2006   #18
phan1
All Pro

There's no question that he was better this week, but I also think you have to compare him with the grand scheme of things. He put on a performance that just about any average DE could make. If you scrutinized billy-go from the Titans, he's probably put on the same performance.

But it's good that he's improving and I think we'll continue to see him get better every week. Hopefully, we'll be able to call him "good" by the end of the year.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

He was a BIT better, but still only uses the bull rush. No moves. I think that will come, but so far.......

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #20
real

Im not sure in what way Mario has improved...can someone please explain ???

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read