Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2006   #1
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 433 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected
Default We need to trade for CB asap.

We need some help at CB really bad. I wonder if there are any trade possibilities out there.

I think Edel Shepperd is good for KR for now until Mathis gets back. But we need a serious vet CB out there.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #2
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly
We need some help at CB really bad. I wonder if there are any trade possibilities out there.

I think Edel Shepperd is good for KR for now until Mathis gets back. But we need a serious vet CB out there.
I agree maybe we can deal P buch and a low/mid draft pick for a decent CB i like sanders but..:brickwall .. we have to get a little better.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #3
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1008 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Sheppard looked good today. Agree we need a veteran CB.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #4
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toan
Weren't we intrested in trading for tory james during the offseason? He might be old but he look good statistic wise. I would consider trading next year 4th rounder for him.
I think the bengals wanted a 3rd round pick which is unacceptable for such an old player.
Old 09-17-2006   #5
Seeing Red
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly

You might be right, but I think we have a more pressing need for a hard-hitting safety. The last 2 games C.C. Brown has been picked on a lot.

Maybe our 1st pick next year can be for a "Sean Taylor" or "Roy Williams" type of player to roam in our secondary dealing out punishment.
Old 09-17-2006   #6
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

I don't think we need to do anything drastic until our front seven starts getting more pressure on the opposing QB. Hopefully they will start to click especially as the competiton gets easier than it was in the first two games.

With that said, I think one of the main priorities of the next draft needs to be secondary help.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we need one too but I don't think we're going to be getting one before the end of the season. I think they'll wait for Faggins to get back but I don't expect him to be any kind of real answer over there.

Honestly getting someone else to run around back there for too long and eventually get burned isn't going to help near as much as putting pressure on the QB. Sanders and Robinson might even look like Pro Bowlers if we could actually inconvienience the other teams passer.

Right now you could put any 4 HOF DB's back there and they'd be hard pressed to stop Peyton Manning and Donovan McNabb.
Old 09-17-2006   #8
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1008 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toan
Weren't we intrested in trading for tory james during the offseason? He might be old but he look good statistic wise. I would consider trading next year 4th rounder for him.
There was a rumor back in the summer....... don't know if it went anywhere or not.
Old 09-17-2006   #9
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

After seeing our defense for the last two games, all I can think of is "where do you even start?" I guess the answer is one position at a time. And I don't mean neccessarily replacing them.
Old 09-17-2006   #10
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre for Dre Bly Straight up.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #11
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Shoulda went after Ty Law.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Honestly getting someone else to run around back there for too long and eventually get burned isn't going to help near as much as putting pressure on the QB.
The best corners in the league are ineffective if their teammates don't help them out by getting pressure on the QB, and we still aren't getting that pressure from our DLine.
I think Mario was marginally more active today, but still no cigar/sack(s).
Playing in the Dome in Indy is brutal, and I've seen some very good teams get
clobbered up there. I'm just thankful the game up there is so early in the season, as we've got plenty of opportunities (14 actually) to erase this nasty experience from our memory.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #13
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Andre for Dre Bly Straight up.
Andre Johnson for Dre Bly???? NO WAY!!!!! I would say for champ bailey MAYBE but not for bly alone.
Old 09-17-2006   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think we need 2 things on defense.

1) can we not play peyton anymore? please?

2) seriously, we're hurting for a free safety. this needs to be our first priority during next year's draft. i'm not nearly as worried about our cornerbacks because we've got dunta on one side and as long as we can generate a decent pass rush, our second and nickel CB's will be ok.
Old 09-17-2006   #15
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Shoulda went after Ty Law.
i would've loved that. i think law by himself has more NFL experience than our DB's combined, and that's killing us. we could really use a veteran presence somewhere amongst the DB's.
Old 09-17-2006   #16
CMoak1982
Rookie

I hear alot of people making excuses for our secondary and I just don't agree. Peyton Manning was consistently getting the ball out after 3 or 5 step drops with ease, real quick and he's always like that. It's really hard to get pressure on him then. Our secondary couldn't hold these guys for 3 seconds, on the majority of the pass attempts there were no dbs around the receivers, that is just pathetic. Dunta is a 1st rnd corner and supposed to be one of the better young corners and is consistently getting beat. Now if you're a NFL corner you should be able to cover receivers/tes 3 seconds reguardless of the pass rush. Granted it helps to have a better one and I'm not trying to make excuses for our front 7 but come on, these guys should just be named toast. I don't know if it's scheme or what, I've never been a fan of Hoke, even when he was at Florida, he has them playing 10 yards off and has always done that. If we're trying to be a cover 2 scheme we should not be allowing the long pass plays that's what the safeties are back there for. The defensive scheme as a whole right now is not working.
CMoak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #17
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

A few points that I wanted to maek about the secondary play today:

(1) I have always been mystified by the fact that no one really tries to jam Harrison too much at the LOS. When New England picked apart Indy all those years, they were always super physical with Harrison to slow the route down. I know the rules have changed to 5 yards from the LOS and Harrison has great potential to burn around you deep, but I always thought that Robinson had the speed and physical play to maybe jam Harrison a lot more on the line and still stay somewhat in coverage.

(2) C.C. Brown is killing us defensively. He tackled a WR on the pick by Earl, which in slow mo, appeared to just be a pass that Manning made without seeing Earl. I think Earl might of had it had C.C. not tackled the WR in the end zone. Also, neither C.C. nor Earl picked up the TE running the middle post after Greenwood played the underneath receiver on the Fletcher Touchdown. That may be on Greenwood, but seemed to be a poor read by the safeties.

(3) Earl made some solid stick tackles, but in general, our technique is just throw your body at the person. There is no wrapping up, there is no squaring up... the yards after contact stat from this game would be interesting to see. I recall in the first game that our tackling was very poor. Two complaints about Earl from today: he almost pushed Addai into the endzone on his fumble. Why he dove to tackle Addai from the backfield and push his momentum toward the end zone is inexplicable. The other is that on his interception called back by penalty, he knew we were down and tried to return the interception from the end zone and got to the 4. Great! Might as well put two points up on the board for INdy if you are going to do that. Bad decision.

Overall, the secondary is young and undiciplined, and lacks fundamentals in my opinion. C.C. Brown is a nice player, but has shown he hasn't picked up the coverages too well. I have said for a while that the secondary is a 2007 draft project and hopefully a free agent acquisition. Bringing in a veteran like Law this year is ridiculous because we are not 1 player away from being a playoff team.

What hurts the most is I saw no progress made with the changes we made from 2005 to 2006 that makes me believe we will beat INdy this year. The whole game was non-competitive from the first play from scrimmage.
Old 09-18-2006   #18
HeartofHouston
Veteran

LaRon Landry and Leon Hall will probably be hearing from us in the offense.. that's just my opinion.
Old 09-18-2006   #19
D-Vizzl
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 D-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballotD-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Just remember all of your comments April next year, this past year that's what I really wanted, 10 mil for Law doesn't seem that bad now. Just remember ya'll no Brady Quinn talk no Adrian Peterson, cb's is our most pressing need and then safeties.
Old 09-18-2006   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Vizzl
Just remember ya'll no Brady Quinn talk no Adrian Peterson, cb's is our most pressing need and then safeties.
It all depends on what happens in free agency. I don't know that the Texans won't handle any CB/Safety problems they have with a free agent and not a draft pick. Look at how they answered the need for a solid #2 to put in opposite AJ. They signed Moulds to not only fill the need but to also provide a veteran presence in the WR corp.

Now look at our defensive backs and tell me they don't need a veteran corner who can play and provide some leadership.

It's just my own opinion but I don't think Earl is that bad. I don't think Brown is either but together they're a weakness. We could tolerate having Earl at SS if the guy playing FS could cover.

I bet we pick up a veteran CB or FS depending on who's out there and that we fill the other spot through the draft. That doesn't have to be our first round pick however. We can still talk about using it on a sexy pick like Quinn or Peterson.

By the end of the year however we may not feel like we need a RB or a QB. By the time we get to the end of the season we may have learned that Gado is the future or that a combination of Gado and Dayne can get it done. We may find out that the light bulb comes on for Carr and we can afford to fix something else. Nobody knows but the last 8 games of 2006 will be worth watching. I don't have any doubt about that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read