Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Out of the frying pan and into the...Kubiak? (Have we improved?)

Again, I know its too early, but I thought I'd post this here just in case anyone was wondering.

Comparison of Houston 2006 vs. Indy and Houston 2005 vs. Indy

Stat----2005 average----2006
Offense:

Total Net Yards----174----299
Passing Yards----93----219
Rushing Yards----108----108
Points----18.5----24
Turnovers----1----2

Defense:
Total yards----428----515
Passing Yards----267----400
Rushing Yards----165.5----125
Points----34.5----43
Turnovers----1----1

Our offense seems to have improved considerably, but a lot of that was garbage time. Still, though, its not like we didn't have garbage time agains the Colts last year. Its just that Capers elected to run the ball on 3rd and 10 in the 4th. Our defense, which I didn't think was possible, has gotten WORSE. And not just a little worse, but a LOT worse. Our improvement in run defense should probably be seen as losing Edge, not us getting better.
Old 09-17-2006   #2
texflex513
All Pro

I think we have improved as far as coaching... it hasnt showed yet but i think in the long run it will be the difference.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #3
brewhaus
All Pro

We are a better team, with a long way to go.
brewhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #4
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

One fact being overlooked is that this was Indy's home opener. I'm sure they were a little more pumped up than usual. Nonetheless, bad day to be a Texan.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #5
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

if those stat are accurate Kubiak isnt helping us to execute better.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #6
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

we need to give kubiak and co. a year or so of drafting there players and signing FA, before we will really start to improve, doesn't happen over one season, sorry fellas no 10-6 this year, maybe 7-9 if were lucky
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #7
Crazyhorse
Rookie

No matter how this season turns out the team has charted a new course, with a new coach. Rome was not built in a day and this team will not gain the status we would like in a week or even the firsat season of this new coach. If we panic and loose are resolve to stay the course then this team will never achieve the success the fans want.........
Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2006   #8
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
we need to give kubiak and co. a year or so of drafting there players and signing FA, before we will really start to improve, doesn't happen over one season, sorry fellas no 10-6 this year, maybe 7-9 if were lucky
exactly!!!
Old 09-17-2006   #9
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 269 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x

Why do the Texans always seem to start off slower than most teams? :brickwall

Here's a listing from nfl.com of the scoring drives:
Quote:
Colts 1 12:48 B.Stokley 10 yd. pass from P.Manning (A.Vinatieri kick) (3-16, 1:27) 0 7
Colts 1 8:17 J.Addai 21 yd. pass from P.Manning (A.Vinatieri kick) (6-63, 2:31) 0 14
Colts 2 6:02 A.Vinatieri 39 yd. Field Goal (8-44, 3:16) 0 17
Texans 2 1:54 K.Brown 43 yd. Field Goal (10-55, 4:08) 3 17
Colts 2 0:00 A.Vinatieri 43 yd. Field Goal (9-44, 1:54) 3 20
Colts 3 8:07 B.Fletcher 15 yd. pass from P.Manning (A.Vinatieri kick) (13-82, 6:53) 3 27
Colts 3 3:17 A.Vinatieri 38 yd. Field Goal (8-35, 3:07) 3 30
Texans 4 11:36 O.Daniels 33 yd. pass from D.Carr (K.Brown kick) (7-80, 2:35) 10 30
Colts 4 7:56 D.Rhodes 2 yd. run (A.Vinatieri kick) (6-76, 3:40) 10 37
Texans 4 5:12 M.Bruener 1 yd. pass from D.Carr (K.Brown kick) (6-68, 2:44) 17 37
Colts 4 2:28 R.Carthon 3 yd. run (kick blocked) (9-75, 2:44) 17 43
Texans 4 0:45 A.Johnson 10 yd. pass from D.Carr (K.Brown kick) (6-61, 1:43) 24 43
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not saying Kubiak isn't going to help us in the longrun, but when we see this kind of roster changeover from last year, a full offseason to work, we shouldn't be giving up these kinds of numbers to the Colts AGAIN. I mean, our defense actually got worse
Old 09-17-2006   #11
texflex513
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
I'm not saying Kubiak isn't going to help us in the longrun, but when we see this kind of roster changeover from last year, a full offseason to work, we shouldn't be giving up these kinds of numbers to the Colts AGAIN. I mean, our defense actually got worse
You also have to realize that each offseason is different as far as players available and there is no limit to the kind of players we can get in the future...sure we had a good one this year but the next few could be much much better and hopefully that will have a huge impact.

Last edited by texflex513; 09-17-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-17-2006   #12
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We will have a good idea if this squad is worse than last years squad by watching the next two games.

They really don't need to win, but the embarrasment has to stop!

If it doesn't, this could get really ugly.

The way things are now they could have hard time winning more than 2 games this year. Look at their schedule, most of their easy games later in the season are on the road.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #13
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Well our secondary certianly seems weaker than last year. For now. We have a lot of games left to play and we started out the season with two VERY tough opponents. Hopefully, Kubiak will keep steering us in the right direction and get our defense fixed over the next year or two.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i know it's been used all day, but in our defense's defense, we went up against donovan mcnabb & peyton manning. unless you've been living under a rock the last 6 years, you'd know that they do that to EVERYONE. donovan put up 350 yards today against the giants, and peyton manning is going to hold every passing record in the books. also, what happened today is 4 fumbles. seriously, i cant chalk that kind of thing up to anything other than bad luck - it might take another 8 weeks to accumulate 4 fumbles. lets not start dodging falling sky yet.

our offense is going to take some time to gel. i know, i cringed writing it. we started 3 rookies on offense, along with a rookie head coach. our runningbacks are brand new, and we still have a wholly pathetic offensive line (right side atleast). dont expect to get into get into shootouts with peyton anytime soon.

that being said, we've got bright spots on both sides and have played two solid teams very strongly. demeco friggin ryans! mario looked more comfortable at DE as the game went on. lewis sanders is growing on me, i think he's played pretty well. carr has been doing what he's told - make the sure throw and let our guys run after the catch (and his stat line is showing it). our tight ends went from nonexistant to one of our strengths. our run defense has looked pretty solid. charles spencer will see hawaii several times.

have we improved? no, not yet. we had to take 1 step back in order to take 2 forward. we started 5+ rookies. the playbooks are still relatively vanilla. we've got maybe the youngest secondary in the league. we're going to be fine ... our young guys are growing. our coaching is getting more familiar with the team and vice versa. the schedule gets easier (thank goodness). patience folks, good things are going to happen this season.
Old 09-17-2006   #15
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
...exactly, with a BIG BIG BIG emphasis on 'or so' and then some and add a little more time for good measure--I'm with the 's on this...
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #16
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Default ..sit back, put your feet up,...relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
i know it's been used all day, but in our defense's defense, we went up against donovan mcnabb & peyton manning. unless you've been living under a rock the last 6 years, you'd know that they do that to EVERYONE. donovan put up 350 yards today against the giants, and peyton manning is going to hold every passing record in the books. also, what happened today is 4 fumbles. seriously, i cant chalk that kind of thing up to anything other than bad luck - it might take another 8 weeks to accumulate 4 fumbles. lets not start dodging falling sky yet.

our offense is going to take some time to gel. i know, i cringed writing it. we started 3 rookies on offense, along with a rookie head coach. our runningbacks are brand new, and we still have a wholly pathetic offensive line (right side atleast). dont expect to get into get into shootouts with peyton anytime soon.

that being said, we've got bright spots on both sides and have played two solid teams very strongly. demeco friggin ryans! mario looked more comfortable at DE as the game went on. lewis sanders is growing on me, i think he's played pretty well. carr has been doing what he's told - make the sure throw and let our guys run after the catch (and his stat line is showing it). our tight ends went from nonexistant to one of our strengths. our run defense has looked pretty solid. charles spencer will see hawaii several times.

have we improved? no, not yet. we had to take 1 step back in order to take 2 forward. we started 5+ rookies. the playbooks are still relatively vanilla. we've got maybe the youngest secondary in the league. we're going to be fine ... our young guys are growing. our coaching is getting more familiar with the team and vice versa. the schedule gets easier (thank goodness). patience folks, good things are going to happen this season.
We need to just sit back and relax because it's going to be a long long time before we get every single 'slot' filled with the exact players we need to win consistently on the field--patience is the key because getting 'antsy' is not going to speed the process up and talking 'trash' doesn't help either. If you thought the 5 yr plan was a long time, you better get out the 'stress tabs' and 'malox.'
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #17
HeartofHouston
Veteran

there is a couple of things that i agree with in this thread I mean look at who our first 2 games are against.. you have a hungry McNabb is on a mission to prove that the PTO Era (Post Terrell Owens) is gonna be something to be reckoned with. I mean without TO these guys went to the NFC championship like 4 or 5 years in the row or something or that nature and then you add in a reciever like Stallworth.. could you really expect us to shoot it out with them. And we all know how good their defense is.

And then Mr. Peyton Manning.. there is really no point in writing this part but we all know what he can do. With out without Edge this guy is definetly gonna end up in the Hall of Fame one day. So this is no time to panic at all we just have to keep our heads up and keep fighting.
Old 09-18-2006   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo-x
Why do the Texans always seem to start off slower than most teams? :brickwall
Well, last week we scored a TD on the opening drive and led 7-0.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #19
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of us forget or don't think of the fact that Gary Kubiak is a first year head coach in the NFL. Yeah he was an impressive o-coordinator in Denver but that doesn't automatically mean that he's going to make all the right moves. There is a big difference between being a coordinator and head coach in this league. He's going to and has made mistakes and just like the team he's learning everytime a single snap this team makes. Give Gary and the coaches some time to see what this team really has and then I think we'll see much better execution. As of now I think he's done a good job but he'll make mistakes. And that's just the painful part of becoming a team.

Last edited by Nawzer; 09-18-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Nawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston
... you have a hungry McNabb is on a mission to prove that the PTO Era (Post Terrell Owens) is gonna be something to be reckoned with...
I just wish we were hungry and on a mission to prove something. I'd like to bring some fire to the first snap of game and carry it through to the last. I'm not seeing that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read