Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Should he be moved around or stay put?
Stay Put at DE 66 89.19%
Move around and learn them all... 8 10.81%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2006   #1
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler
Default Should Mario stay at DE or play up and down the D Line

I know pretty much how this will go, but wondered anyways.

And I know we are not coaches and have no knowledge of what is going on, but what is your "opinion" on this subject?
Old 09-15-2006   #2
texflex513
All Pro

I think the coaches should at least let him get comfortable with his natural spot first, and then let him roam after he gets accustomed to the NFL playing in one spot.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #3
yumyum
Rookie

They should just leave him at DE and let him tear ***** up. Yes, we played a good OL last week, we play a good OL this week, and i think washington has a pretty decent line too. so we prob wont see anything from Mario until week 4. If they should put anybody at DT it should be Weaver, he's big and slow enough and just leave Babin at DE all the time too, JMO.
yumyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #4
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I would've predicted that there wouldn't be a single vote for moving him around.
I'm surprised that there is one.

michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #5
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
I would've predicted that there wouldn't be a single vote for moving him around.
I'm surprised that there is one.

I wonder who voted that?
Old 09-15-2006   #6
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

The more I think about it the more I realize Mario has to stay at one spot. I mean I just had a thought. How does moving Mario inside on critical downs affect the confidence of our current DT's. I mean it's like the coach basically says it's nice while your in there, but we don't trust you in this critical situation. We'd rather have a rookie who doesn't even play your position take your spot on critical downs. I mean to me it just gets worse the more I think about it and the thing I'm left wondering is. Why didn't Kubiak ever think of this, I mean even before pre-season started and they toyed with the idea Mario said his preference was DE.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I see it like this.. its pretty obvious that Mario is struggling out there being moved around. On top of that, the Media and Mario himself have said they would prefer he stay in one spot, and would be more successful if he did. Additionally.. he looked bad against Philly, and we were having a hell of a time creating any kind of pass rush.

Taking all this into account.. I come to the conclusion that Kubiak, and probably everyone else who is allowed to put the title "coach" in front of thier last name, KNOWS that Mario would probably look alot better if we put him at DE and left him there.

So if thats the case.. why is he being moved around? I dunno.. but he is.. and im not yet prepared to say that our coaches are screwing up after one game.

So.. I voted "Stay put at DE"..but my official answer is "lets wait and see what happens"
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If we believe GaryK's word is enough to start David Carr...... to pay him an $8 mill bonus to stay on our team, then when the man says moving Mario is the best thing for us in the long run, then we need to trust him, and let him develop Mario.

He thinks Mario can handle it... I believe Mario can handle it.

Let me put it to you this way. When I learned to play piano, I was learning Mary had a little lamb. Right now, I can beat out a couple of show tunes.

My Daughter started off playing Mozart & Chopin......... let's just say she's better at her age, than I am now.
Old 09-16-2006   #9
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
If we believe GaryK's word is enough to start David Carr...... to pay him an $8 mill bonus to stay on our team, then when the man says moving Mario is the best thing for us in the long run, then we need to trust him, and let him develop Mario.

He thinks Mario can handle it... I believe Mario can handle it.

Let me put it to you this way. When I learned to play piano, I was learning Mary had a little lamb. Right now, I can beat out a couple of show tunes.

My Daughter started off playing Mozart & Chopin......... let's just say she's better at her age, than I am now.
so, you're saying that Mario's behind the curve at learning the piano?
That's just great... another thing for us all to worry about.

michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #10
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Like I've been saying, Mario has to adjust to playing at a different speed and dealing with many linemen. I think the coaches are trying to speed up his development by having him face many linemen instead of just focusing on the LT and TE.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
Like I've been saying, Mario has to adjust to playing at a different speed and dealing with many linemen. I think the coaches are trying to speed up his development by having him face many linemen instead of just focusing on the LT and TE.
That may be....... going against Tackles, he's going against the more athletic.... faster guys, going against TEs, he's going against the bigger stronger guys...

maybe.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #12
tburdette
Rookie

Someone on NFL LIve said it best. If he moves up and down the line he is a jack of all trades but a master of none. I really think that sums it up. We need him to be a great edge rusher and it takes time to learn the technique in the nfl so we should just leave him where he is supposed to be.
tburdette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburdette
Someone on NFL LIve said it best. If he moves up and down the line he is a jack of all trades but a master of none. I really think that sums it up. We need him to be a great edge rusher and it takes time to learn the technique in the nfl so we should just leave him where he is supposed to be.
you do understand there is a reason none of the guys on NFL Live aren't coaching NFL football teams don't you?? If any of those guys were given the choice between being an NFL coach, or being a TV analyst, there is only one reason they would choose TV analyst...

That being said, if you take a guy like Jason Taylor, and move him around to DT from time to time, I doubt that he'd be less effective as a DE. He might not show you anything at DT....

But a guy like ReggieWhite........ especially when you can put your "DwightFreenish" guy on the weekside & another effective Power/Speed guy on the strongside..... Yeah, he'll make an impact. He'll be feared regardless where you put him on the line, and the advantage is given to him when he lines up at tackle, because the opposing gaurd ain't never had to work against someone that big, that strong, and that fast at the same time.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #14
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Here's a question if you think what Kubiak is doing with Mario is right. How would you feel if he started trying A.J. at RB? He's got the build and speed to do so. I mean you don't mind taking snaps away from Mario at his natural position, why not do the same with A.J. I mean the guy might be better than what we got in the backfield right now.
Old 09-16-2006   #15
stevo3883
All Pro

54 million to "take up blockers"? uh, no thanks.
Old 09-16-2006   #16
TexansMVP
Probowler

I wonder if we are still going to try to move him around this week against the Colts especially with their no-huddle offense. I'm rooting for Mario to have a big game soon but I'm not sure how he is going to respond against the no-huddle as it can cause a lot of confusion and fatigue.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #17
TexanBronco
Rookie

I voted Stay Put at DE. cause I think its the best for him right now @ least till he get better and understands it all
Old 09-16-2006   #18
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
Here's a question if you think what Kubiak is doing with Mario is right. How would you feel if he started trying A.J. at RB? He's got the build and speed to do so. I mean you don't mind taking snaps away from Mario at his natural position, why not do the same with A.J. I mean the guy might be better than what we got in the backfield right now.
AJ isn't a rookie, and if he was, he would be used as a utility player, returning kicks, running screens, and yes, even running, in some teams' offenses.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #19
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
AJ isn't a rookie, and if he was, he would be used as a utility player, returning kicks, running screens, and yes, even running, in some teams' offenses.
What's that supposed to mean, AJ would be better to use as a utility player, because he's had time to master his craft. I mean if Kubiak says he wants to challenge his players why not try this with A.J. because he's not a rookie. That's a BS reason and you know it. Everyone complains about our DT's, but be honest our RB's aren't anything to write home about and well basically I say that using A.J. like that is a bad idea just like using Mario like that is a bad idea.
Old 09-16-2006   #20
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Let Mario concentrate on one area. Even Dwight Freeney said that he thought it was a bad idea with what the Texans are doing to Mario. They need to keep him at the end, let him stay there, and master the position. Enough said.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read