Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-15-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How do you deal with being discouraged?

I love this Message Board, but it really messes a guy up. All offseason, I hear great debates, articles, footage, etc of the Texans, and get pumped up. Theres this psychological theory called "Cognitive Dissonance" which, in its simplest form, argues that if a person says something enough times, they'll eventually believe it to be true.

Now I'm not saying I thought we'd go 16-0 this season, but before the regular season started, I seriously thought wwe had a chance at a winning record. Looking back, I know that was wishful thinking considering we are rebuilding, but I'm just saying.

I'm not going to give up on the team or saying I think things are going poorly--I know we're a rebuilding team and its going to take time to turn things around. Its just that when I look ahead on the schedule, their isn't 1 game that I KNOW we will win. As bad as the Titans, Browns, Raiders, etc are this year, the difference in skill level isn't so great that we don't have a legitimate chance of losing. It just comes with the territory of being a team starting 5 rookies.

I thought Kubiak was a quick fix. The recent roster moves, the hybrid schemes, the rotating depth chart all scream rebuilding. I know its crazy to think that everything would be fixed immediately, but I think thats a product of spending too much time here lol. Kubiak is going to take his time, and while I know it'll be better in the long run, its tough knowing it.

Does this ever get discouraging to you? And if so, how do you deal with it?

I've been a Texans fan since the beginning, and I'm not going to stop any time soon. Its just tough to go into every game hoping for a win rather than expecting one.
Old 09-15-2006   #2
real

I feel your pain brutha!!! But you honestly expected to go from 2-14 to a winning record??? I think it just depends on what you were expecting...All the things that you named that were discussed on the board during the off season IMO, have shown themselves to be true...We aren't where we need to be yet, but we have definitely improved...just hang in there!!!
Old 09-15-2006   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
I feel your pain brutha!!! But you honestly expected to go from 2-14 to a winning record??? I think it just depends on what you were expecting...All the things that you named that were discussed on the board during the off season IMO, have shown themselves to be true...We aren't where we need to be yet, but we have definitely improved...just hang in there!!!
If you tell yourself its going to happen, and other people show the same attitude, its hard not get caught up in the hype! We have a lot of talent here. Sometimes I just forget how much talent EVERY OTHER TEAM in the Nfl seems to have
Old 09-15-2006   #4
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
If you tell yourself its going to happen, and other people show the same attitude, its hard not get caught up in the hype! We have a lot of talent here. Sometimes I just forget how much talent EVERY OTHER TEAM in the Nfl seems to have
Im not denying that...but I said "expected"...Can it be done...sure...but you expected that ? And that was just one game...we could go 15-0 the rest of the way !!!1
Old 09-15-2006   #5
MasterBasser
Rookie

You know what discourages me. The 49er's have been equally terrible if not worse as our Texans for the last 2 seasons. 49er's have been drafting best player available for 2 years, not by needs. I know it may be a little early to tell, but the 49er's look to be much further along than the Texans in the same amount of time. 49er's can put pts on the board and hung tough with a good Arizona team. I know we drafted to improve defence but it still dont matter if you can't score any pts. Plus with a little offense we could make it a little more exciting and put people in the seats.
MasterBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

How do you deal with being discouraged?

Laugh when that is the only viable alternative.
Old 09-15-2006   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Alcohol
Old 09-15-2006   #8
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Just realize that rooting for the Texans is at least better than a swift kick in the ....then again maybe not.
Old 09-15-2006   #9
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 925 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

Embedded in my head are my fathers words:

Good things come to those who wait. . . I am waiting!
Old 09-15-2006   #10
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 19458 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

I want us to win...............but, I don't expect us to win?
I'm confused.

MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Cheering for the Texans is like gambling. You lose almost every time, but when they win, its so much the sweeter.
Old 09-15-2006   #12
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

I like to think of these losing seasons as "build up" to the big climax. On the glorious day when this team becomes a championship caliber team, you will feel an elation that will reveal all of these discouraging moments for what they were which is build up to the big moment.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point the best record we could finish with would be 15-1 and I'm thinking we're a few losses from falling short of that 9-7 "winning record" that you had in your minds eye.

Seasons aren't over in a single weekend. Teams sometimes start hot and go cold. Others start slowly and geet it all together later in the year.

There's an ebb and flow to the football season that I truly enjoying watching happen. Each one has a life of it's own with different ups and downs along the way. I like watching the entire thing and I only truly despair during those years (2005 comes to mind) where it's apparent that "the journey" is going nowhere. As bad as last season was I can't honestly say that I knew it was going to be a total disaster after the opener at Buffalo. Give it some time to develop.

For those times when I really can't get over the dissappointment I prescribe Guiness Extra Stout and keep 'em coming.
Old 09-15-2006   #14
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Try to look on the bright side. I mean I look at what we did in the pre-season and think it's like warm up. Now that the regular season's started is the real test. I look at the first game and I gotta think that the coaching staff saw what worked and what didn't. Not only that but I think this is the first time players can actually see themselves in real action and see where they should have been looking at or what they should have been doing and work on improving it. I saw alot of running plays where had the running back made the cut to the backside or tried to have a little patience and take it further outside they would have had a good gain. I know it's one cut and go, but our backs have to realize that if they wait just a little bit a better hole can open up and at worst they would have gone out of bounds at the line of scrimmage. I think that's the purpose of the ZBS. Our running game had opportunities to get going, but our guys just didn't capitalize on it and know that they had a chance to review they should improve for next week. Same thing on defense, I'm sure they saw what plays had the most success and what plays failed. I gotta belief they'll make adjustment. One thing I didn't like even at the beginning of the game was the cushion the receivers got. One of the passes Stallworth caught was between four defenders and he had room to gain yds. before anybody got close to him. I believe we will make adjustments and be a better team this weekend. I believe we won't allow the Colts to gain as many yds. as the Eagles and I believe we will gain more yds. against the Colts D then against the Eagles D. We might not win, but I gotta believe we're gonna get better. That's how I deal with disappointment, looking to the next game. You gotta believe and expect our team to be better.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I can understand being discouraged...but I keep myself in the perspective that our ship will eventually come in.

I try to keep my expectations realistic, so I won't be disappointed. We have yet to get close to a winning record (sorry, but 7-9 is close to a non-losing record), and everything is a process.

2-14 frustrated the heck out of me...that was as tough of a season to endure as anything that I've experienced as a football fan...so hopefully, our worst days are behind us.

And I realize the important things in life - family, friends, career - and being a football fanatic is merely an entertainment diversion.

But even having a losing football team in town is better than no football team at all. And I'll never forget the empty feeling of football season without a hometown team.

So it's all perspective, IMO. And hey, even when we lose, tailgating is still a blast!
Old 09-15-2006   #16
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflnutswife
Embedded in my head are my fathers words:

Good things come to those who wait
This, too, shall pass. And then all will be well!
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #17
gtexan02
Working?

I sometimes wonder what it must be like to be a patriots, steelers, etc fan right now. Do they get complacent?
Old 09-15-2006   #18
sk8termom
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
I sometimes wonder what it must be like to be a patriots, steelers, etc fan right now. Do they get complacent?
Speaking as a long-time Steelers fan - I never get complacent. Every year they have to prove themselves. It was a tough off-season for the Steelers. So many losses, so many question marks as well for the team. Even though pre-season doesn't mean a lot, it was hard to see them go 0-4.

So far, so good this season, we're 1-0 . But there is a long way to go.

I believe the Texans will be better this season - but it will take some time. If I had to predict, I would say 5-11 or 6-10.
Old 09-15-2006   #19
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
At this point the best record we could finish with would be 15-1 and I'm thinking we're a few losses from falling short of that 9-7 "winning record" that you had in your minds eye.

Seasons aren't over in a single weekend. Teams sometimes start hot and go cold. Others start slowly and geet it all together later in the year.

There's an ebb and flow to the football season that I truly enjoying watching happen. Each one has a life of it's own with different ups and downs along the way. I like watching the entire thing and I only truly despair during those years (2005 comes to mind) where it's apparent that "the journey" is going nowhere. As bad as last season was I can't honestly say that I knew it was going to be a total disaster after the opener at Buffalo. Give it some time to develop.

For those times when I really can't get over the dissappointment I prescribe Guiness Extra Stout and keep 'em coming.
Ditto, though I prefer tequila.

No real reason to think we can't finish with 8 or more wins. A number of teams in recent memory have started out flat and finished hot. Last year's Dolphins (themselves adjusting to a new coach) come quickly to mind.
Old 09-15-2006   #20
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

The Oilers taught me not to get your hopes up too high cause you'll just get kicked in the balls. I just take the games for what they're worth and have a good time. Not too many Texan fans here so I am usually watching the games with the opposing teams fans. It's hard sometimes but it gives you a thick skin. When the good times FINALLY do start it will be a lot sweeter after going trough all this.

Hey, look at the bright side. At least we aren't Browns fans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read