Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Will Gado be a starter in Houston?
Gado will start in about 3 games 47 70.15%
Gado will start sometime around week 8 4 5.97%
Gado will not be a starter 16 23.88%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2006   #1
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover
Default How long before Gado is starting?

I think Kubiak, Sherman, and Smith brought Gado in to start -- my guess 3 games.

Now what does the rest of the forum think about this move? Will Gado be a starter in H-Town?
_________

"I think he's (Gado) already proven that he can be an every-down back. He's a kid that is a power type of back with good speed and balance and agility. So to put him in this offense will be an asset for us." -- Houston general manager Rick Smith
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he will see Carries this week, and will share carries with Dayne for the rest of the season if he does well.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Gado was brought in to share carries with Dayne. I think they were both brought in because our backs were too green (in the cases of Lundy and Taylor) and they didn't fit well enough from the start (Morency).

I think that the first thing our coaches want to see is Wali Lundy break out and be effective in this offense. I don't think they expect that to happen anytime soon though and that's why we have Dayne and Gado.

If Dayne can build on and continue the nice little 53 carry, 5.1 average run he had last year with Denver then I think he starts and Gado spells him. Lundy falls to third and becomes the so-called "change of pace" back.

Personally I think (pure speculation on my part) this is probably what Kubiak hopes will happen. If Ron Dayne works in this system then throw out the first 5 years of his career in New York. He's a back with very low miles on him who can probably give us a few seasons while Kubiak hunts down and trains his future replacement.

Yeah it's very optimistic on my part but I just look at him and think "Here's a guy who didn't "pan out" like he was supposed to but who went to Denver and averaged 5 yards a carry. Now Denver has a really good offensive line and they do things a little different up there. What they do obviously agreed with Ron Dayne. If it wasn't just a fluke he could be productive for us. Not "Terrell Davis" productive maybe but surely he could manage "Domanick Davis" productive.
Old 09-14-2006   #4
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

Just looking at the 5 games last season that Gado received 20+ touches -- he totaled around 570 yds and 7 tds behind a poor Green Bay O-line. Certainly that has to be in the back of Kubiak's mind.

Those were some serious numbers in Sherman's offense -- in Kubiak's system the sky is the limit.
Old 09-14-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12713 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale Gator
Just looking at the 5 games last season that Gado received 20+ touches -- he totaled around 570 yds and 7 tds behind a poor Green Bay O-line. Certainly that has to be in the back of Kubiak's mind.

Those were some serious numbers in Sherman's offense -- in Kubiak's system the sky is the limit.
I don't understand where this bad Green Bay offensive line thing comes from. Their line play was not bad at all last season, just because Favre threw 29 INT's and had a bad season doesn't translate to bad line play. In fact they only allowed 27 sacks last season. They gained over 5000 offensive yards last season as well.
Old 09-14-2006   #6
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

What worries me about Gado is the knee injury, and his supposed problems with the zone blocking scheme in GB. He hasn't done anything reminiscent of his rookie year in a game situation since the injury, and apparently GB's staff didn't think he was catching on to the new scheme very well. I hope he works out for us, we could use a back who's started recently, but at this point I'm fairly sceptical.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 120208 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not reading much into this..I didn't follow his career last season, whowever I saw his run and saw his stats.. hohum
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 382259 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I don't understand where this bad Green Bay offensive line thing comes from. Their line play was not bad at all last season, just because Favre threw 29 INT's and had a bad season doesn't translate to bad line play. In fact they only allowed 27 sacks last season. They gained over 5000 offensive yards last season as well.
Yes it was bad last year. They lost both starting guards. Their very good LT--Clifton gave up twice as many sacks in part due to bad guard play and losing their TE. The only reason they only had 27 sacks was Favre will run around and then throw the ball into an INT rather than be sacked.
Old 09-15-2006   #9
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
What worries me about Gado is the knee injury, and his supposed problems with the zone blocking scheme in GB. He hasn't done anything reminiscent of his rookie year in a game situation since the injury, and apparently GB's staff didn't think he was catching on to the new scheme very well. I hope he works out for us, we could use a back who's started recently, but at this point I'm fairly sceptical.

I'm not too worried about the knee injury. I heard that he could have started GB's last game of the season, but they were out of anything meaningful, so they didn't play him.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #10
Tale Gator
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
I'm not too worried about the knee injury. I heard that he could have started GB's last game of the season, but they were out of anything meaningful, so they didn't play him.
Yeah, they wanted to make sure he was healthly for this season - his knee injury was not a big deal at all. Btw - when he hurt that knee vs. the Ravens he had already run up 45 yards in the 1st quarter on 6 carries.
Old 09-15-2006   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

The good thing about his injury (can there be such a thing?) is that it was just a strain and didn't require surgery. I think by week 4 we will be seeing a lot of Gado.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #12
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

He very well could see a lot of carries with Dayne this weekend. How did the Colts do against the run last week? 25th or something to that?
Old 09-15-2006   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12713 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_VA
He very well could see a lot of carries with Dayne this weekend. How did the Colts do against the run last week? 25th or something to that?
The Colts are ranked 30th against the run right now.
Old 09-15-2006   #14
Tale Gator
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_VA
The Giants shredded them pretty well last week.
Old 09-17-2006   #15
Tale Gator
________

Any new opinions after his first game today?
Old 09-17-2006   #16
underdog65
Veteran

I believe that Gado and Dayne will be good backs for us. Lundy is not going to cut it in this system. Not big enough. I expect to see Dayne start and Gado back him up based on todays game.
Old 09-17-2006   #17
TFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 4909 TFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog65
I believe that Gado and Dayne will be good backs for us. Lundy is not going to cut it in this system. Not big enough. I expect to see Dayne start and Gado back him up based on todays game.
I think Lundy will do good in this system, but it won't be this year or it will be late in the season.
TFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #18
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1008 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Lundy will be 3rd behind Gado and Dayne.

As for starter - I am not sure that means anything right now the way Kubiak is swapping out the RB's like he is now. Co-starters might be a better term - at least until one of them pulls away and cements the spot.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006   #19
K.D.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_Fanatic
I think Lundy will be 3rd behind Gado and Dayne.

As for starter - I am not sure that means anything right now the way Kubiak is swapping out the RB's like he is now. Co-starters might be a better term - at least until one of them pulls away and cements the spot.
Totally agree, Lundy just cemented 3rd string after today. As for as starter, RD or SG, I really don't care because both of these guys are hard-nosed runners who hits the hole and falls forward. Lundy needs to sit back and see these guys at work and understand there is a certain way to run in this offense, HARD at all times.
K.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #20
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Today just reinforced my love of this trade. Nothing against Morency, but Gado seems to be what we needed more.

Gado is a good thing! (I am trying to get this to catch on)
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read