Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2006   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Epiphany about Gado

I dont know if this has already been discussed, sorry if im rehashing something that was already made clear in the Gado thread. But, if this ISNT something that has been discussed, I think its worth a new thread.

So anyway, I was driving home from my Math test (ugh), smoking a newport and thinking about how much im looking forward to this coming Sunday, and I got to thinking about Gado.

Now, it has been mentioned (I think) by Kubiak that Gado would be getting carries in the Colts game, along with Dayne. I was thinking about that and I said to myself;

"self, how terrible is Gado gonna look in an offense that he has probably barely even cracked the playbook on?"

Then I began to think about the reaction from the fans here that Gado is gonna get when he looks lost in our offense.. and all the sarcastic and pessimistic comments that are gonna be passed around. So then I said to myself;

"Self, that just doesnt make any sense.. I know our running game was bad last week but is it really gonna do us any good to throw a guy out there who doesnt know a thing about our offense? I mean, basicly all we would be doing is handing him the ball and telling him to look for a hole.. thats not real smart in the pros"

So thats when I had the epiphany. I knew our staff was smarter than that.. and it struck me that the announcers in the eagles game were talking about how we looked like a mix of Green Bay and Denver.. and they were pointing out that "thats a Green Bay formation" and "thats a Denver formation" etc..etc..etc..

So I put 2 and 2 together and realized.. hey, Gado did really well in Sherman's system last year..and really poorly in thier new system. People have been saying "why did we get Gado, he is struggling in the zone blocking scheme we run". Exactly.. Why take a player that isnt getting the zone blocking? Why give the ball to a guy that has never played in your offense? Because he wont be running the ball in our offense, or in the zone blocking scheme. We have plays in our playbook that came from Sherman. Just as Dayne is coming in with a working knowledge of the Denver scheme, Gado is coming in with a working knowledge of the Green Bay scheme.

If Gado gets the ball on Sunday, its gonna be when we are running a play that he knows from last year in Green Bay, where he was very successful. Just as Dayne will be getting the ball when we run plays that came from the Denver style.

Dayne and Gado are band-aids for our struggling running game. Both of them know portions of our playbook.. and both of them had success running those plays on their past team.

Its actually gonna be pretting interesting to see if the rest of our offense will be able to adequately run plays from the two different playbooks. I know that they have been practicing this all offseason, but now we have a seperate back for each section of the book.

Anyway, I just thought id share that thought, and maybe make people feel a little better about the Gado trade. Hopefully, when its all said and done and we have established the identity of our offense.. we will find that Gado, or Dane, or Lundy.. or all of them.. are capable of having success no matter which play we are running.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #2
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

I am down with the Gado trade anyway..but...

I like your logic! Could easily explain why the trade was done.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #3
AtheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl

no lie. way to shed some light from an angle i hadn't thought of before now. I'd love to see Gado get his chance to become a feature back. I really like the kid. glad to know he's gonna be getting some action come sunday (playing football...)
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #4
vast321
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to vast321

I like that! I also heard them talk about the Green Bay and Denver system a few times during last sundays game. Im looking forward to seeing Gado and Dayne in this game, since they already have a feel for our running style. I really think that if our running game can run around 175 or more yards between the backs, that any defense is going to have trouble all around with our offense. Maybe im being too optimistic... who cares
vast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #5
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

I feel bad for Carr, because I don't think he's gonna know who he's going to hand the ball off anymore. He's gonna be like, "Who the heck is that? Gado? WTF?" Well, hopefully Gado can make a difference, maybe throw a block during pass-protection.
Old 09-14-2006   #6
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Good point Grid. Of course it remains to be seen if that's the way it plays out or if it will work, but it is a good thought from a different angle.
Old 09-14-2006   #7
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this thread...A LOT!!!!!
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2006   #8
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Blocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
I feel bad for Carr, because I don't think he's gonna know who he's going to hand the ball off anymore. He's gonna be like, "Who the heck is that? Gado? WTF?" Well, hopefully Gado can make a difference, maybe throw a block during pass-protection.

That's what I was thinking too! It's an area that I hope our 2 new backs are better at than what our other backs were. And, I also hope some of our TE's have made improvements this week in that same department!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #9
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Good point Grid. I didn't even think of the times we've ran GB's old plays, Gado should be able to step right in for a few snaps if we can stay on the field long enough.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #10
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan
Thumbs up

Awesome post, Grid. Great insight into Gado and Dayne being brought in. Gado did look pretty good in the few Packers' games I watched last season. Dayne looked sharp in that Thanksgiving game last year. Hopefully these 2 will have some success here.
Old 09-14-2006   #11
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

newports are whack. parliaments ftw.
Old 09-15-2006   #12
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27501 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I'd like to take credit for this very intelligent posting by Grid. As his former teacher, all things smart he does comes from me. Any idiotic postings he makes are either his parents fault, or of his own accord.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #13
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting perspective..and a piece of logic i hadn't thought of before. Very nice

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #14
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I think there is another point to be made about Gado and that is he is highly intelligent. I have a feeling he will pickup the play book very rapidly. He is also quite humble and apparently has a lot of respect for Sherman. We obviously needed something based on what happened last Sunday. I guess they were saying our RB's flunked their finals.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #15
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Seriously, it makes not a single bit of difference who takes the handoff from Carr's perspective, as long as whoever it is in in the correct position for the called play.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

using that logic should not the Colts or scouting team for the Colts figure out that when Gado is in the backfield the Texans will run his patented GB play or that Dayne is in that he runs his Denver playbook? there is enough footage of both to come to a pretty good idea of how to defense them, thus neutralizing effectivness.

I still feel the Texans best option is to hit Lundy out of the backfield with short passes, unless the line suddenly opens gapping holes for the big backs.

Excellent post however I enjoyed the way you presented your thought process and good luck with school.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Your observation is right, IMO.

Can anyone break down the preseason games and the effectiveness of the run plays during GB blocking and likewise during Denver blocking?

I wish the reporters would ask SMART questions, such as "Why are you splitting the playbook into GB and Denver styles? Why not just go with the Denver system? What's the overall strategy here?"
Old 09-15-2006   #18
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 985 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
newports are whack. parliaments ftw.
Smoking is whack.

Great point Grid. This is exactly what we need. Hopefully success shines on us this weekend and all these negative vibes will begin to lift.
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #19
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl

I second that. Alonzo Highsmith (a ex oiler and now Green Bay scout) talked about the trade with John yesterday morning on Sports Radio 610 and he said he would flourish in our zone blocking scheme and he's a legit 4.4 player. Give him a chance.
Old 09-15-2006   #20
real

Quote:
He's gonna be like, "Who the heck is that? Gado? WTF?"
LMAO!!!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read