Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario: Do you really want to read it?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5...40813162&ATT=5

Quote:
Mario Williams, the defensive end the Houston Texans chose with the first overall pick in the April draft, didn't have a sack in his NFL debut against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday.

That's not a problem Oakland's Derrick Burgess, who led the league in sacks last season, failed to get one in the Raiders' opener. But what is a problem is that an analysis of Williams on every play of Houston's loss showed that he rarely even came close to getting a sack, and on several plays he looked ill-prepared for reading the complex offenses he'll face each week in the NFL.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we all could have told you that.

The biggest concerns were:
-Looking lost on trick plays (he seemed to have trouble locating the ball)
-Repeatedly using "bull rush" and "run around the Tackle" instead of using moves

He'll learn
Old 09-14-2006   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
He'll learn
One day when he's polishing his SB ring, he'll look back on his rookie season and chuckle. After which, he'll down his last sip of cognac, close the Nietzche he was reading, and go to bed content in the fact that he ended Peyton Manning's reign over the AFC south.
Old 09-14-2006   #4
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Peppers did not have a sack in his rookie season until game 6 I think.

I love it how we judge a guy on the FIRST GAME! I mean, I was a D brick fan, but Im not going to write it in on Mario
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #5
vast321
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to vast321

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
One day when he's polishing his SB ring, he'll look back on his rookie season and chuckle. After which, he'll down his last sip of cognac, close the Nietzche he was reading, and go to bed content in the fact that he ended Peyton Manning's reign over the AFC south.
You left out the part where he flips on the TV and falls asleep watching spongebob
vast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #6
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle
Peppers did not have a sack in his rookie season until game 6 I think.

I love it how we judge a guy on the FIRST GAME! I mean, I was a D brick fan, but Im not going to write it in on Mario
It was game 2. He had 3.
Old 09-14-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
It was game 2. He had 3.
That's correct--game 2 against a Detroit team about to go 3-13. He then went 3 games without a sack and two games with only one tackle before getting 3 more sacks against a 5-11 Dallas team. In other words half his sacks came against two very poor teams--someone look up a prospect profile and tell me if this sounds familiar.

Funny how all the focus is on a rookie playing like a rookie rather than something like a vet CB missing two INT opportunities because of bad hands--defensed balls are great--turnovers are game changers.
Old 09-15-2006   #8
DontTreadOnMe
Rookie

mario will be A-OK.... hahaha, i love how everybody(besides most of us) is already calling ole boy mario a bust 1 freaking game into the season... oh well, all this bs will make him a stronger player... i seriously hope that when mario starts to dominate and espn notices and wants to suck his.. well, you know what... mario just blows them off... and they wont wanna talk about reggie, because pretty soon there will be absolutely no record of him even playing college ball... 1st heisman winner to lose his trophy... man, oj couldnt even accomplish that feat, and he killed 2 people... i bet the heisman committee is regretting passing up vince... this is an embarassment
DontTreadOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe
mario will be A-OK.... hahaha, i love how everybody(besides most of us) is already calling ole boy mario a bust 1 freaking game into the season... oh well, all this bs will make him a stronger player... i seriously hope that when mario starts to dominate and espn notices and wants to suck his.. well, you know what... mario just blows them off... and they wont wanna talk about reggie, because pretty soon there will be absolutely no record of him even playing college ball... 1st heisman winner to lose his trophy... man, oj couldnt even accomplish that feat, and he killed 2 people... i bet the heisman committee is regretting passing up vince... this is an embarassment
I am not sure if Mario will be a superstar or bust but either way, I am not going to give up on the guy yet. Hopefully it will just take him awhile to adjust and get it together. I mean look at the 180 TJ turned this season after last season and the preseason.
Old 09-15-2006   #10
DontTreadOnMe
Rookie

for sure man,... i think TJ looks great.. im really pumped about his recent play, and if mario and weaver can get it going, we can have a pretty formible d-line... i hope mario continues to use his bull rush as his predominate pash rush method... i think thats how he'll dominate, it'll just take a wee bit of time to put it all together.. upp, uppp, and awwwway ,...haha
DontTreadOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #11
Dawgnme
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Dawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario's bull rush is what keeps getting him stood straight up. Runyan stayed under his armpits (and had a nice hold on his shoulder pads on more than one occasion) all game. Mario's got to adopt a swim move and get his outside leg wider than whatever tackle he faces. All in time, my friends, all in time. Did you hear Ditka say the Texan's don't need to concentrate Mario on one position? He said they need to exploit the other team's weaknesses. Hang in there with old St. Pius - he'll take us there. I just hope I can afford to keep on paying for these tickets until he does!
Old 09-15-2006   #12
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgnme
Mario's bull rush is what keeps getting him stood straight up. Runyan stayed under his armpits (and had a nice hold on his shoulder pads on more than one occasion) all game. Mario's got to adopt a swim move and get his outside leg wider than whatever tackle he faces. All in time, my friends, all in time. Did you hear Ditka say the Texan's don't need to concentrate Mario on one position? He said they need to exploit the other team's weaknesses. Hang in there with old St. Pius - he'll take us there. I just hope I can afford to keep on paying for these tickets until he does!
good post.

On NFL Sirius Radio they said what Kubiak was doing is making sure Mario becomes the complete NFL Package. They said the Texans could turn him loose as just a pass rusher and he would look great, but they want him to be a lot more than that, a true force at every position. They claimed in the long run it was going to pay huge dividends for the Texans and in no time Mario will be the bully on the block, and would be a game changer.

lets hope so.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
good post.

On NFL Sirius Radio they said what Kubiak was doing is making sure Mario becomes the complete NFL Package. They said the Texans could turn him loose as just a pass rusher and he would look great, but they want him to be a lot more than that, a true force at every position. They claimed in the long run it was going to pay huge dividends for the Texans and in no time Mario will be the bully on the block, and would be a game changer.

lets hope so.
Yeah all I can do at this point is trust Kubiak's judgement. Capers had 4 seasons I'm not going to give up on Kubiak or Mario after one game even though I think we looked better as a team in our first real game under Kubiak than we did all of last season under Capers. I just hope Mario becomes a force to be reckoned with in the near future.

Last edited by texan279; 09-15-2006 at 02:24 AM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #14
Sco-tai
Veteran

Cpt. Obvious.

Thanks. We wouldn't have known reality without you.

No. Really. Thanks.

Are you sure you don't have some grass to tell "Grow, you bastard!'

:brickwall
Old 09-15-2006   #15
Dawgnme
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Dawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respectedDawgnme is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco-tai
Cpt. Obvious.
I hope it is obvious... to Mario.
Old 09-16-2006   #16
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
good post.

lets hope so.

While I have lots of trust in Kubiak and the rest of the gang, I am personally against this plan. I would like Mario to just stay outside at defensive end and do his thing there. We can get defensive linemen elsewhere, Mario doesn't have to do everything. I personally would like to have that one killer end (that I hope Mario will be) such as a Julius Peppers or Michael Strahan that can just tear up an offensive line.

While it WAS on ESPN and all...they did address Mario's situation and they said that it was hurting him more than it was helping him to move him around to different positions. They said offensive linemen love to go up against a guy who's not at his most comfortable position because it gives them an advantage. May not be worth much considering the source...but in my opinion its a good point.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD
While it WAS on ESPN and all...they did address Mario's situation and they said that it was hurting him more than it was helping him to move him around to different positions. They said offensive linemen love to go up against a guy who's not at his most comfortable position because it gives them an advantage. May not be worth much considering the source...but in my opinion its a good point.
What do you think about moving Joppru from Tightend to full back??

Or tacking Putz from the tightend spot, and moving him to WR??

How about Vernand(or whatever running back we end up with) motioning from TB to WR...??

Does these moves help, or hinder your offense?? Is it too much to ask these offensive players to learn new roles??

I understand Mario will have a steeper learning curve, but let's not sell the kid short. He had a better game, moving from position to position, & from side to side) than JuliusPeppers did his first game, against weaker competition.

& the only thing stopping Mario from having 3 sacks yesterday, was Mario. He was in the backfield, I count, 3 times with an unabated path to McNabb, trying to figure out what he should do. Negating McNabb's mobility, if Mario would've been focused, McNabb would've been eating Texas Dirt.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #18
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
What do you think about moving Joppru from Tightend to full back??

Or tacking Putz from the tightend spot, and moving him to WR??

How about Vernand(or whatever running back we end up with) motioning from TB to WR...??

Does these moves help, or hinder your offense?? Is it too much to ask these offensive players to learn new roles??

Moving Joppru from TE to FB I don't agree with unless it's a permanent move. I say that because I believe that a good fullback is a big guy who does the blocking and doesn't get many touches of the ball (I happen to prefer the Lorenzo Neal old school FB's myself) and I don't really like interchanging a position such as that.

Motioning a TE or RB to WR isn't a big deal to me. Putzier is mostly a pass catching TE anyways, so I don't really see enough of a difference between having him up with the linemen or 5 or so yards off the line. The RB's job is to run, catch and block...so I think it's a similar situation to the TE's.

I just think we should keep Mario in his natural position and let him grow. I understand the idea behind shifting him around...it's just not my thing, personally.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read