Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2006   #1
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat
Default Worst move yet?

I everybodys opinion, when did we make our biggest mistake.

My opinion is the expansion draft.
James Allen, Tony Boselli, MATT STEVENS enough said

We passed on some major guys too. Casserly said no one over thirty, so we passed on a lot of talented offensive lineman and linebackers. we could have loaded that team.
Old 09-13-2006   #2
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasting a 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

biggest mistake was Babin IMO.

dont get me wrong, I like Babin and im glad we have him.. but the price was too high for what we got. There were a lot of good players taken in the second and third round of the 2004 draft.

Second biggest would be letting Aaron Glenn go. He hasnt done a whole lot with Dallas.. but he did do a whole lot here in our System. The year we let him go..he DID look like he had lost a step.. but Dunta looked great across from Glenn, and we had a very effective secondary. I dont regret getting Buchanan.. but id rather have kept them both.

Third biggest would be moving McKinney to center rather than getting a real center.

4th would be focusing on skill positions in the draft, rather than olinemen and dlinemen. Nevermind..this one is #1..move the others down a notch.

5th was Vic Fangio.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Bygones. No interest in. But as a matter of historical horror....

Who did we pass up who was a can't miss?

Boselli passes the physical, Roaf does not. Interesting alternative universe if the reverse hold true.

The problem with the expansion draft is by the time the Texans became a franchise, teams had figured out the salary cap. So most of the players exposed were guys that weren't worth the salary they were getting. If we wanted to get better quality guys, we had to take salary dump guys too (which was a part of the Boselli deal, BTW).

Out of all the recent expansion franchises, the Texans got the worst deal.
Old 09-13-2006   #5
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

dont get me wrong, I like Babin and im glad we have him.. but the price was too high for what we got. There were a lot of good players taken in the second and third round of the 2004 draft.

Second biggest would be letting Aaron Glenn go. He hasnt done a whole lot with Dallas.. but he did do a whole lot here in our System. The year we let him go..he DID look like he had lost a step.. but Dunta looked great across from Glenn, and we had a very effective secondary. I dont regret getting Buchanan.. but id rather have kept them both.

Third biggest would be moving McKinney to center rather than getting a real center.

4th would be focusing on skill positions in the draft, rather than olinemen and dlinemen. Nevermind..this one is #1..move the others down a notch.

5th was Vic Fangio.

DITTO
Old 09-13-2006   #6
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Don't forget, most importantly, these were the Dum Capers and Charlie Casserly days with his glasses sitting sideways on his face and fogged up.....saying we need to execute some more........ every sunday night on CH. 13........Jermaine Lewis what happend to him. The Texans 2002 yearbook states one of the most electrifying return men in the game..........what were they drinking when they wrote that..... I did like Jamie Sharper, I believe he was a true veteran like A. Glen that provided somekind of foundation for the Texans.........but who know's
Old 09-13-2006   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

5th was Vic Fangio.
I'd replace Babin with Hollings, but agree with the list for the most part. I like Babin and what he's done. Well worth the deal, IMO. It may not have been a great deal, but the guys we could've picked up instead would mean that we kept Capers and Kubiak would have signed with the Raiders or Green Bay.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2006   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Bygones. No interest in. But as a matter of historical horror....

Who did we pass up who was a can't miss?

Boselli passes the physical, Roaf does not. Interesting alternative universe if the reverse hold true.

The problem with the expansion draft is by the time the Texans became a franchise, teams had figured out the salary cap. So most of the players exposed were guys that weren't worth the salary they were getting. If we wanted to get better quality guys, we had to take salary dump guys too (which was a part of the Boselli deal, BTW).

Out of all the recent expansion franchises, the Texans got the worst deal.
Yeah, Boselli passed the same "physical" that Gado is getting: Free and clear, you're rrrrrready to play, Samkon!

We had to take Boselli and his salary to get Payne and Walker. Man, those Jags owe us big time.

We are the freaking floormat of the NFL: Hey, need to rid yourself of some big cap hits...or perhaps you have an injured and aging veteran to quietly ship off your team? Look no further: The Texans are taking all applications (You CANNOT be turned down!), with our special team of physicians to administer that necessary "physical" to get the trade pushed through for good.

We don't need Reggie Bush. We've got tons of running backs coming through our doors every day! :brickwall
Old 09-13-2006   #9
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Yeah, Boselli passed the same "physical" that Gado is getting: Free and clear, you're rrrrrready to play, Samkon!

We had to take Boselli and his salary to get Payne and Walker. Man, those Jags owe us big time.

We are the freaking floormat of the NFL: Hey, need to rid yourself of some big cap hits...or perhaps you have an injured and aging veteran to quietly ship off your team? Look no further: The Texans are taking all applications (You CANNOT be turned down!), with our special team of physicians to administer that necessary "physical" to get the trade pushed through for good.

We don't need Reggie Bush. We've got tons of running backs coming through our doors every day! :brickwall
Stop your killing me my ribs are hurting bad from laughing.....I love the way you put it though..........Honey time to buy a new doormat for the front of the house.........have some new players coming over for dinner tonight...
Old 09-13-2006   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Dom Capers.
Old 09-13-2006   #11
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
Dom Capers.

Speaking of Dom what is he up to now a days? Anyone know?

I was thinking more along these lines.....
Old 09-13-2006   #12
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

On January 23, 2006, the Miami Dolphins announced the hiring of Dom Capers as the team's defensive coordinator. There, he will also serve as assistant head coach under Nick Saban.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Capers
Old 09-13-2006   #13
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Thanks for the quick info Dragon..........
Old 09-13-2006   #14
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Drafting Jabar Gaffney. That wasn't the worst personnal move, but the very next pick, the Broncos selected Clinton Portis...

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #15
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat

but we had james allen remember. seems like dude only 5 snaps before he was done
Old 09-13-2006   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoRat
but we had james allen remember. seems like dude only 5 snaps before he was done
Didn't he leave to persue a singing career or something?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #17
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Drafting Jabar Gaffney. That wasn't the worst personnal move, but the very next pick, the Broncos selected Clinton Portis...
why don't you get your facts straight before you bring up that played out fact up AGAIN. it went pitts, then portis with next pick in the middle of the second. thanks for bringing that up. so what o-line was portis going to run behind again?
Old 09-13-2006   #18
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

1. hiring casserly
2. who hired dom
3. who mad this team into "doormat of the nfl" because all the chances we got in the nfl drafts have been wasted on players that cant cut it so we take other teams scrubs over our own
4. who let go jamie sharper and aaron glenn
5. who makes me read a lot of nonsense on this message board
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #19
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

P. Buch for our 2nd and 3rd round picks
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #20
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i wasnt a football fan when the Houston Texans started so the worst move while i have been a fan, has been passing on Derrick Johnson
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read