Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2006   #1
fastpitchwoof
Rookie

Default 0-1 this year is not the same as 0-1 last year

I know we lost last week and we did not look like a contender.

But remember how bad we felt after 3:00pm last year on opening day. This year's Texans are far better than last year's Texans. WE HAVE STARTED OVER! It will take some time. My god, at least this year we can move the ball. It was even against a superior opponent (this year's Eagles vs last year's Bills). This year's Texans would soundly defeat last year's Texans. Isn't that progress? Isn't that what we want?

Too many people on this board want a video game fix with cheat codes. Real life doesn't work like that. How many teams have instant success when a new system is brought in. Hell, forget the system, we have replaced well over half of the starters.

I don't know how many of the Texan's players or coaches read these boards. But if you are, I support you. I am a fan. I do not like to lose. I want to embarrass Dallas. But I do realize that this will take some time and I support the Texans
Old 09-13-2006   #2
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It is really hard to see if this team is better than last year's team. Unless there is some serious improvement in the next few weeks, this team will be looking for it's first victory on the road at Tennesse against Vince Young. I feel pretty confident Vince will be starting that game if the Texans are 0-6.

If you think about it, Kubiak's play calling wasn't that much different from Capers and company. Defenses are still stacking the line to stuff the run and blitz Carr. And that will not stop until they make defenses pay for that strategy.

Outside of the opening drive (I cringe at the thought if they hadn't put that drive together), this team was very similar to last year's squad. The offense over the past two and half years has done nothing in the second half and you could probably make the arguement they never have since the beginning back to 2002.

Kubiak needs to start making the right play calls to burn defenses for their strategy and let's see if these guys can execute. If they fail, they fail. We already know the Texans are going to lose if they keep calling the same tired old plays on offense because that is at best good for 17 points. Does this sound famaliar?
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #3
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
It is really hard to see if this team is better than last year's team. Unless there is some serious improvement in the next few weeks, this team will be looking for it's first victory on the road at Tennesse against Vince Young. I feel pretty confident Vince will be starting that game if the Texans are 0-6.

If you think about it, Kubiak's play calling wasn't that much different from Capers and company. Defenses are still stacking the line to stuff the run and blitz Carr. And that will not stop until they make defenses pay for that strategy.

Outside of the opening drive (I cringe at the thought if they hadn't put that drive together), this team was very similar to last year's squad. The offense over the past two and half years has done nothing in the second half and you could probably make the arguement they never have since the beginning back to 2002.

Kubiak needs to start making the right play calls to burn defenses for their strategy and let's see if these guys can execute. If they fail, they fail. We already know the Texans are going to lose if they keep calling the same tired old plays on offense because that is at best good for 17 points. Does this sound famaliar?
I've posted pretty much the same thoughts but am not surprised that others act like everything is 'hunky dory.' Afterall, these are the same ones that ignored the 'warning' signs of the Caper's fiasco and waited till the team 'blew up' before the went off.

IMO, part of the problem is these posters that think everything is 'great' never say anything to back it up, always injecting time and some form of 'gel.' Hey, you think the team is better this year after 1 game? Why?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #4
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
I've posted pretty much the same thoughts but am not surprised that others act like everything is 'hunky dory.' Afterall, these are the same ones that ignored the 'warning' signs of the Caper's fiasco and waited till the team 'blew up' before the went off.

IMO, part of the problem is these posters that think everything is 'great' never say anything to back it up, always injecting time and some form of 'gel.' Hey, you think the team is better this year after 1 game? Why?
Yeah, I don't get it either with some of these people.

They say we played so much better than last year against the Bills, and the Eagles are a better team.

In my eyes, the Bills kicked our butts that game and the Eagles did the same last Sunday. What else is there too discuss?
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #5
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

The 2nd half was brutal, I admit. But for some reason, despite being 2 td's down, I still felt like there was at least SOME chance of getting back in it.

That's more than I can say for any game in which we were trailing under the previous regime.
Old 09-13-2006   #6
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1035 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan

I understand your frustration, but keep in mind Kubiak is still looking for an identity for his team. Right now is not the time for us to worry about wins and losses...it's time for us to worry about overall improvement. Remember what happened last year in Nick Saban's first year? They started out 3-7...and after he continually defended himself against the press about how wins don't matter in the first year...they went 6-0 and finished 2nd in the AFC East.

If you expect us to all of a sudden have a winning, championship caliber team, then your expectations are unrealistic. It'll take some time to build us a great team...but when that time comes around, we'll be strong contenders every year.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #7
tsip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD
I understand your frustration, but keep in mind Kubiak is still looking for an identity for his team. Right now is not the time for us to worry about wins and losses...it's time for us to worry about overall improvement. Remember what happened last year in Nick Saban's first year? They started out 3-7...and after he continually defended himself against the press about how wins don't matter in the first year...they went 6-0 and finished 2nd in the AFC East.

If you expect us to all of a sudden have a winning, championship caliber team, then your expectations are unrealistic. It'll take some time to build us a great team...but when that time comes around, we'll be strong contenders every year.
Sorry, no one mentioned winning in the above posts, another wrong assumption. The discusssion is about the team playing better/not better/same and backing up that opinion with 'reason.'
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2006   #8
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpitchwoof
I know we lost last week and we did not look like a contender.

But remember how bad we felt after 3:00pm last year on opening day. This year's Texans are far better than last year's Texans. WE HAVE STARTED OVER! It will take some time. My god, at least this year we can move the ball. It was even against a superior opponent (this year's Eagles vs last year's Bills). This year's Texans would soundly defeat last year's Texans. Isn't that progress? Isn't that what we want?

Too many people on this board want a video game fix with cheat codes. Real life doesn't work like that. How many teams have instant success when a new system is brought in. Hell, forget the system, we have replaced well over half of the starters.

I don't know how many of the Texan's players or coaches read these boards. But if you are, I support you. I am a fan. I do not like to lose. I want to embarrass Dallas. But I do realize that this will take some time and I support the Texans
Good Post. I understand that!
Old 09-13-2006   #9
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1035 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
Sorry, no one mentioned winning in the above posts, another wrong assumption. The discusssion is about the team playing better/not better/same and backing up that opinion with 'reason.'

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I meant to say that he's still searching for an identity and that could very well be what is with the "bland" play calling. Remeber...it's only his first game as a head coach. Coaches can get nervous and start making conservative play calls. Personally, I think he did as well as he could with how the o-line was playing.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #10
tsip
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I meant to say that he's still searching for an identity and that could very well be what is with the "bland" play calling. Remeber...it's only his first game as a head coach. Coaches can get nervous and start making conservative play calls. Personally, I think he did as well as he could with how the o-line was playing.
...don't forget, Kubiak is not the only 1st time HC this year as there are 7 others-- 4 won, 1 lost by 2 pts against playoff team, 1 lost by 3 pts against SB loser--the new HC from GB had a rougher day than Gary.
Old 09-13-2006   #11
srstex
Veteran

I have said many times before, and posted this Monday after the game, Kubiak called plays that Capers and company called last year. The first series we passed for 65 yards, 10 yards on penalties and the rest running, +/- came to +2 yards. After we went up 7 to 0 Kubiak went to the ground and ran us to our first loss of the season, if he continues to Run first, there is no reason to watch.
I hope my wife has a long honey-do list so I can keep my mind and eyes off the game.

Hopes & dreams
Old 09-13-2006   #12
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat

Quick question. Will 0-3 be the same as last year? Though I must admit, if the Vikings can beat the Redskins, than we definitely have a chance. 1-2 Maybe? Just a little hope?
Old 09-13-2006   #13
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoRat
Quick question. Will 0-3 be the same as last year? Though I must admit, if the Vikings can beat the Redskins, than we definitely have a chance. 1-2 Maybe? Just a little hope?
The Vikings are better the people give them credit for, now am I saying that they are a superbowl team right now? No, but I think they are at least a middle of the pack team. Vikings = underrated this year. On the other side of the field, we have the Redskins, without portis they are WAYYYY overrated(Not playoffs like some "experts" think), but still a decent team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read