Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2006   #121
Dunta_23
All Pro

I personally am not sure what to think of this deal...Ive always liked Morency and liked what he did late last year and in this preseason..I feel he was never given a shot to be the # 1 here and it seems unless you were a "Kubiak guy" that you dont have much of a chance....I wouldnt say Gado is "proven" just yet....he has a 4.1 ypc and 6 touchdowns last year....nothing overwhelming....I really would have liked to see Morency play a couple games as the starter before dealing him off.....as a Texans fan I will cheer for Samkon but in a way home Morency blows up in GB and does awesome..ah well
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #122
BattleRed37
Rookie

It don't matter what runningbacks the Texans have. It all start up front, the O-Line. If the O-Line play like last week game Lundy, Dayne and Gado going to put up 70 yards combine.
BattleRed37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #123
Divebomb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Morency does have that second gear. I don't get where some are getting Gado is faster than Morency.
Morency ran 4.57 Gado ran 4.46, Gado has broken off huge runs in live NFL games, Morency has not. Gado is faster!
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #124
Divebomb
Veteran

Morency will be a kickoff return and special teamer in GB. Green is healthy, so odds are that Morency will never touch the ball.
Old 09-13-2006   #125
Frills
Veteran

I know this assumption is way out there, but I'm guessing Sherman knows what he can and can't do.

I trust Sherman more than I trust a crap offensive coordinator who could only beat the last coaching staff by 3 points
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #126
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Tack another one of our first day pick that are not on the team anymore...

I think we need to be looking for some safety help.
Yes but if the player we traded him for sticks then I'm not going to be too upset about this.

Honestly I think that Ron Dayne is going to be carrying the majority of the load before too long. I think that signing was far more significant than most of you believed at the time.

Ron Dayne started the preseason as the #1 back in Denver and sometime around the 4th-6th week he'll be the #1 back here (for what that's worth) barring Gado busting out.

The coaches clearly decided that Morency wasn't going to be their guy. Lundy might be but for now he's just holding to spot down. Same with Taylor. Wali Lundy will get the chance to hang on to the job and I believe that both Gado and Dayne will be given an equal opportunity to take it away from him. I bet Dayne does it.
Old 09-13-2006   #127
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
And if you want to look at stats, take a look at Gado's preseason stats...

27 carries for 65 yards for a 2.4 YPC average.

Preseason doesnt count......

But the only stat we really need to look at are the Ws. He got 2 out of 5.
thats half of the games GB won. Apparently he made a difference.

the teams were at home v.detroit, and away @ atlanta.

Just a better resume. He got a chance to show off and he did. Morency didnt get a chance, which shouldnt be held against him as not being worthy.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2006   #128
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 16 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
People on these boards seriously need to get over where these guys were drafted, because it's irrevelent. The only thing that matters is their talent and their potential. I'm personally very excited about this trade because I saw Gado play last year and he performed quite well, and I feel that he's proven more at this point.
There is a lot invested in the draft system. I know Gado has performed well. All I'm saying is if I were Green Bay I would make the trade too...especially since he's like their third back.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #129
Divebomb
Veteran

My bad he ran a 4.43 40yd. This is a great article about Samkon Gado!

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/spor...2273&ntpid=251
Old 09-13-2006   #130
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
Morency ran 4.57 Gado ran 4.46, Gado has broken off huge runs in live NFL games, Morency has not. Gado is faster!
Old college 40 times mean nothing. Gado had 3 runs over 20 yards last season in 143 carries. Morency had 2 carries over 20 yards last season on 46 carries.
Old 09-13-2006   #131
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is weird. I thought like many here that Morency was pretty good. Gado was good last year, but there are reasons for him not being drafted. Well, so was Priest Holmes, so people do get skipped. However, it still seems like we are getting the shaft.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #132
Divebomb
Veteran

I think if Sherman had another year in GB that Gado would be the #2 hands down after the cut of Davenport.
Old 09-13-2006   #133
Frills
Veteran

Last week Gado avg 19 yds on 3 KO returns.
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #134
TommyS
Veteran

Default ted thompson is a moron

giving a live presser, he doesnt know jack about morency. stats, weight, injuries, nothing. he said he watched film of morency but couldnt tell if we were running the zone blocking scheme - he said he couldnt tell the difference, that he didnt know.

but - he thinks morency's a good change of pace from the backs they have now (green, herron).

has good things to say about Gado, only that he wasnt as productive in the preseason as he wouldve liked. good character guy by the sounds of things.

apparently it has been talked about for a while and just happened today.
TommyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #135
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Gado did great last year for the Packers. I think we all liked Morency and wish him luck in the NFL he was a great back. There was something obviously that Kubiak didn't like about him however. And Sherman must have had a hand in this deal.

At least with Gado I know what he brings to the table. I hope no one is freaking out over this I think it was a good trade for both sides. Just sort of hoping that it doesn't bite us in the butt.

Welcome to the Texans Gado!
Old 09-13-2006   #136
Snapple
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Ron Dayne started the preseason as the #1 back in Denver and sometime around the 4th-6th week he'll be the #1 back here (for what that's worth) barring Gado busting out.
Actually, Mike Bell was the starter by the first preseason game. And the fact that Dayne fell all the way to 4th on their depth chart should be much more telling than where they thought he would be at the beginning of the off-season.

And I seriously can't believe people are arguing using pre-season stats. If you would rather have the guy who does well in the preseason than the guy who does well in the regular season, then great. Maybe one day, we'll have the best preseason, worst regular season team ever. We'll celebrate our throne as preseason national champions.
Snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #137
real

How much cap space did we get ?
Old 09-13-2006   #138
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple
Actually, Mike Bell was the starter by the first preseason game. And the fact that Dayne fell all the way to 4th on their depth chart should be much more telling than where they thought he would be at the beginning of the off-season.

And I seriously can't believe people are arguing using pre-season stats. If you would rather have the guy who does well in the preseason than the guy who does well in the regular season, then great. Maybe one day, we'll have the best preseason, worst regular season team ever. We'll celebrate our throne as preseason national champions.
Well we have only really seen Morency in the preseason, and forget the stats, this preseason he was our best back hands down.
Old 09-13-2006   #139
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I just threw up in my mouth.

We have the Colts on Sunday, that should be the only objective at the moment.

Mmmm, Sonic Double Cheeseburger.
Old 09-13-2006   #140
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel

Honestly I think that Ron Dayne is going to be carrying the majority of the load before too long. I think that signing was far more significant than most of you believed at the time.
Thats what I keep saying but no one listens.

Dayne was a huge pick up. He has size and speed and already knows the system. Not to mention he is a vet with starting experience unlike the rest of our backfield. The only question is can he catch.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read