Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2006   #361
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Morency is a quick, elusive, agile runner without good speed. That should sum it up to the GB fan
Old 09-14-2006   #362
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

honestly dabeene.. say what ya will about Gado.. I dont really care if the only rock he was capable of holding last season was Favre's superbowl ring while he took a shower.. fact of the matter is that Kubiak wanted Gado, and Kubiaks a smart guy.

Gado's performance last season is a nice bonus.. but the fact that Kubiak wanted him tells me alot more about Gado than whatever numbers you can dig up, or eyewitness accounts that the Green Bay fans can give.

Kubiak has been the mastermind behind a prolific running game for nigh on a decade, and if he says Gado can play.. ill give him the benefit of the doubt.

heh.. im gonna need vasoline and a crowbar to pry my lips from kubes butt after this post.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #363
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeene1
It is true that gado was able to outrun a cb. But did you look who the cb is?

McQuarters, So fast and talented that he has played for 3 teams in 3 years.
He takes to many risks going for the int and is always out of postion which is why teams dont keep him.
He came running up and was out of postion. Gado didnt outrun him because he is so fast, he out ran him becuase he had a 5 yard or so head start and quarters couldnt make it up. Dont get me wrong he is fast as a average rb is, but he does not have elite speed.
At one point in the run McQ is almost even with him and then Gado pulls away. By no means is he the fastest back in the league but he is far faster than you make out with a statement like he will not outrun anyone. He does have better speed than many NFL RB's especially in comparison to interior RB's. Like I said, not likely to light up the league but a solid interior runner with the potential for some good open field runs.
Old 09-15-2006   #364
Astonishment
Rookie

There seems to be allot of misconceptions here about Gato's game. If you don't mind I will try to give you a scouting report from a Packer's fan side. Hopefully someone could return the favor and do the same with Morency, because we seem to have the same misconception problem with someone calling Morency a scat back than he is a slower straight-line runner.

Overview:
Gato was definitely a bright spot on an otherwise dark season for the Packers last year. After Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport had season ending injuries the Packers were forced to turn to Favre to with offense, and the result was terrible (with an Eagle-type run to pass ratio)...until they played Gato. Part was an offensive line that improved throughout the year, part was the opposing teams focus shift to forcing Favre into mistakes, and part was Gato. In the end it is still in doubt how much was the first two factors and how much was Gato.

The part of Gato that is undisputable is that he is a great, great person and a really hard worker. However he was never a starter at any point in his short career until he filled in as the Packers 5th running back last season (yes 5 is correct - Green, Davenport, Fischer, and Lee were all tried before Gato). At some point there is a reason he has always been a backup.

Positives:
Gato is a very smart player, and as mentioned before a very hard worker. Once he gets into the open he has good, but not great open field speed. He won't pull away from many players, but he won't get caught from behind either. He is very patient and has a no-nonsense type approach to running. He won't do much dancing. Gato really accels by following his lead blocker especially on off-tackle and counter running plays. Gato will also play within the scheme - if the hole is supposed to be in gap "A", Gato will hit gap "A".

Negatives:
In spite of Gato's good open field speed, he has below average acceleration. As a defender if you want to stop Gato, just force him to make a cut. 1/2 the time he will go down by himself, the other half the time the blockers are already half way down the field by the time he gets out of the cut. All right that was an exaggeration, but his ability to make cuts is not pretty. It is true that Gato emulates Okoeye, but he will never push a pile like Okoeye did nor does he even fall forward like Dayne does. This isn't a knock on Gato's heart, but he rarely wins in trying to push for that extra inch. As good as he is off tackle he struggles on toss's and sweeps (because of his lack of cutting ability - if your blocking is good enough so he can round out into a turn he will do great), and dives and delays (because of he lack of acceleration and power - again give him some blocking and he is fine if he can get going). In the end the reason Gato is no longer a Packer is because his skill set is completely counter to a zone blocking running back. He waits to long to make his decisions, doesn't have the ability to make the quick cut required, and doesn't hit the hole the hole fast enough due to his patient style/lack of acceleration.

Conclusion:
Even though the negative section is longer, it doesn't mean Gato is a bad back in fact it is quite the opposite. He is a good player and a great teammate, but he shouldn't be a starter and in a perfect world is your 3rd string running back. In a man-on-man blocking style he can even be a good spot starter, but is terrible in the zone blocking scheme. If your coach uses him right he can be a productive player for you.
Astonishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #365
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Morency is fast in every way. Not Reggie Bush fast, of course, but he is fast. If he doesn't dance around too much and if he does a good job in pass protection, which he has done and then reverted back to not doing it, he will be good--maybe very good. He's also big enough, but not what you'd call a big back. I'm not happy about losing him at all, but I'll have to see how things go. I don't know about your RB situation in GB, but Morrency could be a starter. I believe he will be by next year, unless you've got somebody real special that I'm forgetting about.

Others will have more to say about Morrency.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #366
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Morency is fast in every way. Not Reggie Bush fast, of course, but he is fast. If he doesn't dance around too much and if he does a good job in pass protection, which he has done and then reverted back to not doing it, he will be good--maybe very good. He's also big enough, but not what you'd call a big back. I'm not happy about losing him at all, but I'll have to see how things go. I don't know about your RB situation in GB, but Morrency could be a starter. I believe he will be by next year, unless you've got somebody real special that I'm forgetting about.

Others will have more to say about Morrency.
What about Amahn Green ?
Old 09-15-2006   #367
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
What about Amahn Green ?
Beets me.

I knew I was probably forgetting somebody obvious.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2006   #368
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Beets me.

I knew I was probably forgetting somebody obvious.
Not to knock on the Pack, but thier line is worse off than ours is/was. They've got 2 or 3 rooks starting on the line this year. I don't think it matters who's in the backfield, they're going to get put on the ground quickly.
Old 09-15-2006   #369
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
Not to knock on the Pack, but thier line is worse off than ours is/was. They've got 2 or 3 rooks starting on the line this year. I don't think it matters who's in the backfield, they're going to get put on the ground quickly.
I think both starting gaurds, and their Center are new...Im not sure if they are all rookies though...but thats a good point....
Old 09-15-2006   #370
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think both starting gaurds, and their Center are new...Im not sure if they are all rookies though...but thats a good point....
According to thier DC, the 2 guards are rooks. The center is a 3 year.

http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/
Old 09-15-2006   #371
Astonishment
Rookie

Quote:
Both starting guards are rookies, but our center started half of last year.
Old 09-15-2006   #372
Xman
Veteran

At least we are setting up a stable of cheap backups for the future. A true starter would be nice, but we can address that in the Draft or Free Agency.

Next years depth chart:

Adrian Peterson - stud RB or Free Agent Signing
Dayne - semi-cheap backup
Gado - cheap backup
Lundy - Cheap backup
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #373
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
Didn't Ahman Green bust a hundred yards last week? Against a very stout Bears defense...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #374
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm
Didn't Ahman Green bust a hundred yards last week? Against a very stout Bears defense...
By George! You're correct. I should've checked first.

http://www.packers.com/team/stats/2006/2006week1.pdf

There line is still bad though.
Old 09-15-2006   #375
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman
At least we are setting up a stable of cheap backups for the future. A true starter would be nice, but we can address that in the Draft or Free Agency.

Next years depth chart:

Adrian Peterson - stud RB or Free Agent Signing
Dayne - semi-cheap backup
Gado - cheap backup
Lundy - Cheap backup
Dayne, Gado, & Lundy can very well turn out to be starting quality studs before this is all over.

It's hard to remember, but people weren't always infatuated with Marshall Faulk, TikiBarber, and even Larry Johnson was being called a girl, and a baby by his coach.....

And who is Willie Parker again??
Old 09-15-2006   #376
Astonishment
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Dayne, Gado, & Lundy can very well turn out to be starting quality studs before this is all over.

It's hard to remember, but people weren't always infatuated with Marshall Faulk, TikiBarber, and even Larry Johnson was being called a girl, and a baby by his coach.....

And who is Willie Parker again??
This is a very good point, the Packers also got Ahman Green for a corner who was out of the league the next year. Good running backs seem to be diamonds in the rough more than other positions - Thurman Thomas and Terrell Davis are a couple more examples.
Old 09-15-2006   #377
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

ive been away all week...and couldn't believe this story...ive supported kubiak with all his other decisions but ive got to say- i hate this 1
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #378
Divebomb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5
ive been away all week...and couldn't believe this story...ive supported kubiak with all his other decisions but ive got to say- i hate this 1
Tell us, why do you hate this move? Is it because he(VM) played so well in the preseason or because he played like crap during week one?
Divebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #379
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
Tell us, why do you hate this move? Is it because he(VM) played so well in the preseason or because he played like crap during week one?

well there was a general consensus among this MB(including me) that he was our best overall RB- has speed, was doing what kubiak tells him-not dancing(also what kind of message is that to be sending out to other players-morency had done what he had been told but was still gotten rid of), could pass block...etc. just because we couldnt run last week-due to philly's d-line overpowering our o-line (not because he played 'crap') you shouldn't get rid of arguably your best RB because of it...it reeks of a desperation move despite kubiak saying the trade happened '5 minutes b4 the game'
gado, from what i saw of him last year, is honest but limited...hes not fast on film and his moves are limited...im trying to make sense of the move but i just dont see it...plus im down already from last weekend and my optimism is fading fast....to me it looks like vernand was let go instead of lundy because lundy was kubiak's pick and not because lundy was better than him and that stuff kinda makes me disillusioned and makes me wonder if kubiak is as great a coach as everybody says...........or maybe im just waaaaaay overreacting
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #380
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebomb
Yeah Lundy looked outstanding in week one...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read