Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2006   #341
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheGreat
my face lit up this morning when i opened the sports section of the Chron. this morning. I had no idea we pulled this off, we got a good deal. Now we have the speedster, the brusier, and the all purpose man. Think this would have taken 3 season for DC to pull off. Now if only we could get that C.C. Brown for Ed Reed trade.....
I dunno, under the previous regime we took care of it in 2 seasons by...

Drafting Jonathan Wells to get our bruiser, except that he ran like he weighed 190 and fell over as soon as you put a hand on him. Eventually he became a fairly average "all purpose back" though.

Drafting Tony Hollings in the supplemental draft to get our speedster, except of course that he could never really run away from anyone and fell over as soon as you put a hand on him)

Signing Stacy Mack to fill that bruiser role, except that he got himself some turf toe and lost his job to Domanick Davis, then found himself out of the league.

If you think about that staff would have had zero running game if they hadn't picked DD to return kicks and come in on third downs. It was just blind, stupid luck that he gave them around 3,000 yards the past three years.

Their one successful pick at RB was an accident. That about sums up their run.
Old 09-14-2006   #342
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
Why? Do you really think he could've done any better against Philly? IMO, I don't think so. I like what we've got. So cheer up little fella

i like what we got, but i just liked watchin DD break those big runs, and our running game would of been better against philly is he was here, but hopefully hes around next season
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #343
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsacamano
People need to stop freaking out about this deal. By next season, BOTH of these guys will be on their respective teams, but NEITHER will be a starter. Gado provides us with an everydown back who is capable of starting THIS season and maybe be a #2 in the following seasons. Morency gives GB a change of pace type back. IMO I like what I saw from Morency in the preseason, but let's face it, he is not an EVERY down type of back. This deal looks to be a wash for both teams.

What I DO like, is that Kubiak is constantly looking to do things that he thinks will improve the team. This is in direct opposition to Caper's style which was to stick with something/someone even when it was not working
Exactly.

The Texans are a work in progress.

I will not be suprised to see the roster 'tweaked' all year long.

Old 09-14-2006   #344
66cobra
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
i like what we got, but i just liked watchin DD break those big runs, and our running game would of been better against philly is he was here, but hopefully hes around next season
What big runs? DD had no breakaway speed. He was good for 4 yards and a cloud of dust, unless he caught a pass out of the backfield. I don't think he had too many runs over 25 yards and it seemed like whenever he broke open ahead of the defense, somebody would catch up to him and either drag him down or knock him out of bounds

I didn't think Morency was going to last long in Houston. This is because, in my opinion, even though there was an article saying he was working on "one cut and go", he still seemed to "dance" or even stutter step when he got the ball (especially in the last preseason game). Plus, his attempt at pass blocking was pathetic. Believe you me, I have seen enough football games and coached a few to know what I am talking about.
66cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #345
DayneBum
Rookie

Default f course he can.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
Thats what I keep saying but no one listens.

Dayne was a huge pick up. He has size and speed and already knows the system. Not to mention he is a vet with starting experience unlike the rest of our backfield. The only question is can he catch.
catch the ball.....Dever jut rarely throws to there rb's..He had2 cathces this preseason fo 20yds.And last preseason against u guys he had a spectacular 1 handed catch. Do u remeber. As a matter of fact he a had feild day on the Texans last preseason. He led all rushes.
DayneBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #346
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayneBum
catch the ball.....Dever jut rarely throws to there rb's..He had2 cathces this preseason fo 20yds.And last preseason against u guys he had a spectacular 1 handed catch. Do u remeber. As a matter of fact he a had feild day on the Texans last preseason. He led all rushes.
Who didn't have a field day against the Texans last year. I think there were a couple of teams that had multiple RBs with over 100 yards on the ground against us.
Old 09-14-2006   #347
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
Exactly.

The Texans are a work in progress.

I will not be suprised to see the roster 'tweaked' all year long.

Totally agree, this will not be the last roster move this season.......
Old 09-14-2006   #348
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

What kind of affect do you think this had on the team though?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #349
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
What kind of affect do you think this had on the team though?
That would be interseting to know as well. It could go two ways:
1) The players realize that if they do not produce the results that the staff is demanding, they will be cut/traded away and not be here any longer. This could light the motivation fire that some players may need to excel (although a multi-million dollar contract should be enough)

2) They realize that the staff is trying out a bunch of different things to see what will be successful and what won't and the players become unhappy because there is no "constant" every week. They also have the fear that they could be traded to another team that they don't want to be at and would have to uproot their family's, etc. This could take their minds off the work related requirments, such as game planning and focussing on the upcoming opponent.
Old 09-14-2006   #350
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm for the Gado/Morency trade but this kinda caught me by surprise:

But Gado has struggled to adjust to the zone-blocking scheme being run by new Packers coach Mike McCarthy -- interesting to note since Kubiak employs a similar scheme.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2586476

I'm hoping it's just more poor researched reporting.
Old 09-14-2006   #351
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Another piece of bad news: GB messageboard reports Gado is a poor to average blocker, reminiscent of VM and WL
Old 09-14-2006   #352
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Another piece of bad news: GB messageboard reports Gado is a poor to average blocker, reminiscent of VM and WL
I don't think I saw Morency miss one block in the preseason from what I remember.
Old 09-14-2006   #353
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I don't think I saw Morency miss one block in the preseason from what I remember.
What about the regular season ?
Old 09-14-2006   #354
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
What about the regular season ?
I didn't watch all of the game so I don't know, all I know is that Lundy whiffed on almost every block he tried to make in the preseason that I saw and 1 or 2 blocks last Sunday, that is what sticks out in my head when I think of Lundy.
Old 09-14-2006   #355
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

It was actually Morency who whiffed so badly on the block last Sunday, granted it was against a DL.

Morency looked good in the preseason, but coack K said he was having a lot of trouble in practice.
Old 09-14-2006   #356
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

The Packers are giving up on the athletically gifted Samkon Gado because they feel they need someone who can take some of the load off starter Ahman Green. Because neither Gado nor backup Noah Herron is quick enough to excel as a pass catcher, Vernand Morency, should be able to take on some of the load on passing downs.
-- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Old 09-14-2006   #357
pancho
Rookie

Default the system

I've had this deja vu feeling for awhile but don't know the right way to verbalize it. I'm reminded of the run and shoot guys that were married to the system, had a point to prove. Sure a fullback or a tight end would be nice in certain situations but then it would'nt be pure run and shoot, it would contaminate the scheme. We are appearing to want to try and prove to the world we can have a successful running game with a 6th round pick and a undrafted free agent. It appears to be another scheme of egos. I really hope not.
pancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #358
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

since yesterday the thread was like the autobahn and honestly after 8 pages, I couldn't keep up with this..

I dont' know much about Gado except for stats.. guys at work hated the move.. they do the fantasy football thing and yes I know it is different,but all I heard about was Gato only had one game that was worth a flip and everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

that is what they were talking about..

For me I haven't seen him play.. I almost feel that Kubiak is making a point of getting "HIS" guys in his system..
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #359
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeene1
Hey,

im a big time packer fan and i live in wi. i have never missed a game and know just bout everything bout gado. I came on here tryin to find more out but the new guy just to see everybody droolin over gado.

I was a gado fan just cause he was the only bright spot last year. But truth be told he isnt as fast as his forty times, if he does get through the line he cant outrun anybody.
After proof of trolldom the rest of the post became worthless. The clip posted earlier in the thread shows Gado outrunning a DB. Odds are against this being a monumental trade for either team but ... oh nevermind ... continue on.
Old 09-14-2006   #360
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1008 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, dabeene1 - you will get the whole gamut of opinions about Morency here from texan279 who is really upset we traded him and thought he wasn't given a fair chance to those that really don't think it was a big loss, but wish him well.

Morency has potential and perhaps he will be able to develop to his full potential in GB. Or he could remain a backup - time will tell.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read