Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2006   #181
green_bowl_packer
noob

Hello Texan fans, Packer fan here!!! Samkon Gado is big, fast, and a hell of a person, the kind that you want on your team. This trade most likely will be a wash for both teams, at least initially. You probably got the best of it since Gado is younger.

We didn't run the zone blocking last year, we ran a power gap system that Sherman liked with the U-71 stuff thrown in (tackle lines up as the TE) so that's where Gado made his yards last year. We had only switched to the zone blocking with McCarthy's staff this year. Gado and Herron were the only ones who participated in the OTA's and pre-season all the way through from May to August and he still couldn't pick up the zone blocking system with all the extra reps he was getting in Green and Davenport's absence. He also got some reps as a full back too when Henderson got hurt, but that expiriment didn't last too long.It's been said by the OC that he may be too intelligent for his own good, because he sits back there and analyzes the holes before he picks one and by then it's too late, evidenced by his 2 rushes for -7 yards.

And as for Sherman, I wouldn't put any weight in any personel recommendations he makes for you guys. He traded up to pick a punter in the 3rd round who is no longer in the league.
green_bowl_packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #182
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_bowl_packer
Hello Texan fans, Packer fan here!!! Samkon Gado is big, fast, and a hell of a person, the kind that you want on your team. This trade most likely will be a wash for both teams, at least initially. You probably got the best of it since Gado is younger.

We didn't run the zone blocking last year, we ran a power gap system that Sherman liked with the U-71 stuff thrown in (tackle lines up as the TE) so that's where Gado made his yards last year. We had only switched to the zone blocking with McCarthy's staff this year. Gado and Herron were the only ones who participated in the OTA's and pre-season all the way through from May to August and he still couldn't pick up the zone blocking system with all the extra reps he was getting in Green and Davenport's absence. He also got some reps as a full back too when Henderson got hurt, but that expiriment didn't last too long.It's been said by the OC that he may be too intelligent for his own good, because he sits back there and analyzes the holes before he picks one and by then it's too late, evidenced by his 2 rushes for -7 yards.

And as for Sherman, I wouldn't put any weight in any personel recommendations he makes for you guys. He traded up to pick a punter in the 3rd round who is no longer in the league.

Thanks on sharing your thoughts about him.
Old 09-13-2006   #183
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.sportscolumn.com/story/20...ove_This_Story!

little background on him growing up

Quote:
Samkon was clearly a great player, but he still wanted to be a missionary doctor in Nigeria. He decided to attend Liberty University, a Division I-AA university. Samkon was a solid running back in college, but he only started two games in his collegiate career. He played in thirty-nine games overall totaling twenty-two touchdowns on the ground and through the air during that time. His solid play as a backup running back, and his stellar play on special teams earned him a first-team All-Big South Conference pick. He was also on the all-conference academic team with a 3.66 GPA, and he graduated with a B.S. degree in health promotions.

This is where the Cinderella story really begins. What professional team would actually consider a backup running back from a small Christian School in Virginia? Samkon's coach at Liberty was Ken Karcher, a former backup quarterback to John Elway. Karcher was also an old friend with Al Saunders, the Chief's offensive coordinator. Saunders listened to Karcher's persistent pleas to give Samkon a chance. Saunders finally obliged and Samkon was invited to the Chief's training camp. Samkon really impressed the Chief's coaches and Saunders said that Samkon might be good enough to make it beyond training camp. Samkon was close to making the team, but he was put on the practice squad where he spent a few months. It probably didn't help that the people he was competing against were guys named Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #184
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure either team moved forward much with this move. Guess we will have to see how it plays out.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #185
12Gage
Rookie

Thumbs up

I like this trade. Morency never proved anything here, nothing. He has physical tools but hasn't converted them to rb skills. He has potential, but at 26 we can't wait for him to develop forever. Did anyone see our running game last week? And maybe Ron Dayne doesn't look as good as hoped. This guy Gado was one of the better rookie rbs last year. He has done more than Morency and is younger.
good enough trade
But as someone stated earlier this will add fuel to the "they should have took Bush" fire.
12Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #186
ghostlight
All Pro

Rep Power: 202 ghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to base my opinion on the positive replys in this thread. I beleive it is a good move based on the reading. I'm also trying to keep up with the Kubiak & Co. blue prints.
Old 09-13-2006   #187
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

I have blueprint for you

80% Denver + 20% Packers = New Texans
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2006   #188
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotCommander
I have blueprint for you

80% Denver + 20% Packers = New Texans
2 teams that played each other in a Super Bowl. I like that.
Old 09-13-2006   #189
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedRaider
2 teams that played each other in a Super Bowl. I like that.
9 seasons ago.
Old 09-13-2006   #190
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Gado is awesome! I watched him own the field last season for the Pack, and frankly...I love this switch! I do know Morency is good, but think Gado will be better!!!!!

GO TEXANS!!!!!!
GO PACK!!
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #191
IshouldbeGM
Rookie

This is not a bad deal in my opinion. It doesnt matter where either player was drafted, or not drafted. This is a new regime, vernand morency may have been a 3rd round pick, but he has performed like a 7th rd pick. The player value is equal . Gado excelled under mike sherman, if he's healthy, i expect him to do the same here. Great move by the texans!! We now have 2 big backs to wear down the defense...if this offensive line can be a little more physical, make less mistakes we can dominate with our run to set up the playaction just like we want!!
IshouldbeGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #192
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

if Gado has homerun speed..that is already an improvement over any RB we have had in the last few years.

Morency hadnt proven anything to me... I liked what I saw of him in preseason but it didnt translate to the field on gameday.

Kubiak has been teaching backs to hit the hole and run for years.. if Samkon is at all capable of being productive in a zone blocking scheme, we will find out here in Houston.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #193
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
9 seasons ago.
Hey, I'm just happy that I remember that, because I don't remember much as a 10-year-old.
Old 09-13-2006   #194
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Morency hadnt proven anything to me... I liked what I saw of him in preseason but it didnt translate to the field on gameday.
Did anything about the pre-season running game re-appear on game day? The blocking was horrific, and neither running back could do anything.
Old 09-13-2006   #195
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

I'm glad to see Morency go because he's always been to stubborn to get cleats that keep him from slipping all the damned time
Old 09-13-2006   #196
jgl35
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1760 jgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respectedjgl35 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gado had 111 yards on 26 carries in a loss against the Eagles last year. He was their best player that day.
jgl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #197
cbnjwill
Veteran

Default grasping at straws?

is this organiztion grasping at straws for runningback help or what? first we pass on bush because we have DD then hes done for the season. we bring in antwain smith and cut him draft walli lundy make him a starter pick up ron dayne off the scrap heap and in one last move trade for gado....... hmmmm they are really making their argument for passing on bush. whats next? bring spencer tillman out of retirement..
cbnjwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #198
DontTreadOnMe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl
GO TEXANS!!!!!!
GO PACK!!

alittle giddy today??? hahaha GO NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This might be a good trade... it sounds like the coaches in GB couldnt get through to Gado and im a believer in the idea that kubes can get it done with the right type of back (in that i mean, a non "superstar", but a system back).... but you never really know what could happen, hell... morency could go up to GB and be the next.... errrr...dare i say.... reggie bush??? hahaha j/k... this thread was lacking the RB.. it wouldnt be a texan thread without it... peace
DontTreadOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #199
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This trade is meaningless, just a sideways transaction.

The problem I see with the offense right now is coaching. Kubiak needs to call the right plays and then let's see if they can execute. This playing it safe crap is just like 2005 all over again.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #200
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Just gotta add my two cents...Of course only time will tell, but I think this could be a great trade for us. Morency never proved anything. Granted, he didn't get many chances but there has to be a reason for that.

Like many have already stated in this thread, Gado was a huge surprise for the Packers last year and very productive in his first NFL action. I recall watching him last year and being very surprised that this undrafted 5th-string RB was able to produce so well. Not only did he produce (granted it was limited action b/c of injury) but he produced on a team that wasn't much better than the Texans were last year....and he played for Sherman and w/ Flannigan FWIW. I'm not proclaiming this the "trade-of-the-year" yet...just saying don't go slitting your wrists thinking we got robbed (especially if you don't remember the way Gado ran last year.)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read