Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2006   #1
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My thoughts from game 1

I know this is a little late in coming, but I don't have a wealth of free time so it comes on Wednesday instead of Monday.

My thoughts from listening to the game on FieldPass:

1. The Zone Blocking system is designed to open up cutback lanes and give the RB some room to make a play or two. I didnít hear a single time where that was open. One of the backs found some room with a toss, but that was about it. Obviously, Philadelphia knew what to expect and J. Johnson found a way to counter it with defensive-line gap-discipline. His line also sounded like it was a lot better than Shermanís.
2. It sounded like Carr had a good grasp of the offense and what Kubiak wanted him to do. There were some cases where he was waiting and waiting, but they were less than I would have thought. This gives me some cause for optimism. He had some brain farts around the goal-line and the results were very last-year-esque (tackle for loss, sack, sack). So thatís something to work on.
3. Eric Moulds and Andre Johnson are awesome! What a combination. And as the running game gets it together, these two are going to bust out huge.
4. I didnít hear Joppruís name at all. (Looking at NFL.comís gamecenter confirms it). Iím sure he played special teams, but it would have been nice to see him get a few reps.
5. Why in the world was Lewis Sanders on the one Philadelphia Eagles receiver that did anything long? Granted, one of those long completions was said to be over Dunta, but McNabb and Reid saw something, obviously, and exploited it all day, with Sanders bringing up the rear constantly.
6. In the first half, Houstonís radio sideline reporter said that Mario wasnít getting pressure by himself, but that there was a lot more activity than before. I donít know what that means, but it sounds impressive, I guess. I heard a play where Babin and Peek met McNabb in the backfield and McNabb had to throw an incomplete pass. Itís nice to hear, but whenever they used the playaction (who the heck should Philadelphiaís play-action fool?) McNabb had all day to throw. That sounds like a case of too much thinking and not enough single-minded devotion to the elimination of an opposing quarterback.
7. Five sacks. Thatís way too much for this offense to be giving up. I refuse to accept that protection continues to be this big a problem. However, as long as it does, and Carr doesnít respond to blitzing with long completions and scores, opposing teams will continue to blitz and get gaudy sack numbers.
8. I was excited about how our team played early on and I look forward to more play like that.
9. GO TEXANS!
hadaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I counted 8 and sometimes 9 in the box at times and we still ran the ball even though we didn't have enough blockers to handle the close proximity of the defenders. I don't think the Eagles thought we could beat them deep with any regularity.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #3
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I counted 8 and sometimes 9 in the box at times and we still ran the ball even though we didn't have enough blockers to handle the close proximity of the defenders. I don't think the Eagles thought we could beat them deep with any regularity.
And that is where we went wrong in a nut shell. They didn't stop the pass, we did. We should have thrown the ball so much, they didn't even think we had "running" backs on the team. Sometimes you run to establish the pass, and then other times you have to pass to establish the run...
Old 09-13-2006   #4
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad
I know this is a little late in coming, but I don't have a wealth of free time so it comes on Wednesday instead of Monday.

My thoughts from listening to the game on FieldPass:

1. The Zone Blocking system is designed to open up cutback lanes and give the RB some room to make a play or two. I didnít hear a single time where that was open. One of the backs found some room with a toss, but that was about it. Obviously, Philadelphia knew what to expect and J. Johnson found a way to counter it with defensive-line gap-discipline. His line also sounded like it was a lot better than Shermanís. 2. It sounded like Carr had a good grasp of the offense and what Kubiak wanted him to do. There were some cases where he was waiting and waiting, but they were less than I would have thought. This gives me some cause for optimism. He had some brain farts around the goal-line and the results were very last-year-esque (tackle for loss, sack, sack). So thatís something to work on.
3. Eric Moulds and Andre Johnson are awesome! What a combination. And as the running game gets it together, these two are going to bust out huge.
4. I didnít hear Joppruís name at all. (Looking at NFL.comís gamecenter confirms it). Iím sure he played special teams, but it would have been nice to see him get a few reps.
5. Why in the world was Lewis Sanders on the one Philadelphia Eagles receiver that did anything long? Granted, one of those long completions was said to be over Dunta, but McNabb and Reid saw something, obviously, and exploited it all day, with Sanders bringing up the rear constantly.
6. In the first half, Houstonís radio sideline reporter said that Mario wasnít getting pressure by himself, but that there was a lot more activity than before. I donít know what that means, but it sounds impressive, I guess. I heard a play where Babin and Peek met McNabb in the backfield and McNabb had to throw an incomplete pass. Itís nice to hear, but whenever they used the playaction (who the heck should Philadelphiaís play-action fool?) McNabb had all day to throw. That sounds like a case of too much thinking and not enough single-minded devotion to the elimination of an opposing quarterback.
7. Five sacks. Thatís way too much for this offense to be giving up. I refuse to accept that protection continues to be this big a problem. However, as long as it does, and Carr doesnít respond to blitzing with long completions and scores, opposing teams will continue to blitz and get gaudy sack numbers.
8. I was excited about how our team played early on and I look forward to more play like that.
9. GO TEXANS!
You got it right! We lost this game because we lost the battle in the trenches! We had little to no pressure on them and they had alot of pressure on us, plus the fact we could not open holes for the RB's. It's as simple as that. If we could've opened those holes and established the run, I think the game would've had a better outcome. I just hope the O-Line improves this weekend or it will be another long day. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop
You got it right! We lost this game because we lost the battle in the trenches! We had little to no pressure on them and they had alot of pressure on us, plus the fact we could not open holes for the RB's. It's as simple as that. If we could've opened those holes and established the run, I think the game would've had a better outcome. I just hope the O-Line improves this weekend or it will be another long day. JMHO!
Steve McKinney said that the Eagles did many things we weren't prepared to handle. I don't think I ever heard them say we weren't prepared about Capers game plans. Just sayin'

You can't block 4 guys with 3 men or run when 9 are on the box. These are some simple situations that just don't compute mathematically. I think we may have been outcoached on top of not having the same talent level.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #6
srstex
Veteran

I have been saying this for the history of the team, Throw The Ball. No team in the league cares about our passing game, because if it works, we move on to the running game, and if the passing game doesn't work, we stay with the running game. We ran 47 plays 27 passing and 20 running,with about half the runs for little to no gain. If we pass the D has to keep Safties and/or LB back and that opens up the run, just pounding the ball gives the D the advantage, they know what you're going to do. On Sunday after the first score, it looked like Capers was calling the plays, the pass was working so Kubiak went to ground !
Doing the same thing the same way and expecting a different result is ( by definition ) insanity.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read