Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-13-2006   #1
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default What pageantry.

Is anyone else tired of all the bells and whistles the NFL is putting on this season? I haven't seen this much pomp and ostentation associated with early season football in a long time. It's as though the NFL wants the Super Bowl every saturday, sunday, and, soon, thursday. All of this ostentation almost makes me sick of football already. I cringe when i think of the spectacle that'll be this year's superbowl.

I wonder if the Manning brother's played last weekend. What do their parents look like? Was Mario Williams picked before Reggie Bush? Was Reggie even drafted? If so, then by whom?

I'll seriously consider quitting watching football the moment I see a referee with a fake tan.
Old 09-13-2006   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
I'll seriously consider quitting watching football the moment I see a referee with a fake tan.

We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL is a business.
A business must make a profit to continue.
To make a profit, a business must supply a product that appeals to as many people as possible.

Therefore, in order for the NFL to continue, it must supply a product that appeals to the masses.

A lot of people like hearing the backstory behind the mannnings, or knowing that both of Lundy's parents died, or reliving the draft hype. As such, the NFL will continue to do it, and will continue to exist.

Not too bad, imo
Old 09-13-2006   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Fox was the first to start all the bells and whistles when they got the NFC games. I remember all the whooshing sounds and robotic crap.

But I also remember that they were the first network to keep the score on the screen throughout the game.

You switch over to NBC back then to tune into the AFC game and it looked lame. Not to mention they didn't show the score except for going into commercial breaks.

When CBS started showing AFC games, they started using the yellow first down lines.

Madden and his chalkboard (or whatever they called it.) He drew a bunch of lines and circles all over the place.

I kind of agree with PD here. But then again, I think innovations are born from all the gadgetry. So I bear with it.
Old 09-13-2006   #5
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

I wonder what the ratings were for NBC's season kick-off show were. I can't imagine enough people watched that junk for NBC to think they're looking forward to next season so they can do it again.

IMO, that stuff has nothing to do with football and detracts from what it's suposed to be. I don't mind the back stories and what not but everything else is not/should not be part of the atmosphere.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #6
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Bull

i was waiting for someone to mention hochuli. too bad i like the guy.
Old 09-13-2006   #7
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 88272 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally like a lot of the background stories. What I don't like is crap like having Sabrina the Witch's cat talk about his suckola bets. A very low point in ESPN history.
Old 09-13-2006   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD Rivers
I personally like a lot of the background stories. What I don't like is crap like having Sabrina the Witch's cat talk about his suckola bets. A very low point in ESPN history.
Or the TO/Desperate Housewives MNF intro...
Old 09-13-2006   #9
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84705 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I like Ed Hochuli...he's one of the better officials.
I've got a buddy who is a high-school footbal ref. Football officials like most other professions have conventions. At these football officials conventions, high school, college and NFL officials rub elbows at some hotel for a couple of days. Anyway, my buddy says Ed Hoculi walks around like God's gift to referees snubbing his nose at all the others.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #10
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not saying I disagree, but I still hold a grudge over the home game we had against the Colts in '04. I mean, he makes good calls, BUT THAT WAS A FUMBLE!!!
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #11
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
I've got a buddy who is a high-school footbal ref. Football officials like most other professions have conventions. At these football officials conventions, high school, college and NFL officials rub elbows at some hotel for a couple of days. Anyway, my buddy says Ed Hoculi walks around like God's gift to referees snubbing his nose at all the others.
Eddie 'the Hawk' Hochuli is god's gift to refereeing.
Old 09-13-2006   #12
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat

I hate that in the past decade, they've cut down celebrations to essentially a high five on the sideline. Personally, I loved the Dirty Bird, and of course my all time favorite...T.O. dancing on the Dallas Star.

To quote Daniel Tosh: I don't care if he gets in the endzone and has a ten minute tea party. Just don't mad at me when you're paralyzed from the neck down gettin carted off the field cause some free safety took your head off and you see me in the stands going whoowhoohoo, YEAH Dance now you overpaid clown; How does it feel to know god hates you, dont worry maybe V-8 will sponsor a vegetable. Yeah I love defense, if you want points on the board move to Indianapolis and see what that gets you... Three points in a championship game and seven months to explain your quarterback.
Old 09-13-2006   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
Is there any other ref that the casual fan can name, or even recognize outside of uniform?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

hated him as a kid .. he was the reason the we lost to the squealers (that was my perception)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

the big production doesnt really bother me. Honestly I like it.. it makes the game feel more important.

I mean.. superbowls are fun BECAUSE of the big production. It feels like a big event. If a little bit of that "magic" can rub off on all the games, thats great... it makes watching a football game more exciting in my book.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #16
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

anyone else think that hochuli is juicing?
Old 09-13-2006   #17
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

I don't think that he's juicing so much as oiling. He probably uses a whole bottle of Johnson and Johnson's in his pregame ritual.
Old 09-14-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow--there is one I disagree with. Guy has a serious bent in favor of the playoff "favorites" IMO and that long predates the existence of the Texans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read