Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Have we improved from last year? Read here:

I know its way way way too early to do this, but I thought I'd post comparisons from game 1 of this year to game 1 of last year and finally to our averages from last year so we can see if we've improved.

PLEASE do not tell me I'm crazy to do this after 1 game. I realize this. But this is all the data we have to work with, and I love Texans football, can't stop thinking about it, and thus will do it anyways.

Game 1 2006---Game 1 2005---2005 Average

Offense:
Total Net Yards: 241---120---253
Pass Yards: 208---70---139
Rush Yards: 70---95---113
3rd down conversion%: 27%---21%----34%
Turnovers: 0---5---1.375

Defense:
Total Net Yards: 441---316---364
Pass Yards: 311---170---220
Rush Yards: 130---152---143.9
3rd down conversion%: 61.5%---22%---38.3%
Turnovers: 1---0---0.93

So before I checked the stats, I was sure we had improved. But if you substract that 1st drive, we looked just like the Texans of 2005. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, because I know its going to take time. And its great promise that we showed so much signs of life. PLUS this was the EAGLES not the BILLS so that makes a huge difference. Anyway, luckily all our games won't be against the Eagles. Go Texans!
Old 09-12-2006   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Miracles do not happen overnight. We've got a new coaching staff and a lot of guys starting this year did not start last season. We looked good preseason but it was preseason. I do not expect to see any huge improvement over last season until the middle of the season. Any real improvement before that to me would just be a nice surprise.
Old 09-12-2006   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But if you substract that 1st drive, we looked just like the Texans of 2005.
Unfortunately, in oh so many ways. 5 sacks being one of them.

Quote:
Anyway, luckily all our games won't be against the Eagles.
Yeah, they'll be against the Colts, Redskins, Dolphins, Cowboys and Jaguars the next few games...all teams with winning records last year and expectations of playoff appearances this year.

Nice stat compilation, though. It is interesting to compare between last year, just for sake of discussion.
Old 09-12-2006   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ah ha! This was the thread I was looking for:
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...hlight=improve

I think the reason so many of us were depressed at the end of the game was because our preseason showed so much improvement, yet as you can see by the numbers, our regular season seemed to die out again. The thread shows our preseason stats in a great way
Old 09-13-2006   #5
gtexan02
Working?

we were top 10 preaseason, bottom 10 regular.
Old 09-13-2006   #6
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Ignore whatever you see in the preseason. - Phil Simms

Take away the good drive and yes, Houston looks a lot like last year's team. But in defense of the Texans, last year's team didn't have that drive. This year's team did. That's an improvement, however scant.

We haven't turned the corner, but I can see the turn somewhere up ahead.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #7
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Improvements?

Defenitely...but they need to light a fire under that defense. a defenses job is to intimidate, crunch bones and scare the opponets to the point where they question their own game plan. The Texans aren't doing that yet, and if this is EVER going to be a winning team they're going to have to.

DH
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Ignore whatever you see in the preseason. - Phil Simms

Take away the good drive and yes, Houston looks a lot like last year's team. But in defense of the Texans, last year's team didn't have that drive. This year's team did. That's an improvement, however scant.

We haven't turned the corner, but I can see the turn somewhere up ahead.
Didn't they say the Eagles outscored their opponents by 171 in the first Quarter??

That didn't happen Sunday.... so we still have some good stuff to build on. We've got some things to work on, and they aren't that big a deal. Now that our front seven is better against the run than we were last year(we are), our DBs can be told to lay off the playfake.... & we won't have the Debacle we had Sunday.
Old 09-13-2006   #9
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001
Defenitely...but they need to light a fire under that defense. a defenses job is to intimidate, crunch bones and scare the opponets to the point where they question their own game plan. The Texans aren't doing that yet, and if this is EVER going to be a winning team they're going to have to.

DH

Welcome to the board DH!

While I agree with you that I would like to see an intimidating, bone-crunching defense, like the Steelers had back when they had Jack Ham and "Mean Joe Green," we have to remember this defense is very young and it's going to take time to mold them into that type of defense. I think Payne (10 yrs) may be the oldest player for the starting defense, and after that I think it's Lewis Sanders (7 yrs) and Greenwood (6 yrs) with most of the remaining starters being at 3 yrs or less. What I hope to see is steady improvement throughout the year for both offense and defense so that by midseason they are all playing well as a team and start winning consistantly. I don't know if that intimidating style of defense, that both you and I would like to see, will come this year, but it sure would be nice if it did! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #10
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover
Default Give the New Staff a Chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
I know its way way way too early to do this, but I thought I'd post comparisons from game 1 of this year to game 1 of last year and finally to our averages from last year so we can see if we've improved.

PLEASE do not tell me I'm crazy to do this after 1 game. I realize this. But this is all the data we have to work with, and I love Texans football, can't stop thinking about it, and thus will do it anyways.

Game 1 2006---Game 1 2005---2005 Average

Offense:
Total Net Yards: 241---120---253
Pass Yards: 208---70---139
Rush Yards: 70---95---113
3rd down conversion%: 27%---21%----34%
Turnovers: 0---5---1.375

Defense:
Total Net Yards: 441---316---364
Pass Yards: 311---170---220
Rush Yards: 130---152---143.9
3rd down conversion%: 61.5%---22%---38.3%
Turnovers: 1---0---0.93

So before I checked the stats, I was sure we had improved. But if you substract that 1st drive, we looked just like the Texans of 2005. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, because I know its going to take time. And its great promise that we showed so much signs of life. PLUS this was the EAGLES not the BILLS so that makes a huge difference. Anyway, luckily all our games won't be against the Eagles. Go Texans!
Did you post after the first game in Franchise history that the Texans would never lose a game? Did you predict that Billy Miller would score a touchdown every game? Did you predict that Gary Walker would be an animal on the defensive line for years to come?

Of course you didn't. You would have been laughed out of the message boards for being overreactive. Same thing here. It's only one game, under a new offensive and defensive scheme, with new players, and alot of rookies. Man, this Chcken Little...The sky is falling routine is getting so old. Give the new staff a fair chance. at least 6-8 games, before making any judgements.

P.S. The same thing holds true for judging.....
gjmac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #11
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Didn't they say the Eagles outscored their opponents by 171 in the first Quarter??

That didn't happen Sunday.... so we still have some good stuff to build on. We've got some things to work on, and they aren't that big a deal. Now that our front seven is better against the run than we were last year(we are), our DBs can be told to lay off the playfake.... & we won't have the Debacle we had Sunday.
Yes, it would be nice to let our DB's not have to worry about the playfake.
Indy uses a great playfake , but who knows how effective it will be w/o EJ.
They also have that fake draw that is so effective. Yikes!
Old 09-13-2006   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmac2
Did you post after the first game in Franchise history that the Texans would never lose a game? Did you predict that Billy Miller would score a touchdown every game? Did you predict that Gary Walker would be an animal on the defensive line for years to come?

Of course you didn't. You would have been laughed out of the message boards for being overreactive. Same thing here. It's only one game, under a new offensive and defensive scheme, with new players, and alot of rookies. Man, this Chcken Little...The sky is falling routine is getting so old. Give the new staff a fair chance. at least 6-8 games, before making any judgements.

P.S. The same thing holds true for judging.....
*insert sigh* Its like some people don't want to read your original post at all. Did you not see this??

"PLEASE do not tell me I'm crazy to do this after 1 game. I realize this. But this is all the data we have to work with, and I love Texans football, can't stop thinking about it, and thus will do it anyways."
Old 09-13-2006   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Man, this Chcken Little...The sky is falling routine is getting so old.
Oh, I wouldn't say the sky is falling. You're too late, 'cuz it fell in the Cleveland game in 2004 to end the season, if not sooner.

We're still trying to get it back off the ground.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #14
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Did we improve from last year? I don't think so from what I saw at Reliant on Sunday.

Carr had a good first drive and had some okay stats. But something smells funny when you QB has a rating of 100 and you score only 10 points with 50 yards total rushing.

Kubiak's play calling was the same as last year's fiasco. I am surprised he ran Lundy on 3-10 in the second quarter. And that 4 down pass play that was batted down was typical Capers crew play calling.

Look, Kubiak needs to install more of the offense or this is going to be an ugly first half of the season. Defenses are going to continue to stuff the line of scrimmage for runs and blitzing Carr until they can get the ball downfield and make them pay for that strategy.

We all know Kubiak knows what to do, or at least that is why he was hired. I think it is safe to assume, considering what he has said with regard to the progress of the offense, that he does not have full faith in a player or players to execute those plays.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In all fairness to fans, our franchise is 19-45. I'm not one to declare anything over after the first game, and I can drink koolaide with the best of 'em...but still, our first actual game revealed some serious issues with this team. And some of these issues are not new....5 sacks...no pressure on the opposing QB...coming out flat in the 2nd half...no consistent running game...

Of course I think we should give Kubiak & Co. a chance (how's four years?), but we can still discuss what we've seen. And some fans will grip over it, and others will remain calm and relaxed in their seats...but that's all part of the great kingdom of fanatics in the world of football.

I'm not calling you out, gjmac2, but just saying that it takes all kinds.
Old 09-13-2006   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Carr still not allowed to call audibles to anything he wants? I thought that was a major problem last year and it could still be. If he sees the blitz coming from a certain area, he needs to be able to adjust and audible to something that will allow him to burn that blitz, as opposed to just hoping it gets picked up. There is usually an easy and quick pass somewhere behind where the blitz is coming from or, if not, then the safety is biting in on that side and either AJ or Moulds needs to burn up the sideline--AND I MEAN REALLY BURN IT. Right now, that's what I'm thinking is not getting done. I would hate to be a QB who can't audible to what I feel is appropriate for the situation.

I know the Cardinals sucked (and so did we), but that was a real eye-opener.

When the blitz is coming say from the right side (speaking offensively) and that safety is biting in, Manning will call the audible and throw a lob pass to a wide-out who's high-tailing it down the sideline on that same right side. That is enough to make you consider never blitzing again. If the safety is not biting, then he will have somebody catch a quick pass about 7 yds. downfield and start hitting safeties.

If Carr is being prevented from calling audibles of his choosing and the reason is his overall lack of success in this league, then THAT IS A SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY or a bad, negative reinforcing cycle. He may not achieve success until he is treated like a successfull QB in the first place. It's like a kid in school that a teacher gives all the attention to and pushes because she thinks he is very bright. That kid excels, while the kids that are being ignored during all of this begin to decline. At some point, you gotta give Carr the wheel and see if he can drive this thing.

I know that this was his first game under Kubiak, but he is in his fifth year and it's high time he got real bullets for his 6 shooter. I don't even know if he is or isn't allowed to do it, but I thought I read some post saying that he isn't and that strikes me as a real problem.

Generally speaking, would you want to blitz a team really often that had Andre Johnson and Eric Moulds as wide-outs? What if they're QB had a gun for an arm? What if they had Putzier and others to go down the middle? Something smells funny here and I think it's a lack of audibles.

Last edited by HJam72; 09-13-2006 at 02:48 PM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #17
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Is Carr still not allowed to call audibles to anything he wants? I thought that was a major problem last year and it could still be. If he sees the blitz coming from a certain area, he needs to be able to adjust and audible to something that will allow him to burn that blitz, as opposed to just hoping it gets picked up. There is usually an easy and quick pass somewhere behind where the blitz is coming from or, if not, then the safety is biting in on that side and either AJ or Moulds needs to burn up the sideline--AND I MEAN REALLY BURN IT. Right now, that's what I'm thinking is not getting done. I would hate to be a QB who can't audible to what I feel is appropriate for the situation.

I know the Cardinals sucked (and so did we), but that was a real eye-opener.

When the blitz is coming say from the right side (speaking offensively) and that safety is biting in, Manning will call the audible and throw a lob pass to a wide-out who's high-tailing it down the sideline on that same right side. That is enough to make you consider never blitzing again. If the safety is not biting, then he will have somebody catch a quick pass about 7 yds. downfield and start hitting safeties.

If Carr is being prevented from calling audibles of his choosing and the reason is his overall lack of success in this league, then THAT IS A SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY or a bad, negative reinforcing cycle. He may not achieve success until he is treated like a successfull QB in the first place. It's like a kid in school that a teacher gives all the attention to and pushes because she thinks he is very bright. That kid excels, while the kids that are being ignored during all of this begin to decline. At some point, you gotta give Carr the wheel and see if he can drive this thing.

I know that this was his first game under Kubiak, but he is in his fifth year and it's high time he got real bullets for his 6 shooter. I don't even know if he is or isn't allowed to do it, but I thought I read some post saying that he isn't and that strikes me as a real problem.

Generally speaking, would you want to blitz a team really often that had Andre Johnson and Eric Moulds as wide-outs? What if they're QB had a gun for an arm? What if they had Putzier and others to go down the middle? Something smells funny here and I think it's a lack of audibles.
Exactly, very well said.

The Texans have seriously changed everything in the offense, down to personnel, except for David Carr, and it looks like the same old thing.

I know things will take a some time to change, but I didn't really see a glimmer of a prosperous future oustide of that first drive.
Old 09-13-2006   #18
fastpitchwoof
Rookie

This is a post I made in another thread.

I know we lost last week and we did not look like a contender.

But remember how bad we felt after 3:00pm last year on opening day. This year's Texans are far better than last year's Texans. WE HAVE STARTED OVER! It will take some time. My god, at least this year we can move the ball. It was even against a superior opponent (this year's Eagles vs last year's Bills). This year's Texans would soundly defeat last year's Texans. Isn't that progress? Isn't that what we want?

Too many people on this board want a video game fix with cheat codes. Real life doesn't work like that. How many teams have instant success when a new system is brought in. Hell, forget the system, we have replaced well over half of the starters.

I don't know how many of the Texan's players or coaches read these boards. But if you are, I support you. I am a fan. I do not like to lose. I want to embarrass Dallas. But I do realize that this will take some time and I support the Texans
Old 09-13-2006   #19
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

You can't take away our first drive and say, hey we're the same because we sucked as bad from there on as we did last year. It's like saying our offensive line protected well if you throw out those 5 plays where Carr got sacked. If you throw out those 7 plays that lead to a touchdown, our only touchdown, then yea our offense wasn't very productive was it?
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006   #20
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
You can't take away our first drive and say, hey we're the same because we sucked as bad from there on as we did last year. It's like saying our offensive line protected well if you throw out those 5 plays where Carr got sacked. If you throw out those 7 plays that lead to a touchdown, our only touchdown, then yea our offense wasn't very productive was it?
Very nice! Keep it up!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read