Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Would you ever change your opinion of Casserly ??
I never thought he was a bad GM 18 23.08%
He was,is, and always will be a bust as a GM 24 30.77%
Yes, If some of his picks stepped up; he'd be ok in my book 24 30.77%
No, Even if those players step up He will still have been a dissapointment 12 15.38%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2006   #1
real

Default Was Casserly really that Bad ?

Quote:
The last GM has turned out to be a huge joke as a talent evaluator.
Alot of posters have stated that they believe Casserly was a bust as a GM...Well i have a question...If D.Carr, Peek, Babin, T.J, Buchannon,D-Rob, Pitts, C.C, Earl, and all the rest of the players that had a hand in making a texan, turn out to be solid players/ live up to their potential, Will that change your perception of him ?

I'll be the first to admit that he made some questionable moves, but a lot of the players he picked or brought to the Texans are starting for us now...

Every GM makes bad picks...how bad was Casserly?
Old 09-12-2006   #2
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 2577 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

were still an expansion team in year 5! yes he is that BAD.(wade,smith,jppru,hollings,travisty johnson, etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!casserly makes baby jesus cry.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #3
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator
were still an expansion team in year 5! yes he is that BAD.(wade,smith,jppru,hollings,travisty johnson, etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!casserly makes baby jesus cry.
Jopru was injured..not his fault
Johnson is starting and has improved...

Im not sure who smith is..Robaire ? If so, I don't think that was a bad pick up..

And how much can you actually put on Casserly...The coaches are supposed to develop talent, and they didn't do that with anyone...
Old 09-12-2006   #4
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator
i'm pretty sure most of the picks were dom capers' decisions.
Old 09-12-2006   #5
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
You think So ?
Old 09-12-2006   #6
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
You think So ?
yeah. I think casserly was just a guy trying to keep his coaches and organization happy. i think he got caught up in the *******storm and ended up looking pretty bad.
Old 09-12-2006   #7
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12279 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah. I think casserly was just a guy trying to keep his coaches and organization happy. i think he got caught up in the *******storm and ended up looking pretty bad.
He did choose Owen Daniels who as of right now Kubiak loves the guy

Quote:
(on the play of TE Owen Daniels) “He played well. He played really well. He needs to stay on the field. You’re not going to see him come off as we go on. He’s another young player that’s going to make us better in the long-haul. I expect him to be here a long, long time. I was impressed. I asked him to hold up on (Eagles DE) Jevon Kearse a couple times so we could max-protect, and he did a heck of a job. I was very impressed with him.”

Old 09-12-2006   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly believe that in many of these cases Dom & staff had significant input. I don't put it all on Casserly just like I don't put it all on Dom. I think they were a marriage made in hell.
Old 09-12-2006   #9
real

I actually think Casserly did Ok...Look at detroits draft for the last three years...He got C.C late in the draft and he's starting now...He wasn't a draft genius but I think he was o.k...
Old 09-12-2006   #10
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
That was the excuse we were fed, but it really dosnt fit. Capers-3-4 defense, hard nosed running, a perfect game finishes 3-0.
High draft picks: Carr, QB, Gaffney WR, AJ WR etc.
Obviously there were some picks that conformed to his style, but there was way to much contradiction between phillosophy and practice for it to be the decision of one man only. CC screwed up and was kept on to serve as a figure head for the Mario pick, I think.

Then again, Capers leaves and the next year all 5 of our draftees are starters...who the hell knows....
Old 09-12-2006   #11
real

Even if we assume that Casserly was responsible for all of our draft picks...what does that mean ? We still have a lot of those picks contributing to us right now...
Old 09-12-2006   #12
SESupergenius

Quote:
I actually think Casserly did Ok...Look at detroits draft for the last three years...He got C.C late in the draft and he's starting now...He wasn't a draft genius but I think he was o.k...
And CC is great??? Yeah ok. Casserly was just weak. If he let the coaches pick the players then what is his job exactly? Scouting talent like Wade, PBuc, Boselli, etc????
Old 09-12-2006   #13
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Even if we assume that Casserly was responsible for all of our draft picks...what does that mean ? We still have a lot of those picks contributing to us right now...
Check.

Go Babs.
Old 09-12-2006   #14
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 2577 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

GUYS! cmon! i say it was at least 60% cass's fault over capers. they both
OVERPAID on wade, morlon
drafted joppru high in the second. that was a REACH
travisty johnson was a weak pick when carr kept getting sacked and we could have had barron.
Tony hollings top pick in 2nd rd!!(supp)
BABIN was a REACH, not to mention we got done by the titans on that trade.
PBUC, Brilliant!
Dave Ragone, 3RD ROUND pick.

the guy overpaid in the freeagent market, and could not draft in the 2, 3 rds.

he was BAD.
and i kinda agree with that other guy, it wasnt all on cass, but he was as much of the prob as capers.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He had to draft and sign players that fit Dom Capers and Vic Fangio's systems. Destined to fail at the get-go, but he made nice picks like Pro Bowlers AJ and Mathis, Dunta Robinson, Chester Pitts, Chad Stanley, Fred Weary, DD, and IMO, Travis Johnson, Jason Babin, Glenn Earl, CC Brown, and Vernand Morency.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #16
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i wont call casserly a "bust", but i will call him a "disappointment". from his results, i gather that he spent very little time observing the game of football. his decisions were made on hype and blind faith. buchannon & babin trades come to mind, along with the salaries given to weaver, robaire, wade, greendwood, and others. while it's great to trust the coaches opinions, decisions cant be made blindly upon them. someone has to hold the "NO" stamp, and casserly must've lost it in his desk. i really think casserly was little more than a turnstyle in the front office ... he didnt head up financial and was out-ranked by the coaches as far as acquiring & releasing players. because of this, there was almost no communication between the owners & staff ... which lead to outrageous salaries and players that obviously dont fit.

reeves had to be brought in to do casserly's job, and we'll see how that turns out. i'm not sure about yall, but i'm much more excited about this year's draft, coaching staff, & free agency than i have been for all 4 years combined from casserly.
Old 09-12-2006   #17
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21706 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Dom & Cass are gone, no need to bash them, what is done is done, it is what it is.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #18
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If you want to say that Capers was the problem, who recomended him for the job? Casserly. The first few years Casserly told McNair what he needed to do. This last fall McNair did things with out Casserly and now he is gone.

How many 1st day picks are currently out of the league? Go by that. How many big money FA are now paid league minumum if they are even in the league.

Casserly was a good Head of College Scouting, but he was a bad GM. He wanted all the credit and none of the blame, just like he did in Washington.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys, what about the expansion draft (found here: http://football.about.com/library/we...nsiondraft.htm) how many of those players turned out to be key players on our teams. The expansion draft is amazing, we should have done well from THERE. Bad in my book.

P.S. heres a list of players that were available: http://archive.profootballweekly.com..._draftlist.asp
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #20
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 62 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

No, is the answer to the question. Yes, he was one of our big past problems.

I thought this dead horse was mulch by now.....
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read