Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2006   #1
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 274 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Seriously: Did you see improvement?

We've read all of the bashing of the Texans for Game No. 1, but I ask, is there still optimism out there for this season?
I just watched the first drive against Philly on my DVR and I got chills again. I think they will respond...you've got to admit, their schedule is no cupcake.
I for one, am optimistic and will remain that way. GO TEXANS!
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan
I think they will respond...
This sounds eerily like Dom Capers saying that when you lose like this you have to look yourself in the mirror and see how you will respond to this.

J/K I think they will to but I have a feeling that it will be over looked by yet another L.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #3
real

We have a lot to be optimistic about...Even though Mario didn't play as well as I expected he played pretty good considering all things...I was actually impressed with Carr...We were in the game with a pretty good team untill the fourth quater...We have a lot to work on, and we have the right building blocks in place to build upon...
Old 09-12-2006   #4
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 274 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Great post, xtruroyaltyx. That's what I want to hear!!
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
We have a lot to be optimistic about...Even though Mario didn't play as well as I expected he played pretty good considering all things...I was actually impressed with Carr...We were in the game with a pretty good team untill the fourth quater...We have a lot to work on, and we have the right building blocks in place to build upon...
Absolutely, if David didn't go out of bounds on that 3rd down, we'd be talking about how David put this team on his shoulders.... no doubt we'd have gotten a defensive stop, and antoher score.

Next Week I hope to see Babin play opposite Mario with the first team. & Mario as a DE for the majority of the game.

We also need to see our LBs play the screen a lot better. I doubt Addai & Rhodes will burn us like WB did(can you believe an all pro QB kept checking down to his little dump off)....... But Dallas Clark.....

Our Safeties & LBs need to step up their coverages. Actually our Corners as well.
Old 09-12-2006   #6
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Unlike last year's season opener, the Texans were not blown out in a game where they had no hope to ever hang with the opposing team. This in itself is an improvement. Carr looked better. Houston did something they weren't able to do last season, which is consistently hit wide receivers. Moulds is night-and-day different from Bradford. The TE was used. Demeco looked great. I don't think last year I ever said of one player in the front defensive seven, "x looked great and really dominated the field." So change is in the air. The Texans are a million miles from where they were last year. I just think we're still a long way from seeing positive results.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #7
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The ironic thing is that our passing attack looked average but our rushing attack went by the wayside. That is totally flip-flopped from previous years.

We still have no semblance of a pass-rush on defense and have difficulty stopping the run. But otherwise our defense was good.
Old 09-12-2006   #8
real

I'm not sure why but it seems like there isn't much excitement leading up to the colts game...Are people conceding defeat ? I know it's a long shot but I think we can win every game now...Not that we will go undefeated, but unlike last year where I just knew we were going to lose, this year I actually believe that we can upset some people...
Old 09-12-2006   #9
humbleone
Veteran

Yes, I did see improvement:

(1) Fewer penalties...much improved over years past both preseason and Sunday.

(2) AJ actually saw "man" coverage again...picking up Moulds was a definate improvement over Gaffney

(3) Carr, with the exception of two plays, look more comfortable (more like he did in '04), did not stare down his primary receiver etc...

humbleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #10
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
I'm not sure why but it seems like there isn't much excitement leading up to the colts game...Are people conceding defeat ? I know it's a long shot but I think we can win every game now...Not that we will go undefeated, but unlike last year where I just knew we were going to lose, this year I actually believe that we can upset some people...
Most people felt that if we couldn't beat the Eagles, then we can't beat the Colts. I, however, feel that the Eagles will win the NFC East and that we will beat the Colts. We shocked the Eagles in the first and Indy's run defense isn't nearly as good as the Eagles is so I'm predicting it won't get shut down this game. Also, the DL won't have have to focus on controlling gaps for Peyton to run through on passing downs, they can just recklessly (Sorta) go at him.
Old 09-12-2006   #11
NRowl
Rookie

I was very impressed with Carr and the passing game. Before you Carr haters flip out over the first sentence, hear me out.

Noone should have had unrealistic expectations of Carr having a flawless game. He is not going to go from "The previous coaching staff messed with his head so bad that his career is ruined" to a great QB in just one offseason. I was impressed by Carr's ability to spread the ball around. In previous seasons it always seemed as if he would look towards AJ then dump it off the DD, in Sunday's game Carr had 18 completions - 6 to AJ, 6 to Moulds, and six to the rest of the team. With our top 2 receivers being as good as they are - I like that ratio.

I gained lots of respect for Kubiak's coaching ability and got excited thinking about the offense once with we get our running game down.
NRowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know, man...but I never felt like we were in the game in the second half. Our offense had the ball less than 9 minutes of that half, and IIRC, our three possessions were punt / punt / downs. Maybe we were still in the game score-wise, but I just never had the sense that we were going to bust out with a come-from-behind victory.

The positives I take from the game is Moulds is a great acquisition and will be one of our most valuable players, Ryans is simply a beast and brings it every play, and Carr can be a serviceable QB (at least as good as a Trent Dilfer kind of way).

I agree, though, that we have a lot to be optimistic about. No need to get down on the Kubiak era this early in the game. It would serve no purpose, because he'll be here at least four seasons (or longer).
Old 09-12-2006   #13
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I don't know, man...but I never felt like we were in the game in the second half. Our offense had the ball less than 9 minutes of that half, and IIRC, our three possessions were punt / punt / downs. Maybe we were still in the game score-wise, but I just never had the sense that we were going to bust out with a come-from-behind victory.
Yeah I meant score wise...We were in it all the way untill our last offensive series...True they're play wasn't inspiring, but football is so much better when you have a team that you actually think can win...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
The positives I take from the game is Moulds is a great acquisition and will be one of our most valuable players, Ryans is simply a beast and brings it every play, and Carr can be a serviceable QB (at least as good as a Trent Dilfer kind of way).

I think Carr is better than Dilfer...But this offense is designed for mobile, servieable QB's so I truly expect Carr to shine...
Old 09-12-2006   #14
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default when do we get the 'new' stuff?

My biggest concern is there is too much "caperism" in our first game scenario.

1) Kubiak said the Texans would do whatever it took to win.
2) Kubiak said it was his job to put players in situations they could excel at.
3) kubiak said the best players would play.
4) Kubiak said all phases of the game would be aggressive.

Things we were hoping not to see
1) getting a lead and sitting on it
2) playing the game close-'you don't score, we won't score'
3) counting on the 4th qtr to get back in the game
4) finding something that worked (Carr/passing on the 1st drive-blitzing in the pre-season) and not doing it again
5) sticking with things/schemes that aren't working
6) passive play calling
7) using the TE for almost 100% blocking
8) constant pressure on Carr
9) unable to put pressure on the opposing QB
10) unable to stop the run
11) no game time adjustments
12) weak game plan

IMO, there was too much of the 'old' and very little of the 'new' in this game, and this thought only got worse as the game went along. Where was all the 'whatever it takes to win' game plan? Where were the 'game time' adjustments to fix what was not working? Where was the agressiveness? Where was the attacking?

I can accept losing, just not like last year anymore, as we 'progress' with everything new. We gave Capers a 'long leash' and we NEVER questioned his broken promises until it was too late. Would it have helped to hold him accountable sooner than later? I don't know but I do know ignoring the 'warning signs' did not work either.

IMO, we need to listen to Kubiak and be 'wary' of what he promises and what we see on the field and question him about 'what happened?' For example, in pre-season, we were 'all over' the opposing QB with blitzes every where and thought-finally-we found our pressure 'solution.' But no. Everything changes in our 1st game--zero blitzing, zero pressure, and ultimate disaster...Then, out of the 'blue,' Kubiak says in his post game comments that he doesn't want to blitz. He wants the 'front four' to apply whatever pressure is needed. HELL-O! Where did this thought all of a sudden come from? Has Manning read this yet? Well, surprise surprise, it didn't work as our 4 could not beat their 6-7.

And, to make it worse, we NEVER made any adjustments.

OK, enough ranting, as I'm sure I'm probally the only one concerned here and-with time- everything will get 'all better.' I wonder if I could put 'time/better' in a bottle and sell it?
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
My biggest concern is there is too much "caperism" in our first game scenario.

1) Kubiak said the Texans would do whatever it took to win.
2) Kubiak said it was his job to put players in situations they could excel at.
3) kubiak said the best players would play.
4) Kubiak said all phases of the game would be aggressive.

Things we were hoping not to see
1) getting a lead and sitting on it
2) playing the game close-'you don't score, we won't score'
3) counting on the 4th qtr to get back in the game
4) finding something that worked (Carr/passing on the 1st drive-blitzing in the pre-season) and not doing it again
5) sticking with things/schemes that aren't working
6) passive play calling
7) using the TE for almost 100% blocking
8) constant pressure on Carr
9) unable to put pressure on the opposing QB
10) unable to stop the run
11) no game time adjustments
12) weak game plan

IMO, there was too much of the 'old' and very little of the 'new' in this game, and this thought only got worse as the game went along. Where was all the 'whatever it takes to win' game plan? Where were the 'game time' adjustments to fix what was not working? Where was the agressiveness? Where was the attacking?

I can accept losing, just not like last year anymore, as we 'progress' with everything new. We gave Capers a 'long leash' and we NEVER questioned his broken promises until it was too late. Would it have helped to hold him accountable sooner than later? I don't know but I do know ignoring the 'warning signs' did not work either.

IMO, we need to listen to Kubiak and be 'wary' of what he promises and what we see on the field and question him about 'what happened?' For example, in pre-season, we were 'all over' the opposing QB with blitzes every where and thought-finally-we found our pressure 'solution.' But no. Everything changes in our 1st game--zero blitzing, zero pressure, and ultimate disaster...Then, out of the 'blue,' Kubiak says in his post game comments that he doesn't want to blitz. He wants the 'front four' to apply whatever pressure is needed. HELL-O! Where did this thought all of a sudden come from? Has Manning read this yet? Well, surprise surprise, it didn't work as our 4 could not beat their 6-7.

And, to make it worse, we NEVER made any adjustments.

OK, enough ranting, as I'm sure I'm probally the only one concerned here and-with time- everything will get 'all better.' I wonder if I could put 'time/better' in a bottle and sell it?
...Calm down
Old 09-12-2006   #16
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I saw improvement. We have a lot of little things and a couple of big things to do better, but we were improved. We lost to a better team and we'll only move up from here.
Old 09-12-2006   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

We were not in the game at all in the second half.

They adjusted at half and kicked our rears the rest of the game.

Thinking we have a chance against Indy is foolish. I like the rah-rah! just as weell as others, but it won't secure a victory.

We're an 8-8 team at best. Me thinks that the preseason has misled us. Perhaps we cared more about making a good showing in the preseason than the teams we played...because we looked 100% opposite of how we looked in preseason.

Granted, the opening drive was a thing of beauty. But we've got to do that all game long. You honestly THINK we can hang with Peyton for an entire game? I don't.
Old 09-12-2006   #18
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
We were not in the game at all in the second half.

They adjusted at half and kicked our rears the rest of the game.

Thinking we have a chance against Indy is foolish. I like the rah-rah! just as weell as others, but it won't secure a victory.

We're an 8-8 team at best. Me thinks that the preseason has misled us. Perhaps we cared more about making a good showing in the preseason than the teams we played...because we looked 100% opposite of how we looked in preseason.

Granted, the opening drive was a thing of beauty. But we've got to do that all game long. You honestly THINK we can hang with Peyton for an entire game? I don't.
Drink some Kool-Aid Its helped me. If our Def. shows up I think we compeat and keep it not close but .......within reason. We have played Indy. though in the past.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #19
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I saw improvement. I thought our offensive playcalling was better. DC and his receivers played better than in the past. Our defense was piss poor, just like last year. Our offensive line looked better overall in pass protection, but only marginally. Our run blocking looked horrendous, not sure if it was us playing poorly or the Eagles just punching us in the mouth. Our defensive front 7 still can't generate pressure on the QB, and that's the biggest disappointment for me. We went out and acquired 2 new players for our DL, and switched to a 4-3 front and we looked effectively the same to me. I hope Richard Smith can come up with a way to get to the QB, and I hope Mario will give us a glimmer of his potential. I don't need a 3 sack game, I just need to see the quarterback rushing his throws from time to time, or maybe running in fear from our 1st rounder.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #20
geofb
Veteran

I think we are headed in the right direction, but we have a long way to go. There is no way we will have a winning record this year. But even 6 or 7 wins will be a big improvement.

I was a little frustrated that quite a few people sitting around me Sunday were basically dogging Carr and the whole team the entire game. Apparently they think we should be playoff bound this year. After a 2-14 season it is unrealistic to expect miracles the very next season.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read