Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2006   #1
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 14294 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Reason for Philly's good D

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/15490011.htm

Going for wholesale substitutions on the defensive line, defensive coordinator Jim Johnson borrowed a page from Ken Hitchcock's hockey playbook, bringing in the first line - Kearse, Mike Patterson, Darwin Walker and Darren Howard - for one series then turning to the backup line of Juqua Thomas, LaJuan Ramsey, Brodrick Bunkley and Trent Cole for the next.

It was unusual, innovative and most important, extremely effective. The Eagles sacked David Carr five times and hurried him seven more, with the two lines splitting up the work. Cole had two sacks and two hurries, Kearse had one of each as did Thomas and Bunkley added a hurry.

"Not in my 8 years in the NFL, 4 years in college and 4 years in high school [have I seen this]," Kearse said. "You just don't do this kind of thing, but it worked out for us
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 70964 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess it works out when you have a good rotation of D linemen, and not much depth on the offensive linemen. Kudos to Philly.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #3
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea, we got out-coached thats for sure. Give it a little time, everybody will improve, hopefully.
Old 09-12-2006   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking the Texans would do something like that coming into the game. It seems like we have a pretty good stockpile of D-Linemen.

I thought we would shuttle them like the Cowboys used to.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #5
Mayor_McCheese
Rookie

The Eagles are going to have good depth on the D line.

The Texans already look a little better this year but I'm afraid they're are going to be 02 after this weekend
Mayor_McCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #6
Mayor_McCheese
Rookie

sorry guys but Kubes was just out coached in the game.. also poor clock management at the end of the first half. This allowed my Eagles to take the lead going into half time.
Mayor_McCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #7
SESupergenius

Yes he was outcoached on his first game, he gets a little slack for that. But what we saw from this team going toe to toe with the Eagles into the 4th quarter was good enough for me to have some satisfaction. We will only get better.
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2006   #8
Jerome_Brown_99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx
Yea, we got out-coached thats for sure. Give it a little time, everybody will improve, hopefully.
I actually don't think it was coaching at all. Look, you guys have to understand that you are starting 5 rookies. FIVE! That's 1/4 of your team in their very first NFL game. Add to that a completely new OL (which was already one of the lesser units in the NFL) and you being without DD, and the outcome was pretty clear if you weren't drinking the cool-aid.

They are going to have growing pains. They went out against an absolutely loaded team - I tried to tell you guys that, but some weren't having it. The Eagles are a Super Bowl caliber team. We have weapons all over the field on both sides of the ball.

Your team was simply over matched by a more talented, more experienced team.

The key, like you said, is to give it time. The Texans are going to be good 2-3 years from now. But rght now the important thing is to get your young guys experience, and get the system in place.
Old 09-12-2006   #9
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome_Brown_99
I actually don't think it was coaching at all. Look, you guys have to understand that you are starting 5 rookies. FIVE! That's 1/4 of your team in their very first NFL game. Add to that a completely new OL (which was already one of the lesser units in the NFL) and you being without DD, and the outcome was pretty clear if you weren't drinking the cool-aid.

They are going to have growing pains. They went out against an absolutely loaded team - I tried to tell you guys that, but some weren't having it. The Eagles are a Super Bowl caliber team. We have weapons all over the field on both sides of the ball.

Your team was simply over matched by a more talented, more experienced team.

The key, like you said, is to give it time. The Texans are going to be good 2-3 years from now. But rght now the important thing is to get your young guys experience, and get the system in place.
I agree with most of what you have to say, BUT, I really would have loved to see what happened if those last 3 minutes of the first half were differant.

By the way, do you guys realize they score 14 out of 24 point in a 5 minute span? The last minute of the 1st and the 1st drive of the second, take that away and we were tied at 10. Obviously the game got away from us in the 4th quarter, but we're closer to a good team then most realize.
Old 09-12-2006   #10
Jerome_Brown_99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
I agree with most of what you have to say, BUT, I really would have loved to see what happened if those last 3 minutes of the first half were differant.

By the way, do you guys realize they score 14 out of 24 point in a 5 minute span? The last minute of the 1st and the 1st drive of the second, take that away and we were tied at 10. Obviously the game got away from us in the 4th quarter, but we're closer to a good team then most realize.
It wouldn't have been any different. The Eagles ALWAYS start slow, particularly in season openers. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Texans by saying that, just pointing out that's how the Eagles play.

If you look, the Birds dominated that 2nd half offensively. We simply gave Westy the ball. He didn't get many touches in the first half. That was by design. We spread it around, to stretch the defense, then gave it to our best playmaker.

If we were down/tied going into the 2nd half, you would have seen what this offense can really do.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read