Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2006   #1
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Horseshoes

This is my first season reading this board during the season. When do we start talking smack about the Colts? Should I go into full smack mode that totally disregards reality or should I be realistic?

Here's my realistic view:

I think our running game is going to be better against the Colts than it was against the Eagles but I'm really worried about their pass rush. Hopefully DC will continue to improve but this one's going to be hard. We might be able to put up some points and that's our only hope at this point.

Of course, on the defensive side, I'm afraid Peyton is going to light us up like a Christmas tree. Now, we should be able to stop their running game but if we are so bad against the run that we make Addai and Rhodes look like the second comings of OJ Simpson and Jim Brown, then it's going to be a looooooooong year. I think it's still too early for our defense to be up to this challenge.

In the past, we've played the Dolts hard but we've never won. I don't expect to come away with a win this week and I'm just hoping it won't get too bloody.

So... what do y'all think?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck
This is my first season reading this board during the season. When do we start talking smack about the Colts? Should I go into full smack mode that totally disregards reality or should I be realistic?

Here's my realistic view:

I think our running game is going to be better against the Colts than it was against the Eagles but I'm really worried about their pass rush. Hopefully DC will continue to improve but this one's going to be hard. We might be able to put up some points and that's our only hope at this point.

Of course, on the defensive side, I'm afraid Peyton is going to light us up like a Christmas tree. Now, we should be able to stop their running game but if we are so bad against the run that we make Addai and Rhodes look like the second comings of OJ Simpson and Jim Brown, then it's going to be a looooooooong year. I think it's still too early for our defense to be up to this challenge.

In the past, we've played the Dolts hard but we've never won. I don't expect to come away with a win this week and I'm just hoping it won't get too bloody.

Make adjustments where you can and bring the kitchen sink. You can't learn by doing more of the same and playing conservative. Bring the pain and make the corrections via scheme or personnel in the off season. 2007 is the target year, anyone saying otherwise is selling something.
Old 09-11-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

For the most part.. we keep our smack to ourselves unless we are up against the Jaguars or Cowboys

Mostly because we have nothing to back up our claims hehe. I look forward to the day when we are a playoff team, so that I can talk smack to some of these arrogant S.O.B.s that dog us.

As for this week. I think it will be an easier game than last week to be honest with you. Why, I dunno.. just that the Colts dont seem quite as aggressive on defense (though they have Freeney)..and thier offense, while it makes HUGE plays and will eat you alive.. it doesnt seem to have that same brand of trickery which made us look like dunces yesterday (though the colts run a mean screen pass).

All in all, I think its gonna be very tough..but a win IS a possibility. Ill be hoping really really hard for the win, because beating the colts would pretty much erase all the negativity that came from the philly loss. If we can beat the colts.. AND have Williams get about 5 tackles, 1-2 sacks, and a FF or blocked pass... that would be freakin awesome.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #4
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Well one thing we learned yesterday from the Colts and Giants game is that their running game isn't what it used to be. Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes didn't run all that well. So we have to do what the Giants did yesterday, which is to force Manning to throw into coverage. He'll still beat you but this gives us a better chance. But once again if both side of our line don't play well we won't win.
Old 09-11-2006   #5
WILLIEG
Veteran

Spencer is going to be a lot of trouble facing Freeney. And our secondary is going to be exploited more this week than last week. We are in for a long first half on the season, but we should see some brighter days whenever the compitiion gets easier during the second half of the season. As long as we improve in the new system and get better then I'll be happy whatever record we have wind up with.
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #6
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we will win Sunday but I do hope to see improvement - especially in our running game and defense.

As long as we improve - we will be ok over the long haul.

Go Texans!
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #7
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

you should go to the indy board and talk smack. that way if by some insane unforseable circumstance we win. you will look like a prophet.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2006   #8
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
you should go to the indy board and talk smack. that way if by some insane unforseable circumstance we win. you will look like a prophet.
lol, but then you will look like an idiot if we get killed.
Old 09-11-2006   #9
ColtsFan in CA
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farough
lol, but then you will look like an idiot if we get killed.
Not really we have been dealing with Patriot trolls for three years...it would be refreshing to see you guys...
ColtsFan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #10
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I don't think the Colts D compares to the Eagles D, and not their pass rush either. OTOH the Colts offense is probably better. Addai IMO is a capable back and of course the only way you can hope to stop Manning is to successfully, consistently pressure him. The Colts O-line isn't going to be much if any worse than the Eagles', so the pressure is going to have to come from improved performance on our D-line and better playcalling.

Our coaches will watch tape and learn from last game's mistakes.

This game is winnable but we're going to have to improve from yesterday.
Old 09-12-2006   #11
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Using the only metrics we have, the 4 preseason games and week 1's performance, the Colts have the worst rushing average in the NFL at 2.4 yards per carry.

Peyton's whole game is play action. If coaches recognize the Colts no longer have a workable running game, the Colts are in for several big surprises this year. We all know what happens when the defense comes after him, and play action takes longer to develop - i.e. more time for rushers if they don't have to worry about staying home in case it really is a run.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #12
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsFan in CA
Not really we have been dealing with Patriot trolls for three years...it would be refreshing to see you guys...
Patriot trolls!?...guess I missed that-can't even remember one
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #13
Timbuck2
Rookie

Default r u kiddin me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
For the most part.. we keep our smack to ourselves unless we are up against the Jaguars or Cowboys

Mostly because we have nothing to back up our claims hehe. I look forward to the day when we are a playoff team, so that I can talk smack to some of these arrogant S.O.B.s that dog us.

As for this week. I think it will be an easier game than last week to be honest with you. Why, I dunno.. just that the Colts dont seem quite as aggressive on defense (though they have Freeney)..and thier offense, while it makes HUGE plays and will eat you alive.. it doesnt seem to have that same brand of trickery which made us look like dunces yesterday (though the colts run a mean screen pass).

All in all, I think its gonna be very tough..but a win IS a possibility. Ill be hoping really really hard for the win, because beating the colts would pretty much erase all the negativity that came from the philly loss. If we can beat the colts.. AND have Williams get about 5 tackles, 1-2 sacks, and a FF or blocked pass... that would be freakin awesome.
the only way super mario touches peyton this week is if he's playing de, takes off 5 seconds before the snap, and the running back can't get his hands on his shoulder pads and stand him up. freakin awesome is if we're within 7 points at the end of the game. just kiddin
Old 09-12-2006   #14
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

This is our year to beat the Colts, hopefully on thier home turf like everyone else does to us.......
Old 09-12-2006   #15
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans need to play angry and with a chip on thier shoulders.

They should be pissed about being on every other teams highlight reels.

They need to take it personally.
Old 09-12-2006   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck
This is my first season reading this board during the season. When do we start talking smack about the Colts?

When smack talking the Colts, try not to say something you will regret five minutes after the game starts. Something like, we are gonna win this game, or Payton is going down or Freeney is overated.

In short, don't embarrass yourself.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #17
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

As horrendous as the Houston schedule is, scheduling helps the Texans out against the Colts. The first time the Texans play them, it is between the Giants and the Jags. They could "blow Houston off" and the team start looking to the Jags. Ill-prepared, the Texans could give the Colts a real run for the money.

The second time the Texans play them, heck - it's the end of the season and they could be resting Peyton. On the other hand, it is nestled between Cin City and Miami. Again, there is the potential that the Texans could be overlooked.

But I think the Colts are building towards the Jags game, and it being so early in the season, the Texans won't be overlooked. I think the Texans' first win against the Colts will come at home on Christmas Eve.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #18
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

we're going to need to use more rollouts and have a more effective play action game.
Old 09-12-2006   #19
SESupergenius

I won't talk smack (Avatar is doing that). But we seemed to have played the Colts well the last few times, maybe they were letting up. Our defense needs to bring something other than towels to wipe off the turf from their faces.
Old 09-12-2006   #20
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate to say it, and I mean really hate, but we're going to get smoked. Here's to me being wrong. I was last week, so lets go for two in a row!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read