Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-11-2006   #1
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2007 FA/Draft!

OK, just for fun, and based on what you've seen in the preseason and this first game, who or what positions do you think the Texans/Kubiak will pick or should pick in the 2007 Free Agency/Draft? I know there are plenty of people out there who think Kubiak (and yes this is Kubes pick) screwed up by picking Mario. But, since we can't go back and change things, I was hoping to try and get some of you to look forward and see what you think Kubes should do (even though he probably won't).

IMO I still think they will go after more linemen, both offensive and defensive. Why? Because IMO that is where we lost the game. In the trenches! Sure, we may get another RB, maybe even go after Peterson (sp?) from Oklahoma, but I still think Kubes will try to build this team from the inside first! JMHO! What do y'all think?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop
OK, just for fun, and based on what you've seen in the preseason and this first game, who or what positions do you think the Texans/Kubiak will pick or should pick in the 2007 Free Agency/Draft? I know there are plenty of people out there who think Kubiak (and yes this is Kubes pick) screwed up by picking Mario. But, since we can't go back and change things, I was hoping to try and get some of you to look forward and see what you think Kubes should do (even though he probably won't).

IMO I still think they will go after more linemen, both offensive and defensive. Why? Because IMO that is where we lost the game. In the trenches! Sure, we may get another RB, maybe even go after Peterson (sp?) from Oklahoma, but I still think Kubes will try to build this team from the inside first! JMHO! What do y'all think?
This should be a week 16 thread.
Old 09-11-2006   #3
afcman
Veteran

Too early to tell. I can't wait though.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK I'll play .

1. CB
2. A Penn State LB
3 .OL/DL
4. WR
5. S
6. RB
7. HB
Old 09-11-2006   #5
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 985 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say a Heisman RB Peterson.. If we pass on him and get any other position we will have to see twice as many comparison threads as we have now with the Bush/Williams era.
But honestly he will go quick and we are probably going to end up in the middle with like a number 16 pick, unless we trade up.
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #6
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
This should be a week 16 thread.

Yeah I know, but I'm trying/hoping to get some of these people who keep wanting to change the past and whinning about "what we should have done" to try and focus on the future and "what we could do." I guess I'm just tired of hearing it and want to move on.
Old 09-11-2006   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
OK I'll play .

1. CB
2. A Penn State LB
3 .OL/DL
4. WR
5. S
6. RB
7. HB
I agree with this but I think WR and RB are swapped.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2006   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop
Yeah I know, but I'm trying/hoping to get some of these people who keep wanting to change the past and whinning about "what we should have done" to try and focus on the future and "what we could do." I guess I'm just tired of hearing it and want to move on.
I hear ya bud. We're on the same page. That said, what do ya'll think of Marcus Griffin (S) for Texas. Maybe Tom Zbikowski (S) for Notre Dame? I think they look pretty good. Any thoughts?
Old 09-11-2006   #9
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 985 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

fast forward to 2014 Draft and we select Derrick Carr from UT.

crowd cheers

eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

If AP is there, we should not pass on him. Other than that, a good safety or other DB. Maybe a speed rusher in the late rounds.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hear ya bud. We're on the same page. That said, what do ya'll think of Marcus Griffin (S) for Texas. Maybe Tom Zbikowski (S) for Notre Dame? I think they look pretty good. Any thoughts?
I think Zbikowski could be real good. He is strong, quick and has a nose for the endzone. He could also do punt returns.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #12
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I know Griffin is pretty good but I haven't seen the other guy play yet. We definately need some help at the safety position. Just not sure Kubes will go that way with their 1st pick.
Old 09-11-2006   #13
real

Quote:
I say we get both if we can..lol..our safeties are pitiful...
Old 09-11-2006   #14
Lexington
Rookie

weve neglected to do anything about fielding a solid offensive line in our franchise history. i would hope these "intelligent" football minds would decide to address it properly some day.
Lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #15
afcman
Veteran

Can we draft a new front office? You know? People who know football? Stuff like that?
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #16
Xman
Veteran

1st - Adrian Peterson
2nd - Adrian Peterson
3rd - Adrian Peterson
4th - Adrian Peterson
5th - Adrian Peterson
6th - Adrian Peterson
7th - Adrian Peterson

But, seriously,
1st - Adrian Peterson (even if we have to trade up - which I doubt)
2nd - an OL to block for Adrian Peterson
3rd - a CB so we can give the ball to Adrian Peterson
4th - a S so we can give the ball to Adrian Peterson
5th - an OLB so we can get the ball for Adrian Peterson
6th - a DT so we can get the ball for Adrian Peterson
7th - a K to kick the extra points after Adrian Peterson scores

AP is the real deal. I looked at the Jets draft this year and it made me think they were preparing to suck so they could get him in the draft (possibly O'Quinn but I think they want AP) - and they still might despite picking up their first win. AP would like running behind Ferguson and Mangold a lot more than our guys, but we can hope we get AP (of course that means we are hoping that we lose a lot this year)
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #17
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I am assuming a top 10 pick. I am looking for best player available from the LB, DB, WR, DT. In the first round.

In the second which ever position I went in the first , I exclude and then do it again.

Peterson should be a top 4 pick and I do not see us being in that group. We should never trade up in the early first until our core talent is solid. I also think unless a stud WR slids to us we are going Defense on every 1st day pick.

2nd day look at RB, OG and center. Kubiak will draft RB almost every year. Get used to it.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #18
WILLIEG
Veteran

As much as I would love to get AP, I would think it would be in the best interest of the organization to trade down as far as they could to get an LT if Spencer (better suuited as a guard) doesn't work out. And if he does work out then we should pick up another DT or DE. We should try to pick up at least one if not possibly two extra picks in the second round, so that we can go after our secondary. It might be a possibility that we could actually pick up M. Bush in the second, because of him breaking his leg and missing the season. The draft will be deep at the secondary postion and the second is where we should pick up a couple. If we trade down far enough like 15-20 we could even pick up a very good FS to complete our lack of talent at the postion.
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIEG
As much as I would love to get AP, I would think it would be in the best interest of the organization to trade down as far as they could to get an LT if Spencer (better suuited as a guard) doesn't work out. And if he does work out then we should pick up another DT or DE. We should try to pick up at least one if not possibly two extra picks in the second round, so that we can go after our secondary. It might be a possibility that we could actually pick up M. Bush in the second, because of him breaking his leg and missing the season. The draft will be deep at the secondary postion and the second is where we should pick up a couple. If we trade down far enough like 15-20 we could even pick up a very good FS to complete our lack of talent at the postion.
I understand your point but AP in Kubiaks system, one cut then straight downhill would be stupid to pass on, especially with DD status up in the air and unproven talent @ RB. Pass on Reggie Bush, alright but pass on Adrian Peterson its on

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006   #20
RiotCommander
All Pro

Send a message via ICQ to RiotCommander Send a message via AIM to RiotCommander

Alright based only on yesterdays game and preseason. This is what I would draft.

1.) CB
2.) OLB
3.) DT
4.) RB
5.) S
6.) LB
7.) BPA

In FA I would be looking for a space eater at the DT to replace Payne. Also, look for us to grab a Guard. We are going to build inside out, and my predictions also include this year Eric Winston eventually being worked into starting RT by the end of the year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read